Quote from Hermann Göring in 1945.

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Max Williams

Re: Quote from Hermann Göring in 1945.

Post by Max Williams » 24 Mar 2012, 13:22

As regards calling Göring "Meier," this was a common term used in Germany to describe someone of no importance, an everyday Joe who doesn't stand out in the crowd. I think that suggesting it had anti-Semitic connotations is stretching it a little, regardless of Göring's attitude towards Jews. In the UK, there is the similar use of the name "Fred Bloggs" as a generalisation. I was also under the impression that Göring said this much earlier (1940) in relation to the possible bombing of Berlin, but I could be mistaken.
Max.

fstain

Re: Quote from Hermann Göring in 1945.

Post by fstain » 24 Feb 2016, 13:44

Göring quote : Just a small testimony: my father was held as war prisonner in a german military camp (Baumholder, close to Kaiserslautern) during some years during WWII. Among his memories of the camp came often the Göring quote (you can call me Meyer, etc.). He has always told me that the germans and the prisonners made jokes on Göring using the quote, and more and more when allied aircratfs were flying over Germany and over the camp. He had always told me that the "Meyer" in the quote was understood as a jewish name by the germans. I remember that very well. The germans were laughing at Göring turning into a Meyer jew. As some of those germans were absolutely not antisemites, it was also used by them to ridiculise the antisemitic nazi ideology (kind of : look at yourselves now, you are jews too).

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”