Executions at Dongo 28 Apr 1945

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 18 Sep 2002, 06:44

Dear JLEES ,
A long time ago I went to Giulino di Mezzegra to see the place where the Duce and Claretta were allegedly shot , at a garden door gate there was a cross and some flowers , I also brought some , but really the place does not evocate feelings .
To arrive to Giulino di Mezzegra you have to take an uphill road , quite steepy , but is indicate on all maps and not difficult to find .

More recently I went to the Como Lake and passed by Dongo , the promenade along the lake is quite nice but I do not recall that there is any mark of the spot were the executions took place .
Como lake is a very beautiful spot and is worth a visit in itself but for recalling any memories of the events in 45 is by now difficult to get feelings about what happened then but of course if you are in the area may be just for once is a good idea to visit Dongo and may be Giulino.
I also would recommend to go to Como and see the old Casa del Fascio , HQ of the local Fascist Party , that is indicated in many book as one of the best examples of fascist architecture , I do not recall the address but if you ask around should not be difficult to find . Also in Como you should see the Duomo which is quite beautiful and take the promenade around the lake .
The all area is one of the finest in Italy and worth a visit .

JLEES

Great Information

Post by JLEES » 18 Sep 2002, 13:07

GLADIVM,
Great information. I'll place a copy in my Italy folder. I've always wanted to check these sites out.
James

FB

Post by FB » 19 Sep 2002, 12:18

Hi all,

the execution in Dongo took place near the little harbor of this small town. The condemned were standing, their back facing the lake, on the sidewalk of the roead that runs alongside the lake.

This is a small picture of the condemned line-up, moments before the shooting:

Since every year troubles happened in Dongo on the anniversary of the execution, in order to prevent the "nostalgics" to bring flowers to the place and to prevent the usual riots, it was decided to build a public toilet (vespasiano in italian) on the place. This, comprehensibly enough, put an end to the nostalgics trips to Dongo and to the consequent fightings, even if this fact might be considered as an insult. Nowdays the public toilet does not exist antmore and a small fountain was built at its place.

This is an aerial image of nowdays Dongo:

On the bottom left of the picture, the blue spot is the above mentioned fountain. Behind it, the small harbor.

The "Casa del Fascio" is by far one of the best examples of the "Ventennio" architecture and its designer, Architect Giuseppe Terragni, was one of the most famous names of the "rationalism", the name of this cultural stream.

Today the Casa del Fascio is the local HQ of the Guardia di Finanza and it is visited by thousend of turists every year.

If you are interestd in Terragni's architecture, go here : its the web site of Terragni's Study Center. From this site, the following picture of Casa del Fascio:

The building is easy to find: it's right on the back of the Duomo, across the railway.

Best regards.

GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 24 Sep 2002, 06:44

Talking about Mussolini death , I would like to recall a television programm I saw a couple of years ago , it was aired by a local tv station
TELELOMBARDIA and had a different and new explanation of Mussolini demise .
In the programm was introduced an hystory scholar , named Gariboldi or Garibaldi , and he was treated as some kind of wellknow historian but personally I never heard of him before .
Mussolini death has never been explained in a comprehensive way by the comunist who executed him and always left something of a mistery about his final moments , At the beginning it was claimed that Walter Audisio , Colonello Valerio , was the executioner , later afetr his death it was said thet in fact it was another partisan ( a comunist called Lamperti) , later there were rumors that the real shooter was Luigi Longo (who later would become secretary of the PCI Italian Comunist Party) .
Also has to be noted that some of the partisans involved in Mussolini fate were soon after the war murdered by their companions under various accusations of treason and spying for Fascists .
Mr Gariboldi or Garibaldi instead hypotizied that Mussolini had been killed not at the gate of Giulino di Mezzegra as always stated but was killed the night before when staying in a peasants house togheter with Claretta .
In fact he said that the partsans holding them prisoners were drunk and in high spirit and wanted to rape Claretta , Mussolini tried to prevent them and in a scuffle was shot dead . In order to strenghthen his case he showed some pictures where was evident that the Duce undershirt was bloodied when instead his coat was not , which should demonstrate that he was shot in a state of undress and not in full uniform against a garden pillar .
I do not know if this theory has any validity but it must be said that the comunist always seemed to hide somethingg about Mussolini death and this might be the reason or not . By now it is impossible with all the partecipants dead to establish what really happened .

