389. Infanterie-Division in Turkalne?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Lend-Lease guy

389. Infanterie-Division in Turkalne?

Post by Lend-Lease guy » 24 Oct 2016, 16:28

My grandpa told me that there were German units stationed around the village my summer house was in and when i did some info digging i found out that there were possibly elements of the 389. Infanterie-Division stationed around Ogre during the Soviet invasion of the city that is about 10km from Turkalne.

Art from the Soviet Union forum gave me a couple of Soviet situation reports that describe the 5th tank corps path through Turkalne and how they got shelled and shot at by artillery ,but i haven't found any info on the German units stationed there defending Turkalne.

While metal detecting around my summer house I did manage to find a piece of a German Tellermine 42 and a couple of pieces of a Lend-Lease M3 Lee tank. My grandpa also told me that he found German canned fish in our shed after the war :D. He also told me that a bit further from my summer house in the "Turbas" resort he found a PPSh-41 in the shed when he was working in the potato fields.

In the photo of the town of Ogre circled in red you can see the road that leads to the village of Turkalne. You can also see elements of the 389. Infanterie-Division (Infanterie-Regiment 544).
Attachments
image.png
image.png (533.5 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”