Why were the Germans superior militarily

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
fuser

Re: Why were the Germans superior militarily

Post by fuser » 10 Oct 2014, 15:00

Hauptmannnenkel, please pay more attention to the posts you are replying, every victory is because of various reasons and not just because victor belong to a particular nation, I never claimed Brits won because they were Brits but challenged your comment that Britain had never defeated any first rate power in 18th and 19th century but its quite telling that you ignored the real comments in order to invent straw mans.

Karelia

Post by Karelia » 10 Oct 2014, 17:55

fuser wrote:Germany didn't won in Russia, the revolution was as much as a surprise to Germans as allies and it was the revolution which put Russia (and resulting civil war) out of war and not Germany.

Besides Britain did won against great powers in 18th and 19th century, seven years war, napolenic wars, crimean war etc etc but I fail to see how is this relevant to what Sid said.
FYI: Lenin was sent to Russia by Germany. The bolsheviks were funded by Germany. Hardly a surprise for Germany then.

The February (March) revolution was a result of continuous losses on the front - against Germany - and all the miseries the prolonged war caused.

AFAIK Germany DID win Russia, since Germany got what she wanted: Russia was forced to ask for peace and yield enormous land areas (e.g. the rest of Poland, the Baltics and Ukraine) to Germany.

fuser

Post by fuser » 10 Oct 2014, 18:19

FYI: Lenin was sent to Russia by Germany. The bolsheviks were funded by Germany. Hardly a surprise for Germany then.
Yes, anything to disrupt the enemy but it didn't meant that Kaiser was supporting communism or was a closet communist, they (Germany) didn't anticipated that Reds will actually take power.
The February (March) revolution was a result of continuous losses on the front - against Germany - and all the miseries the prolonged war caused.
There was much to revolution than ww1 and the situation at front was not that bad, worse happened in ww2 but this time there was no revolution, obviously there was much to it than just ww1.
AFAIK Germany DID win Russia, since Germany got what she wanted: Russia was forced to ask for peace and yield enormous land areas (e.g. the rest of Poland, the Baltics and Ukraine) to Germany.
As I said Germany didn't defeated Russia militarily, it was revolution that knocked Russia out of war not any German military campaign.

Karelia

Post by Karelia » 10 Oct 2014, 18:41

fuser wrote:
Yes, anything to disrupt the enemy but it didn't meant that Kaiser was supporting communism or was a closet communist, they (Germany) didn't anticipated that Reds will actually take power.
I never said the Kaiser was supporting communism nor he expected the reds to take power. Still the revolution hardly came as "a surprise" to Germany, since that was exactly what the commies were sent to do.
fuser wrote:
There was much to revolution than ww1 and the situation at front was not that bad, worse happened in ww2 but this time there was no revolution, obviously there was much to it than just ww1.
"The situation at the front not that bad"? Really?! The soldiers did not have ammo nor food, the losses were huge and they had been forced to retreat. For me that sounds pretty bad! Also the situation back home was very bad too: no food, prices sky high etc.

Of course there was more to the revolution than "just" the war, but it still was the major, the initial and the final cause for it.
fuser wrote:
As I said Germany didn't defeated Russia militarily, it was revolution that knocked Russia out of war not any German military campaign.
The revolution was the direct result of the badly going and prolonged war against Germany. The German campaign and military victories in the East forced Russia to yield - and to fall apart = Germany won.

fuser

Post by fuser » 10 Oct 2014, 19:02

I never said the Kaiser was supporting communism nor he expected the reds to take power. Still the revolution hardly came as "a surprise" to Germany, since that was exactly what the commies were sent to do.
So, now you are claiming Russian Revolution was some German conspiracy? You are pinning too much on Germany, Revolution happened for plethora of reasons including war with Germany.
"The situation at the front not that bad"? Really?! The soldiers did not have ammo nor food, the losses were huge and they had been forced to retreat. For me that sounds pretty bad! Also the situation back home was very bad too: no food, prices sky high etc.
Please, no hyperboles. No Food, No Ammo, really? The situation was still much better than 1941, yet no revolution happened in 1941. Situation was bad but not unslavagable.
The revolution was the direct result of the badly going and prolonged war against Germany. The German campaign and military victories in the East forced Russia to yield - and to fall apart = Germany won.
The revolution was result of many thing and not something that German consciously planned for, Russian army (or Government before revolution) didn't surrendered to Germany neither German Army was sitting in the bulk of Russian territories, as I said before, it was not a military defeat and I fail to see how this obvious fact can be debated.
Last edited by fuser on 10 Oct 2014, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

fuser

Post by fuser » 10 Oct 2014, 19:24

And once again trying to cover up your utter lack of any argument by pathetic straw mans.

