"Hitler got it right for Normandy 1944"

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
RichTO90

Re: "Hitler got it right for Normandy 1944"

Post by RichTO90 » 08 May 2015, 15:28

sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:The bouts of good fortune roughly correspond with those very many attempts since repeatedly escaping a bunch of determined killers determined to get you, does require good fortune.
I'm mildly curious how you get from "good fortune" - i.e. coincidence, accident, chance, serendipity, fortuity, providence, happenstance, fate, or
a fluke - to "Even for Normandy he had got it right. Only by that time he had lost his elan and didnt have the guts to follow his instincts !"? :roll: :lol:

Happy VE Day BTW!

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 08 May 2015, 17:19

sandeepmukherjee196 wrote: The bouts of good fortune roughly correspond with those very many attempts since repeatedly escaping a bunch of determined killers determined to get you, does require good fortune.
It is clear (from the totality of your contribtions) that you regards Hitler as some special gifted man who was supported by a mass of totally devoted supermen who were inspired by him into acts of incredible fighting power and bravery.
We are not dealing with 'facts' as normal people see them but a view of Hitler as he would appear if Wagner had made an opera about him.

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 08 May 2015, 17:24

RichTO90 wrote:
sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:I have no clue ! I didnt suggest that they would or should have chosen Belgium. This discussion is following a post by ljadw to the effect that the entire Franco - Belgian coast line presented an invasion probability ( I think Zeebrugge was specifically mentioned) and hence it was impossible for the Germans to mount any kind of credible defence.
Er, yes, the entire Franco-Belgian coastline did present the possibility of invasion, but it was you who reduced that to the absurdity of the specific mention of "maybe OOstende or Zeebrugge :D " on Sat May 02, 2015 3:41 am. Please try to avoid dodging responsibility for your own posts. :lol:
Er, no, Someone else suggested Zeebrugge in the context of a Belgian landing. I added OOstende graciously. The post in question was implying a trade off between the east and west Belgian coast areas as possible landing propositions. Either the eastern Zeebrugge area of the western part adjoining France. Its not my prerogative to make someone else's proposition more plausible by converting a 21 mile stretch to a 42 mile pan Belgian coastline. Please try to stop casting aspersions on folks based on your shallow quickie perusals :)
In the actual event, the nearest scenario to the above hypotheses, was the front in the Dutch - Belgian sector that saw action in Sept - Oct 44. And the "German Armies to the west..." in this case, would be Von Zangen's 15 Armee.
RichTO90 wrote: Er, no, the "front in the Dutch - Belgian sector that saw action in Sept - Oct 44" were the isolated German outposts at Boulogne, Calais, Cap Griz Nez, and Dunkirk...but the operations you keep referring to are the defense of the "Breskens Pocket", Albert Canal-Scheldt line, and MARKET-GARDEN, which have nothing to do with a defense of a coastline versus amphibious invasion.
Er, yes, you are again off the mark, consistently, on this theatre of WW II. The "front in the Dutch - Belgian sector that saw action in Sept - Oct 44" included the Neerpelt - Meuse - Escaut canal area where the British 2nd Army (XXX corps) attacked in the afternoon of 17 September 44. And the Scheldt operations by the Canadians.

Nowhere did I imply that this discussion is limited to the coastline operations alone. Again shallow ..quickie reading? It is patently absurd to even suggest that a discussion on the viability of a Belgian coastal amphibious landing can exclude the follow up break out battles, to follow !! I find it incredible that you are even bringing this up..shallow reading or not !
sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:
ljadw wrote:

It was not a question of Calais or Normandy :it was not a question of north of the Seine or south of the Seine:the Germans would have been faced by the same problems if the Allies were landing north of the Seine .

Only a part of the region Rouen-Bruges (325 km !) was heavily defended:if the 3 PzD (21 Pz,PL,12 SS ) were located at the Pas de Calais (2 Pz in Normandy) and the Allies landed on the Belgian coast,the Germans also would be outmanoeuvred:the PzD would be to late to intervene .If the PzD were located at the Belgian coast(which is 70 km!) the same would happen:if they were at the east coast (Zeebrugge) they could not intervene at the west coast (border with France) and the opposite.And the Rommel option would here also fail,as would the Rundstedt option .

