Italian military in Slovenia

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
slovenc

Italian military in Slovenia

Post by slovenc » 16 Dec 2015, 00:24

Hello I am new here I wondering if you can help me. I am interested if it is possible to get some list of all vehicles and tanks Italian army used in world war 2 in Slovenia. I am especially interested in Javorniki (monte Pomario or monte Javorniki) over Cerknica lake. If someone of you know which vehicles Italian army had in Slovenia i will be really really appreciated. :D

slovenc

Re: Italian military in Slovenia

Post by slovenc » 17 Dec 2015, 00:14

anyone?

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 17 Dec 2015, 19:02

You are asking a very broad general question. Are you asking for a list of types of vehicles, or units/vehicles list? Time frame?

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

slovenc

Post by slovenc » 18 Dec 2015, 00:02

list of types of vehicles and units/vehicles list...Yout have those lists? time frame is 1940-1943

carlodinechi

Post by carlodinechi » 18 Dec 2015, 13:23

"Robotti informava quindi il Comandante della Divisione "Macerata" (generale Edoardo Quarra Sito) che il presidio di Petrina era stato faticosamente riconquistato dal 1/23° reggimento della divisione "Isonzo" in condizioni tali percui esso veniva rifornito attraverso un canale dalla divisione ... I compiti della "Macerata" sarebbero dovuti essere quelli di riconquistare il pieno controllo sul territorio, interdire l'afflusso di partigiani croati in territorio sloveno e "assicurarmi una embrionale copertura, la cui completa attuazione mi consenta successivamente di impedire che nuclei ribelli sfuggano verso sud e verso est, in direzione del vecchio confine allorquando avrò le forze necessarie per effettuare operazioni in grande stile contro le bande armate della Slovenia occidentale" (5). Alcuni giorni dopo l'arrivo in Slovenia della "Macerata", giunse la divisione "Cacciatori delle Alpi" (generale Vittorio Ruggiero) che venne dislocata nella zona di Grosuplje-Racna-Zdenska Vas, rilevando un ampio territorio dell'esausta "Granatieri di Sardegna" ... A tali masse mobili era stato affidato il compito di svolgere gran parte del ciclo operativo. b) Costituzione di una massa di manovra alle dipendenze dirette di Robotti, composta da: due battaglioni CC.NN. "M" (il XVI, con sede a Smarje, e l'LXXXV, con sede a Skoflica), già appartenenti alle Truppe di Corpo d'armata; un plotone autoblindo; una sezione semovente." (L'Occupazione italiana della Slovenia: 1941-1943, Marco Cuzzi, p. 207, Stato Maggiore dell'Esercito, Ufficio Storico, 1998)

"Nel 1942, su richiesta del Comando Superiore FF.AA. di Slovenia e Dalmazia, vennero realizzate 20 autocarrette ferroviarie blindate OM Mod. 42, derivate dalla autocarretta OM 36. Le autocarrette, armate di Breda Mod. 38, operavano sulle linee a scartamento ridotto in un Reparto autonomo su due plotoni, integrando le AB40 e 41." (Treni da Guerra: Dalle Origini ai Giorni Nostri, Anel Anivac, Soldiershop Publishing, 2015)

I'll see if I can find out more.

Grofmontecristo

Post by Grofmontecristo » 22 Dec 2015, 14:44

I you need help I have a lot of literature about the Italian occupation of Slovenia, especially about the morale, as I was researching about desertion to the partisans.

carlodinechi

Post by carlodinechi » 31 Dec 2015, 23:59

Grofmontecristo, can you please compile a brief summary of events in chronological order as a stepping-stone for those interested in finding more about the guerrilla war in Slovenia?

Grofmontecristo

Post by Grofmontecristo » 04 Jan 2016, 14:03

This is just in general regarding the Italian occupation, as I wrote about Italian desertions to the partisans I studied in detail only the Italian occupation. For the literature I suggest the bookus of Tone Ference, mostly in Slovenian, but also in Italian, maybe translated in English. Also one of the best books is by Jozo Tomasevich, Occupation and collaboration in Yugoslavia, in english.
There are also a few books written by italian soldiers while serving in Slovenia, one is written by Giovanni Cuccu (Cuccu Giovanni: Le stelle ci guidano, storia documentata di un partigiano sardo, Cuec editrice, Cagliari, 2000.), his war record and how he deserted to the partisans were he remained to the end in 1945., then Kocbek Edvard: “Compagnia” la resistenza partigiana in Slovenia, edizione Jaca book, Milano, 1974., and then is also this: http://www.criminidiguerra.it/BrignoliSMessa.shtml
It says here this is in Croatia, actually it was in SLovenia, I read the book, here you got some small parts.
a short introduction
6th April 1941 – invasion of Yugoslavia
17th April 9141 – Yugoslav army surrenders
20-22 April 9141 – partition of Yugoslavia, Slovenia divided between Italy and Germany
3rd May 1941 -The southern part is annexed by Italy and transformed into the Province od Ljubljana (Provincia di Ljubljana)
June 1941 – The liberation front (Osvobodilna front) is created to organize the resistance
Summer 1941 – first actions against the partisans,
September 1941 – Special Tribunal (Tribunale speciale) organized in Slovenia, first three partisans sentenced to death
October 1941 proclaimed the state of war for the province - the Italian 11th Core is stationed in Slovenia – general Mario Robotti
Jannuary 1941 Ljubljana is trasfored into a concentration camp, the Italian army put all around the city 41 km of barbed wire to isolate the city from the countryside – around 70 000 citizens were deported during the war, around 1500 killed
Spring 1942 – partisans control 23 of 31 municipalities of the province
16th of July – starts the biggest Italian antipartisan operation – around 3000 partisans casualties against 2000 Italian
1st November 1942 – formation of the MVAC (Milizie volontarie anticommuniste – Volontary anticommunist militias), irregular used to fight the partisans – at its peak the had around 6000 men
The Slovenian MVAC were also known as the White Guard (Bela Garda), the commander was Leon Rupnik
From this period is the statement „Si ammazza troppo poco“ (There are now enough killings) by the Italian general Robotti, shows how ineffective was the Italian strategy of counter guerilla
December 1942 – Roboti is replaced by Gastone Gambara

spring 1943 – increased activity by the partisans against the communications to relieve the pressure against the cntzral command in Bosnia during the 5th and 6th offensives

8th September 1943 – Italian armistice, Italian soldiers are captured by the Germans of disarmed by the partisan then captured and deported. Some small units and individual soldiers join the partisans

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 05 Jan 2016, 09:59

Slovenc, try to get a book: "Oklopne jedinice na jugoslovenskom ratištu 1941-1945". It's a good overview of armored units in YU.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”