Medical care at front and in hospital

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Stephanie625

Medical care at front and in hospital

Post by Stephanie625 » 18 Feb 2014, 09:19

I'm not sure that "General Military" is the place but I can't find anywhere else.

I'm seeking info on medical care for wounded soldiers, both at the front and at home. Specifically, how were gunshot wounds treated? Today if you're hit in the femur, you'll likely have screws going into the bone. How close to modern was German military medicine? Is there a forum on this board covering this subject?

As always, many thanks!
Stephanie

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Re: Medical care at front and in hospital

Post by Dieter Zinke » 18 Feb 2014, 12:47

As a start

Behrendt, Karl Philipp: Die Kriegschirurgie von 1939 - 1945 aus der Sicht der Beratenden Chirurgen des deutschen Heeres im Zweiten Weltkrieg. Diss. Med. der Albrecht-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg im Breisgau, 2003
http://www.freidok.uni-freiburg.de/voll ... 9-1945.pdf
with a huge list of references for further investigations.

Lehne, Inge: “Lorenz Böhler. Die Geschichte eines Erfolges“.Verlag Wilhelm Maudrich, Wien - München - Bern 1991
Oberfeldarzt der Reserve Prof. Dr. med. Lorenz Böhler (RK KVK mS presented 30.01.1945)

Dieter Z.

Stephanie625

Post by Stephanie625 » 18 Feb 2014, 16:38

Thank you Dieter! I didn't expect such a complex document, many of my questions were answered. My consideration especially was machine gun wounds to the leg, with bone fracture. Quite an ordeal for the soldier, involving multiple settings and dressings, and apparently the necessity of resetting the bone once the patient arrives back in the specialty hospital. I found out that indeed, wires AND nails were used, and drainage was extremely important.

Truly humanizes the war for the individual wounded soldier.

Extremely helpful, and again, many thanks!

AriX

Post by AriX » 31 Jul 2021, 20:46

How did Wehrmacht and W-SS had counted its Wounded in Action ?
There were aprox 5.2M WIA untill 1945. In russian sources its mentioned that its only those, who were hospitilized to the rear hospitals and a lot of wounded soldiers Germans just didn't count. Clarification is needed.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”