"Goosestep" parade march.

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
varjag

Post by varjag » 13 Dec 2006, 12:54

As for 'lifting leg' the Iron Maidens of Beloved Leader Kim - leave the Prussians for dead....
- or could it be that male appendices are an impediment in the art of Goosestepping 8O
Varjag with a :)
Attachments
Flintenweiber.jpg
Flintenweiber.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

Sewer King

Re: Goosestep marching style

Post by Sewer King » 16 Dec 2006, 18:57

Animal wrote: believe the Iranian Army does the goose-step too- I saw it in a photo somewhere.
I have also seen the photo of goose-stepping in the modern Islamic Republic of Iran Army. It was in a National Geographic magazine issue of some few years ago. The troops were parading in sand-colored uniforms. combat boots bloused, carrying G3 rifles at port arms. The photographer took it from very close-up, and from below, making the goose-step look almost contorted and monstrous.

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 04 Jan 2007, 04:36

I also seem to remember that sometime back in the late 1970s, when Menachim Begin was officially received in Egypt, his hosts staged a march-past of troops who goose-stepped and wore German-style helmets. Not how to honor an Israeli PM, but if it happened this way it would have been unintentional.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 18 Jul 2007, 13:35

Luftwaffe troops march to a bugler's tune:
(online auction)

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 21 Jan 2008, 16:20

SS parade:
(online auction)

JodelFlieger

Post by JodelFlieger » 26 Jan 2008, 15:42

Hi there
Notice also that it's fascist non-democratic nations with strong track records of human rights abuse(especially of their own population) that favour the goose-step(precisely for its "intimidatory" appeal).If you think that smart parade-ground work is solely the province of goose-steppers, then you have never seen the excellence of the British Guards Regiments, who bow to no man in the quality of their parade work...apart from all that, I'd rather train recruits in fighting skills than waste hours on stomping around parade grounds.I'm sure when the average German late-war recruit wished he had had more weapon and tactical training than prematurely aging his feet...if you think the Evzones are silly,compare any goose-step.The Evzones step is about precision and rendering honours(especially to those Greeks who fought the Nazis).If you still don't understand that what people hate about goose-stepping is what it symbolises; oppression and fascism, race hatred, religious hatred, persecution of minorities and supprssion of freedom....as for the notion of the Egyptians "insulting" Menachim Begin by strutting about in german helmets and goose-stepping, well, I'm quite sure that MB would have smiled wryly to himself as he remembered all the Egyptians sent to early graves, in six wars, by their Israeli enemies.Indeed, he could have walked from Cairo to Tel Aviv without touching the ground, if he had lined up all the wrecked Egyptian tanks and vehicles and shattered MiGs, without a goosestep in sight.
regards
JF

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 26 Jan 2008, 21:13

as for the notion of the Egyptians "insulting" Menachim Begin by strutting about in german helmets and goose-stepping
I don't think anyone said it was an insult. It was as much egypt's choice of parade march and headgear as it was Argentina's and other nations'.
It does not necessarily mean those countries intended the use of surplus helmets and a jaunty march to insult anyone.
(They probably want to seem more daunting than they really are, and in that sense wish or wished
to use the helmets and march to intimidate and to conjure up images of a military that had a
reputation for ferocity toward its enemies, and thereby link their own - perhaps lacking image to it.)

As for Begin, of course he knew that Israel had bested the egyptians time and again. He also surely knew that all those destroyed egyptian (Soviet) tanks,
vehicles and MiGs and wasted egyptian lives might have been spared had egypt not chosen to saber-rattle and attack Israel so many times.
Apparently the goosestep puts on a good show of military precision and a facade of prowess - but in egypt's case, these attributes did not
always carry over onto the battlefield.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 27 Jan 2008, 19:28

Three more - LW & Heer:

(All three photos from online auctions.)

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 27 Jan 2008, 19:50

Legend has it that the "goose-step" was invented by dismounted troops who had to march behind the cavalry. The march step was designed to fling manure off the soles of their boots without march interruption.

'Tis better to ride than walk: "Join the cavalry!"

Penn44

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 28 Jan 2008, 07:02

And thus, manure was flung onto the backsides of every rank in formation, so that senior soldiers always took up the rearmost. This differs from the earliest accounts of the origins of British khaki in India, which instead supposed the use of mud, tea, and mulberry to dull their tropical white uniforms. :lol:

====================

I still haven't found that National Geographic photo I remember of Iranian troops in goosestep, but found this recent one instead. Did the Shah's armed forces also practice the goosestep?

-- Alan

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 28 Jan 2008, 11:22

Sewer King wrote:And thus, manure was flung onto the backsides of every rank in formation, so that senior soldiers always took up the rearmost. This differs from the earliest accounts of the origins of British khaki in India, which instead supposed the use of mud, tea, and mulberry to dull their tropical white uniforms. :lol:
That is the beauty of the ying and yang of the word. Although the troops in back get to sling manure on the troops in front, the front troops don't eat the dust that the troops in the back have to eat on dusty road marches. Things break even out in the end.
Sewer King wrote:I still haven't found that National Geographic photo I remember of Iranian troops in goosestep, but found this recent one instead. Did the Shah's armed forces also practice the goosestep?
-- Alan
Search under "Revolutionary Guards." The motion and still photos I have seen of these troops show some goose-stepping.

Hezbollah has been known to goose-step as well as "jog" march as well.

Penn44

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 28 Jan 2008, 12:53

JodelFlieger wrote:[...]I'm sure when the average German late-war recruit wished he had had more weapon and tactical training than prematurely aging his feet...[...]
The Wehrmacht stopped teaching goose-stepping to conscripts with the outbreak of the war in 1938 (source:Karl-Volker Neugebauer "Grundzüge der deutschen Militärgeschichte" 2nd volume).

varjag

Post by varjag » 30 Jan 2008, 13:36

Don't know if the Finnish Army still practices the Goose-step...but I had a Finn friend, many years ago who was an ex sergeant in their army...eating iron - shitting chain - to copy Linna...after some 7-9 vodkas, he used to 'demonstrate' the tecnique (and I quickly moved the lounge furniture :) )

After one or two 'demo's' - he needed another vodka - which proves that it is a very tiring excercise :lol:

I never let let him - as far as I recall, the dining table came in dangerous proximity of his swinging legs :lol: , Varjag

JamesL

Re: "Goosestep" parade march.

Post by JamesL » 02 Apr 2008, 21:42

I happened to see President Bush reviewing a Ukrainian honor guard in Kiev. The officer in charge of the guard goose-stepped with a drawn sword.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”