Where did I said that Britain won those wars single handedly? Is winning with allies not counted as winning, where have been you taking your history lessons?

Also, fyi Britain always (with some minor exceptions) had allies in all her wars in India.

Hauptmannnenkel
Banned

Post by Hauptmannnenkel » 10 Oct 2014, 19:28

fuser wrote:And once again trying to cover up your utter lack of any argument by pathetic straw mans.

Where did I said that Britain won those wars single handedly? Is winning with allies not counted as winning, where have been you taking your history lessons?

Also, fyi Britain always (with some minor exceptions) had allies in all her wars in India.
im going completly with karelias arguments.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 10 Oct 2014, 19:37

fuser wrote:And once again trying to cover up your utter lack of any argument.

Given the amount of national slurs and profanity he has introduced he is no going to be around for long.

steinmetz
Banned

Post by steinmetz » 10 Oct 2014, 20:47

fuser wrote:Germany didn't won in Russia, the revolution was as much as a surprise to Germans as allies and it was the revolution which put Russia (and resulting civil war) out of war and not Germany.

Besides Britain did won against great powers in 18th and 19th century, seven years war, napolenic wars, crimean war etc etc but I fail to see how is this relevant to what Sid said.
Haha. And I who thought that Britain only played a minor role in the seven years war compared to Prussia.Same thing for the crimean war where the french put up most of the troops.

Harro

Post by Harro » 10 Oct 2014, 20:57

Hauptmannnenkel wrote:
Michael Kenny wrote:
fuser wrote:And once again trying to cover up your utter lack of any argument.
Given the amount of national slurs and profanity he has introduced he is no going to be around for long.
what did i say?
Tritt den Ball, nicht den Gegner ;)

fuser

Post by fuser » 10 Oct 2014, 21:00

Can you guys follow a conversation?

It all begun when Hauptmannnenkel claimed that Britain has won no war against major powers in 18th and 19th century, obviously he was wrong as clearly shown. By the criteria of "You only win war when fighting alone", a very few wars have been won. :roll:

Once again war != a sport

Furthermore, don't forget that this whole topic was started by Hauptmannnenkel which had nothing to with either the topic or the comment made by Sid to which he was replying.

steinmetz
Banned

Post by steinmetz » 10 Oct 2014, 21:03

Hauptmannnenkel wrote:dont forget napoleonic wars. were russia playes the main role. than Vökerschlacht by Leipzig (Germa nations) and later Waterloo (preußen saved brits) and preußen played important role as well.
Brittain tended more to pay the others to fight for it.

ChrisDR68

Post by ChrisDR68 » 10 Oct 2014, 21:12

Sid Guttridge wrote:Hi Chris DR68,

I would suggest that, as Germany was defeated on all those fronts and lost half of all its casualties in those last 10 months, this over extension is more a measure of its weakness than its military superiority. At the end of them the UK, US and USSR each ended up with over 3 million German prisoners in their hands and in possession of virtually every last German aircraft and U-boat.

Anyone can run multiple fronts and lose!

Cheers,

Sid.
I agree with everything you've stated but I think it's still impressive that Germany fought on all these enormous battlefronts for almost a full year before she was finally defeated.

The fact that the Wehrmacht was over extended was squarely on Hitler's shoulders and the decisions he took during 1941.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 10 Oct 2014, 22:48

Eight rubbish posts from Hauptmannnenkel, containing an assortment of off-topic remarks, fact-free opinions, insulting national and personal remarks, and profanity were removed by this moderator -- DT.

Hauptmannnenkel -- The forum rules have been posted for all to see for the past 12 years at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=5#5 and http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53962. They're not optional. Consider this a warning.

bronk7

Post by bronk7 » 22 Oct 2014, 19:25

discipline

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”