Eastern front strategy

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
skysky127

Eastern front strategy

Post by skysky127 » 16 Feb 2014, 04:53

Is there a book detailing arguments regarding forehand and backhand strategies on the eastern front within the German high command?
I have seen many references to the arguments between the generals and Hitler regarding strategy. I have seen references to the back hand and the forehand strategy issue. Von Manstein was a "backhand" strategist I.E. maneuver warfare while Hitler became a forehand ( stand and fight) Examples- had the Germans retreated from Moscow in 1941 they would have been in an excellent position in the spring of 42 to retake Moscow. 1942- had they destroyed Stalingrad and retreated-- and 1943- had they not attacked Kursk but let the Russians advance form Kursk to attack them.
We know Hitler eventually fired all the maneuver generals, but was Hitler the only "forehand" man? or did other generals at the high command encourage this type of warfare?

ljadw

Re: Eastern front strategy

Post by ljadw » 16 Feb 2014, 06:41

The Germans retreated from Moscow in 1941 :wink:

BDV

Re: Manstein

Post by BDV » 16 Feb 2014, 16:56

I came to treat everything based on Manstein claims with extreme suspicion. A shameless lying bootlicker, incompetent general in everything but the most simple infantry matters (and far from spotless even there).
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

Marcus

Re: Eastern front strategy

Post by Marcus » 16 Feb 2014, 16:59

:welcome:

We have several active threads on Eastern front strategy, please one of those threads for this discussion.

/Marcus

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”