Luca

Post by Luca » 24 Nov 2002, 14:14

I want show some pics of the execution.

The first pic show the column that from the Municipio go to the lake.
Sorry if is no very clear... i think Pavolini open the column cause he was wonded at a hand.

All was in front of the lake, Barracu insist for take the bullet in front...he say.. " Io sono una Medaglia d' Oro ! Ho diritto di essere fucilato al petto " ... "Im a Gold Medail , i ve the right for recive the bullets in front side " (sorry for my terrible traslation..maybe some italian Member can help...)
But the request was denied.

I ve another photo (that i no found now) take from a high window that show the exact situation with all the condamned in front of lake and Barracu (the first right..if i remember well ..and no the second as appare in the picture) in front at the guns.

Much of the men howl "Viva l'Italia" or "Viva il Duce" an istant before the shoots.
Attachments
dongo2.jpg
dongo2.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
dongo3.jpg
dongo3.jpg (46.91 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
dongo1.jpg
dongo1.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

Luca

Re: Dongo Execution Site

Post by Luca » 24 Nov 2002, 14:24

JLEES wrote: It shouldn't be too far from where Il Duce was also executed before taking there bodies to Milan.
Attachments
giulino di mezzegra.jpg
giulino di mezzegra.jpg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 3140 times

Luca

Re: The 15

Post by Luca » 24 Nov 2002, 14:37

Custermen wrote: Can anyone identify the bodies of those hanging next to Mussolini in Milan??
The hanging in Piazzale Loreto with Mussolini was Claretta Petacci , Pavolini, Barracu, Bombacci, and is no clear if Ruggero Romano or Paolo Zerbino.

Luca

Re: The 15

Post by Luca » 24 Nov 2002, 14:45

Custermen wrote: 11 Alfredo Coppolo - Rector of the Bologna University

16 Utimberger - an obscure journalist, selected at random from the prisoners.
11 The correct name is Goffredo Coppola

16 Itreno Ultimberger was the chief of the Black Brigade of Fiume.

Luca

Re: Executions at Dongo 28 Apr 1945

Post by Luca » 24 Nov 2002, 15:15

David Thompson wrote:Can anyone add any information to this list?

Starace, Achille (1889-1945)
..... executed 29 Apr 1945 at Dongo near Milan. (NYT 30 Apr 1945:7:2; LT 30 Apr 1945:4:g); or at Piazzale Loreto, Milano (ABR-Italy)
Achille Starace maybe no was one of the best genius of the Fascists Chiefs but sure he dead as a Man with Honor.

Captured for a casual situation from some partisans he was conduct in Piazzale Loreto and when he look the injured body of Mussolini he say ..
" THIS IS MY DUCE !!! "

He was immediatly executed.
Attachments
starace3.jpg
starace3.jpg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
starace2.jpg
starace2.jpg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
starace1.jpg
starace1.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 3120 times

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 24 Nov 2002, 16:02

Thank you very much, Luca, for the corrections, the photographs (none of which I had ever seen) and the detail!

