"Goosestep" parade march.

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
fln

Re: "Goosestep" parade march.

Post by fln » 27 May 2008, 21:09

Hello,

here is a very impressive video of the paradeschritt, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMyiqjMhVzw

Von Schadewald

Post by Von Schadewald » 07 Jul 2008, 19:47

Even the Nazis would be impressed with the N.Korean goosestep as in this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSN7vZZZ ... re=related

Can a man of average anatomy man be taught to goosestep?! Or does it need a special mindset, joints and coordination? The heels and cartilages must take a real pounding. How long does it take to learn? British & US soldiers could never be taught to goosestep! It would be physiologically utterly beyond even the most ardent Blackshirt or Silvershirt!

The average woman I assume cannot be taught to goosestep!

jbaum

Post by jbaum » 08 Jul 2008, 05:27

The German Denckler manual says that for the drill march (goose step):

"The left leg is slightly bent and guided forward with a straight, somewhat outward pointed foot. The lower leg goes quickly forward, without further raising the knee. The extended stride is spaced a distance of about 80 cm.... the tempo of the march is about 114 steps per minute. It is incorrect to life the advancing leg higher than necessary to attain the length of step, or to set it down with exaggerated force."

While certainly tiring, it was only to be used for very short distances anyway. I laugh how the old movies always have a real slap with the feet are put down, and it's seemingly always out of time with the rate of the march in the movie. It's like they added the sound later, but only had a soundtrack that was too fast for the film, but they used it anyway. Of course, these scenes are in American movies. I'm sure the Germans were capable of recording the sound accurately at the time of filming, rather than adding it later.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 08 Jul 2008, 12:03

Jezuz Christ!!!!...and, they're armed with sharp cutting instruments too 8O Stay away from those amazons lads!

Von Schadewald

Post by Von Schadewald » 11 Sep 2008, 20:35

Those Korean lasses sure know a thing or two about ventilated gussets!

Romani

Post by Romani » 28 Sep 2008, 13:12

Gentlemen, a very interesting thread. I have read somewhere that the goosestep origin comes actually from the Spanish Tercios of the 16th and 17th centuries, wich may have taken it from the Landsknecht , thus it would have come full circle.

I didn't gave any credibility to that comment without sources, but hearing that it was readopted into the German army from Sicily, wich as part of the Kingdom of Naples was under Spanish rule for centuries and it was like the "training school" for the Tercios wich later were sent to Flanders, it makes a lot of sense. Specially telling is the comment about Cromwell's army goosestepping, since the English Civil War armies imported all the military developments from Europe.

Goosestep must be placed in the broader context of cadence step. Apparently cadence step is an invention of the Romans resurrected with the pike phalanxes of the Renaissance, and forgotten again when pikes were replaced with muskets with bayonets and the old pike drill handbooks were tossed away. Since Naples was a military backwater, is possible that the goosestep remained there as a relic from the former past, to be rediscovered by the Prussians and then copied by the rest of Europe.

From what I have learned, the goosestepping shoulder to shoulder and precise automaton marching drill is a Prussian thing and was not used during the War of Spanish Succession 1700-20.

sn0wcon3

Post by sn0wcon3 » 28 Mar 2009, 15:17

Posted by jbaum on 08 Jul 2008, 05:27

"While certainly tiring, it was only to be used for very short distances anyway. I laugh how the old movies always have a real slap with the feet are put down, and it's seemingly always out of time with the rate of the march in the movie. It's like they added the sound later, but only had a soundtrack that was too fast for the film, but they used it anyway. Of course, these scenes are in American movies. I'm sure the Germans were capable of recording the sound accurately at the time of filming, rather than adding it later."

Guess you're not aware of another trick the Germans used to magnify the "terror" aspect of the Heer. German soldiers were issued boots that had a thin bit of iron in the soles - so whenever they performed drill marches, it sounded like the whole platoon was firing. This also negates any need for them to modify their films like the Anglo-Saxons would have had to.

Krauser

Post by Krauser » 18 May 2009, 03:05

About the goosestep, i shown you here a picture of my country. The Regimiento Escuela de Carabineros " fahnenträger " ( carabineros is the uniformed and military police of Chile )
Attachments
Escuela.jpg
Escuela.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 7406 times

montyp165

Post by montyp165 » 01 Aug 2009, 03:30

One time when I was watching a segment about the Bundeswehr during the 1990's after German reunification, at the end of the segment showed a nighttime march by Bundeswehr troops in Luftwaffe-style dress uniforms plus helmet and carrying torchlights moving in synchronised movement much like the Stechschritt, and I thought to myself 'dang, German troops can still pull off an excellent march.' 8-)

der alte Landser

Post by der alte Landser » 11 Aug 2009, 18:26

Very interesting thread on the topic of the German parade marching step. The correct term for this form of drill is "Exerzierschritt." The Germans used a marching tempo of 114 steps per minute and their standard form of marching drill was called "Gleichschritt." This was not dissimilar from the way the US Army marches, although the cadence was 6 steps slower per minute.

Exerzierschritt was used for only short distances, not for extended periods of marching. During parades, the commander gave the order, 'ABTEILUNG, MARSCH" as his unit neared the reviewing stand. After passing the reviewing stand, the commander then gave the order, "IM GLEICHSCHRITT, MARSCH," and the unit then resumed the standard marching style. The Exerzierschritt was also used for Wachdienst (guard duty) and by marching formations to render honors to superiors.

This You Tube video from the 80s shows the Exerzierschritt as it was used in the NVA at the großer Wachaufzug in Berlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSmN9EA9cuo

Here is another short clip from You Tube that shows a Wachtrupp from the LSSAH in 1936 at the Reich Aviation Ministry performing the Wachauflösung. You can clearly see how they begin with Gleichschritt and then transition to Exerzierschritt, then back into Gleichschritt once the old Wachposten have been relieved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQo6rNFOR7k

On pg 183 of "Reibert's Dienstunterricht im Heere" the author has this to say about the Exerzierschritt: (This is my translation of the original German) The parade marching step raises discipline and promotes teamwork within the unit. It is utilized for short distances, in guard duty, while rendering honors by marching units and in parades."

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 16 Sep 2011, 18:04

March past Himmler, Hans Frank, et. al in Krakow:

(From: http://www.audiovis.nac.gov.pl/ )

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 11 Sep 2012, 20:51

:lol:

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 29 Sep 2016, 21:09

here is a comp of wehrmacht goose stepping. accompanied by horrible music and shameful, idiotic comments.....fvcking stupid neo-nazis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag6UzxNBb3Q

i guess that the whole footage was taken between 39-41. but i have one question: are these fallschmirjäger goose stepping during 0.57-1.15 ? does anyone know where and when this footage was taken?

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”