Italian units in Greece

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
diciassette2000

Italian units in Greece

Post by diciassette2000 » 25 Apr 2010, 12:32

Dear friends,
I am searching about the italian units in Greece, especially in 1942-1943. I am sure that exixst also maps at NARA with the location of italian army units. If anyone had them please tell me . Thankyou in advance.

pavlos1988

Re: Italian units in Greece

Post by pavlos1988 » 04 Jul 2010, 17:16

I think that some italian units in Greece were Forli and Pinerrolo.

Messe62

Post by Messe62 » 25 Feb 2017, 06:46

I can direct you where you can look but are you looking for stories or histories of units that served there or just a list.

Messe62

Post by Messe62 » 25 Feb 2017, 06:47

I can direct you where you can look but are you looking for stories or histories of units that served there or just a list.

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 26 Feb 2017, 23:48

Messe62 wrote:I can direct you where you can look but are you looking for stories or histories of units that served there or just a list.
Messe62, I'm not the original poster, but I do have a question you might be able to answer if you could be so kind -- which Italian units were involved in the defense of the Gorgopotamos bridge during the SOE/partisan attack on it in November 1942? Thank you in advance.

Messe62

Post by Messe62 » 03 Mar 2017, 05:06

I need a little time but I can probably find that out.

Messe62

Post by Messe62 » 03 Mar 2017, 06:18

11th Army Commanded by Generale Carlo Geloso was the Occupation army at the time. The army comprised 7 divisions. Brennero,Forli,Pinerolo, Piemonte, Cagliari, Casale and Modena all infantry formations except Modena which was considered a Mountain Infantry Division. There were other italian formtations in Greece as well. What I can find out is that the Italian Infantry Division Firenze was "broken up" and sent in various pieces to be used as garrison troops and sent to numerous places. Part of the Operation as I understand it was to neutralize the Italian garrisonn while other units stopped any reinforcements from arriving either by road or rail. Two sources I found indicate that one of the reinforcement units was a CCNN or Blackshirt Legion. This eliminates a few divisions because not all had blackshirt units assigned to them although they were supposed to. Both the Piedmonte and the Pinerolo had blackshirt legions and so did the Modena. Now the "Broken up" division I spoke of Firenze also had a Blackshirt Legion but it had been sent to help the Germans combat partisans in Yugoslavia. IF the sources are correct, and Blackshirts WERE the Reinforcements that were sent by road then the unit is highly likely to be one of the three I mentioned, ie, the ones that had blackshirt legions. What screws this up a bit is that one source reports that the reinforcements that came by rail were Alpini troops. The 11th Army possessed no Alpine troops. (officially anyway). But its unlikely that they were in fact Alpine troops. I believe it was a mistake. The TRUE reinforcments the source refers to were troops of the Modena Division which was "officially" a Mountain Division.The source mistakes "Mountain infantry" for "Alpini" troops both of which had similar functions.Modena also contained A Blackshirt Legion The "Cristoforo Colombo" Legion. Its therefore (until I can consult a Greek friend of mine) my belief that the Italian troops that directly opposed the SOE operation were POSSIBLY a garrison unit from "Firenze" or a unit from "Modena" assigned to garrison duty and that the reinforcements QUITE PROBABLY came from the Modena DIvision. I hope this helps more thna it confuses you.

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 04 Mar 2017, 17:56

Messe62 wrote:I hope this helps more than it confuses you.
Thank you very much, Messe62, that was quite helpful. I've never found anything in English that was even that precise. I look forward to hearing if your friend has even more specifics.

Messe62

Post by Messe62 » 04 Mar 2017, 22:45

I can direct you to my sources. And please remember I did the best I could with the available info...its not a guarentee i made a couple reasonable assumptions.

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 05 Mar 2017, 22:54

there was also a locally-raised auxiliary unit «Roman Legion» from Vlachs of Thessaly (Latin/Aromanian cultural group)

BarKokhba

Post by BarKokhba » 06 Mar 2017, 02:42

Guys, did the Italian divisions mentioned remain in Greece (except for the one sent to Yugoslavia) until the German pull-out, or were they sent elsewhere? Besides garrison duty, did they see action in Greece or participate in any anti-resistance sweeps there?

Messe62

Post by Messe62 » 06 Mar 2017, 05:54

Many Italian units that were on Garrison duty stayed there until the September 8th surrender. Then? it got real ugly. A lot of Italian units were ruthlessly disarmed and the Italian soldiers shipped off to Germany as factory labor or to become POWs. Others? got off lightly when they joined the Germans and continued to fight. Some like the Acqui Division were massacred to a man by the Germans. Others offered the Germans resistance and some units simply melted away actually joining the partisans. Anti Partisan Sweeps?....Although not easy to believe perhaps or relatively unknown is the fact that the Italians commited MANY MANY acts of extreme brutality in Both Greece and Yugoslavia. Italian troops made many anti guerrila sweeps and conducted an agressive "Anti-partisan" war, thier actions rivaling thier allies the Germans. They deported hundreds of thousands, established concentration camps, conducted massacres and were extremely brutal at times. In Greece? The Domenikon Massacre comes to my mind first off but there were many many others. A number of former Italian leaders were put on trial and executed by the allies for war crimes but in general the Italians got off easy ans the Post war Italian govt refused to extradite accused criminals to either Greece or Yugoslavia.

zaptiè

Post by zaptiè » 06 Mar 2017, 21:04

Every italian division have an organic CCNN Legion of size of a Regiment ( in theory).
tHe Vlach Legion was in Pindus area from local Arumenians , but has very few members and served on platoon level like scouts to italian units.
There where also some small units of etnic Macedonians armed by italians to fight partisans

zaptiè

Post by zaptiè » 06 Mar 2017, 21:14

Dont' forgot the Dodecaneso garrison with the Regina division . These 12 islands is a de facto italian colony from 1912 and have also navy, air force units and a Carabinieri Legion (Mp- gendarmerie) , a Guardia di Finanza Legion( excise guards) and a CCNN legion " Conte Verde" raised from local italians and some indigenus Carabinieri called " Carabinieri di Rodi e Castelrosso".

BarKokhba

Post by BarKokhba » 07 Mar 2017, 02:03

Thank you Messe62. Somehow this theatre of thecwar is overlooked, especially the role and fate of Il Duce's glorious army there.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”