Luca

Post by Luca » 26 Nov 2002, 14:28

Gasti, Guidi (?-1945) -- Prefect, Italian Social Republic {captured and executed by Italian partisans at Dongo c. 28 Apr 1945 (LT 30 Apr 1945:4:g). (same person as Luigi Gatti?).}
Yes this is Luigi Gatti
Gazanno, Ernest (?-1945) – Italian editor, Stefani News Agency {captured and executed by Italian partisans at Dongo c. 28 Apr 1945 (LT 30 Apr 1945:4:g).}
Gazanno Ernesto was the Vice Chef of Asvero Gravelli.
You can look Gravelli in the lasts photos take to Mussolini in Milano before the trip for Valtellina with the zouave trousers.(that i can show if You want)
Im no sure, but is probable, that Gravelli was in the Mussolini column, so is also possible that Gazanno was also in the column, but certenly he no was executed in Dongo. He fate is for me unknow.
Luigi, Mario (?-1945) -- member, Italian Fascist Agricultural Association {executed by Italian partisans at Dongo c. 28 Apr 1945 (LT 30 Apr 1945:4:g).}
Sure is Nudi Mario i think.
Nitri, Filimberto (?-1945) -- Italian fascist propagandist {captured and executed by Italian partisans commanded by "Colonel Valerio" (Walter Audisio) at Dongo c. 28 Apr 1945 (LT 30 Apr 1945:4:g).}
Nitri was the Vice Commander of the Black Brigade of Como.Fate unknow for me but sure no executed in Dongo.
Teruzzi, Attilio (?-1945) -- Italian Governor of Cyrenaica 23 Nov 1926-18 Dec 1928; Italian Undersecretary of the Colonial Ministry 20 Nov 1937-31 Oct 1939; Italian Minister of Colonies 3 Oct 1939-25 Jul 1943{executed by Italian partisans c. 28 Apr 1945 (LT 30 Apr 1945:4:g).(Fascist Italy pp. 586, 602).}
Sure survive at the war and in 1951 all he propiety was confiscated.
Probable the mistake born from the fact that TWO bodies of Teruzzi was with the others bodyes in Piazzale Loreto.They was summary killed cause have the same alpine beard as Teruzzi and appare similars.
Sure 2 men was killed in Bologna for the same motivation, and i don't know the date but is much improbable cause the time and the distance of the facts that they was the same ...so minimum 2 but much more probable 4 Teruzzi was killed.
This was common....i can say the detailed facts (if someone have interst) concern the 4 Cabras killed in Torino in the same day from the SAME partisans....and no 1 was the right Cabras.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 26 Nov 2002, 17:12

Luca -- Thanks for the corrections and details! I've very interested in the 4 Cabras killed in Torino in the same day. Please let me know about them if you have time.

GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 28 Nov 2002, 07:58

to JLEES ,

If you pass by Milano , you can go to Piazza San Sepolcro (is near Via Torino and the city centre ) and see the building whis housed the Fascsist Federation and were Fascism was born it is still there and few years back it housed an insuirance company but surely you can recognise it because there is a big balcony on top of the entrance gate .
Also you can see Milano central station which is one of the best example of Fascist imperial style and which is very impressive still today , the station was opened only in 43 shortly before fascism fall .
One more place you can see is the PREFETTURA in Corso Monforte and from where Mussolini left Milano to meet his fate on the Como Lake . As the Prefecture is still the official seat of Prefetto in Milano , you cannot go inside unless for official business , there are police guards outside but you can peek inside to see the yard which is still the same as it was in 45 .
If other buildings come to my mind will let you know .

JLEES

Rome over Milano

Post by JLEES » 29 Nov 2002, 00:59

GLADIVM,
I just got back from Europe yesterday. We visited Braunau, Passau, Munchen and Heidelberg. After traveling by the city several times, I finally looked up Hitler’s birthplace and checkout Heidelberg too, but the last place was very touristy. Unfortunately, it looks like Milano is out of the question for the time being, but I've talked my wife into visiting Rome next year and I'd love to pick your brains for sites in the Italian capital. I'm planning on seeing the Mussolini Forum and his office. We’re thinking of staying in the city for about eight days maybe sometime in October or November. I understand they are now doing something with his office for tourists. Would you recommend any other sites? Maybe a fascist Headquarters or the Gestapo HQ in Rome, do you know their locations? A few months back there was a discussion about Campo Mussolini on the forum. I can’t remember if you were part of the discussion, but do you know its location? I know it no longer exists, but I’d like to know where it was located. I’ve heard it was located somewhere near Roma. I bet there maybe a building still left from the original site.
James

FB

Post by FB » 23 Sep 2003, 13:43

Executions at Dongo 28 Apr 1945

I finally found on a book of a complete deifferent subject (it's about a Fort in Colico, on the lake of Como) the list of all the 52 killed by the partizans in Dongo. It also has the Duce and Claretta Petacci who, as you know, were killed in another place.

Such list was written by Dr. Martino Granzella, Notary Public in Pianello del Lario, a village near Dongo, in the day April the 27th, 1945.

