8th Bersaglieri Regiment

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
dor1941

Re: 8th Bersaglieri Regiment

Post by dor1941 » 11 Mar 2011, 04:16

JBond wrote: I am saying they lost 800+ men in CRUSADER, which they had to make up somehow. Disbanding a battalion and re-distributing it seems a good way of doing so.
Can't argue with that :)

What I was pointing out was that Greene & Massignani do not make that connection between the III btg and the motorcycle companies.

David R

4thBersaglieri.org

Post by 4thBersaglieri.org » 15 Apr 2011, 23:12

Hi Jasper,

I know that in 1943 the 8th Bersaglieri were changed to the 1st Bersaglieri regiment. The Regiment had three Battalions of Bersaglieri:

1st Bersaglieri volunteer Regiment:

•1st Btn "Benito Mussolini"
•2nd Btn "Goffredo Mameli"
•3rd Btn "Enrico Toti"
•15th Coastal defense Btn
•101 Replacements Btn

The regiment was initially formed after the Sept 1943 Italian surrender from volunteers of the old REI 8th Bersaglieri regiment "Luciano Manara". The 1st and 2nd Btns were attached to German Armee groups and saw action on the Gothic line. The 3rd Btn was stationed in static positions in and around Verona. The 1st Bersaglieri Regiment was later folded into the 4th Bersaglieri Division in August 1944 and the Division was changed to the 1st Bersaglieri Division "Italia".

Hope this helps,

Chris Miraglia
4thBersaglieri.org

HerewardTheWake

Post by HerewardTheWake » 13 Nov 2014, 13:12

Interesting post. The father of one of my best friends [living in Perth, Australia] served in the 8th Bersaglieri Regiment in North Africa (My father served there as a tanker in the (Scottish) 26th Armoured Brigade during Operation Torch). I believe the 8th Bersaglieri were almost wiped out in North Africa and the remnants, including his father, were transferred to other units. His dad went to the 12th Bersaglieri Regiment.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”