In CAPITAL LETTERS, I'll try a translation of the Italian text

Benito Mussolini, duce del fascismo Italiano (DUCE OF ITALIAN FASCISM);
Claretta Petacci, l'amante di Mussolini (MUSSOLINI' LOVER);
Porta Paolo, segretario federale di Como (FEDERAL SECRETARY OF COMO);
Bombacci Nicola, Pubblicista (PUBBLICIST or JOURNALIST);
Barracù Francesco, Colonnello Medaglia d'oro (COLONNEL GOLD MEDAL);
Pavolini Alessandro, Segretario Generale partito fascista (GENERAL SECRETARY FASCIST PARTY);
Utimberger Idremo, Pubblicista (PUBBLICIST or JOURNALIST);
Casalinovo Vito, Colonnello d'Aviazione (AIR FORCE COLONNEL);
Calistri Pietro, Capitano d'Aviazione (AIR FORCE CAPTAIN);
Nudi Mario, impiegato fascista (ufficio polizia) (FASCIST EMPLOYEE (POLICE OFFICE));
Mezzasoma Fernando, Ministro Cultura popolare (MINISTER of PEOPLE CULTURE);
Coppola Goffredo, Rett. Univ. Bologna Pres. Cultura fascista (PRINCIPAL BOLOGNA UNIVERSITY PRES. FASCIST CULTURE);
Daquanno Ernesto, Direttore Agenzia Stefani (DIRECTOR STEFANI AGENCY);
Gatti Luigi, Prefetto a Disposizione (PREFECT AT DISPOSAL);
Romano Ruggero, Ministro dei Lavori Pubblici (MINISTER OF PUBLIC WORKS);
Liverani Augusto, Ministro delle Comunicazioni (MINISTER OF COMMUNICATIONS);
Zerbino Paolo, Ministro dell'Interno (MINISTER OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS);
Petacci Marcello, fratello dell'amante di Mussolini (BROTHER OF MUSSOLINI' LOVER);
Carradori Pietro, agente di pubblica sicurezza (POLICE OFFICER);
Bazzotti Emilio, funzionario comunale terre invase (TOWN EMPLOYEE INVADED LANDS);
Marcucci Cesare, autista del Ministero (CAR DRIVER OF THE MINISTRY);
Frighi Alfredo, meccanico (MECHANIC);
Brocchi Antonio, pugilista (BOXEUR (?));
Pallottelli Virgilio, Tenente Pilota (AIR FORCE (PILOT) LEUTENANT);
Montermini Otello, milite G.R.F. reparto Salò (G.R.F. MILITIAMAN SALO' UNIT);
De Stavola Gabriele, marinaio decima M.A.S. (DECIMA M.A.S. SEAMAN);
Rebecchi Armando milite G.R.F. di Salò (G.R.F. MILITIAMAN OF SALO');
Ghezzi Luigi, I° Aviere avvistamento in Camerlata (SIGHTING Ist AIRMAN OF CAMERLATA (a neighborhood of Como - my note));
Laghetto Domenico, Guardia rep. Fascista di Milano (REP. FASCIST GUARD OF MILANO);
Cetti Francesco, autista delle brigate nere di Como (CAR DRIVER OF BLACK BRIGADES OF COMO);
Piazza Francesco G.R.N. di Salò (G.R.N. OF SALO');
Buzzella Alessio sergente aeronautica in Camerlata (AIR FORCE SARGENT IN CAMERLATA);
Beltrami Teresio, ferroviere ministero Comunicazione (RAILWAYMAN MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS);
Giorgetti Orlando, Degli Innocenti Nello, Degli Innocenti Mario, Chiavacci Merano, Menichini Alberto, Del Grande Ginese, Coltelli Alfio, Sebastiani Giuliano, Tremi Evandro, Giorgi Giovanni tutti della 36° brigata nera Lucca (ALL OF THE 36TH BLACK BRIGADE LUCCA);
De Benedicti Vincenzo, impiegato comp. Bir gab. di Milano (EMPLOYEE OF THE BIR GAB. COMPANY (? - my note) OF MILANO);
Bezzi Bruno, 8° brigata nera (8th BLACK BRIGADE);
Roveda Anna d'anni 16 da Brandello (Cuneo) (OF 16 YEARS OF AGE FROM BRANDELLO (CUNEO));
Curti Elena d'anni 23 da Milano via Ravizza 28, (OF 23 YEARS OF AGE FROM MILANO, RAVIZZA STREET 28 ) ;
Boera Anna;
Salvadero Mario;
Ravieri Benito."

With the exception of Mussolini and Claretta, all the other names are listed with the Family Name followed by the name. All of these, again, with the exception of the first two, were shot in Dongo, alongside the lake.

I hope you find it interesting.

Best regards
Last edited by FB on 24 Sep 2003, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”