It would have been an extremely interesting operation to watch if the allies crossed the North Sea from the South of England and landed somewhere along the 42 mile Belgian Coast..wow..maybe OOstende or Zeebrugge :D

Finally, if the allied managed to land in Belgium without getting clobbered..and succeeded in establishing beachheads ..what next? Go South west to liberate Paris ..no? Maybe go hell for leather at the German borders to the south east? Both?
sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:
steverodgers801 wrote:The German armies to the west of the salient were given a miserable time when they did try to move to the front
Well.. not exactly. In September, it was time for the allies to attack Germany proper..only the route of the main attack was being debated. Von Zangen's 15th Army, at the Pas de Calais, had a choice to wade into the avalanche of British armour to their south and south east. But they quietly crossed the Schelde ..night after night by ferry... into south Beveland and finally they contributed around 85000 troops to the German defences in Holland before Horrocks attacked and breached Student's defences near Neerpelt.

The ramshackle German defences at Holland had appeared to be a pushover in early September. It seemed that any decent Anglo - Canadian formation could just walk in and take over.The allies, much in line with the sweepingly dismissive mood and tone visible on this thread, wrote off " The German armies to the west of this salient". Dempsey's 2nd Army's Intelligence summary to 2400 hr 7 September, said gleefully : "The doom of 15 Army is already sealed .."

And we all know who gave whom a miserable time in Holland thenceforth !

steverodgers801 wrote:... and the supply lines were not intact. The allies made a concerted effort of dropping every bridge they could and were hitting trains every chance possible
Well here the hypotheses provided by me was about an imagined scenario where the allies landed in Belgium. And created a hanging-in-the-air-salient with its base on the north sea coast and facing every which way east, west and south. With enemy formations present in strength in all 3 directions. German supply and troop movement lines through Central france would have been largely unthreatened by ground forces.

Even in the actual scenario, post Normandy disaster, with allied ground forces on the rampage and new forward airstrips on the mainland under Allied control, Colonel Oscar Koch, G 2-1, US 3 Army (Intel Chief), had this to say on 28 August :

" ...numerous new identifications in contact in recent days have demonstrated clearly that although he is operating under enormous difficulties, the enemy is still capable of bringing new elements into the battle area and transferring some from other fronts.."

Ciao
Sandeep
The above 2 relevant re-posts / quotes should bring in focus the context of this discussion and debate. Or else its like one guy talking about a vehicle's cross country performance / endurance while the other person is giving a critique, thinking that it is about off the mark speed :)

What was my "fantastic supposition"? If an entire intact army had attacked XXX corps on their left flank.. Horrock's formation would have been history! I have specifically mentioned elements of 15 Armee.. without any heavy weapons and equipment which had to be left behind on the western side of the Scheldt. And no "decision had already been reached" please. It was a closely fought campaign. With both sides straining at their seams till the end.
RichTO90 wrote:Your "fantastic supposition"? How about the one that could be inferred from your previous posts that you now make explicit? Just what "entire intact army" are you babbling about? 15. Armee was stripped to support 7. Armee and 5. Panzerarmee throughout June, July, and August, just as 7. Armee would have had to be stripped out to support 15. Armee. 13 of the 17 divisions of 15. Armee were static, so could only contribute the small mobile KG they were able to form to adjacent sectors. But in 7. Armee, only 8 of its 14 divisions were static. IOW, 15. Armee was less capable of mobile defense than its neighbor.
Sighhh ...You cant get over your babbling based on quickie reading habits can you!? Of course 15 Armee wasnt an "entire intact armee ", the way things turned out in the actual scenario! It had been stripped piecemeal first then had to abandon the heavy stuff west of the Scheldt when escaping in early Sept.
That was exactly my point ! If there had been a Belgian landing at OOstende / Zeebrugge ( as per the original proposition) then large sections of the 15 Armee would have been to the west of this zone and would have fought as an intact formation..squeezing the bridgehead.
RichTO90 wrote: In any case, while 15. Armee started its escape - according to van Zangen - on 4 September, it was c. 19 September before any of those evacuees were committed into battle as formations. They were not part of those "1st Para Armee" scratch formations "being assembled around that time"................................................................................................................................................................

Sorry, but yes, MARKET-GARDEN's outcome was decided by 19 September. The supporting XII Corps attack on XXX Corps left (where most of the 15. Armee rescuees went) was already over, Frost's men were isolated, the Nijmegan bridge hadn't been captured, and stronger forces were intervening from the east to cut the corridor.
** ( highlightings by me).....

Sighhh again ! Demonstrably, you do have very little clue about Market Garden I must say :o Mind you, you may have data, info and references..but little understanding of the dynamics of this operation. Market Garden was a failure, in the ultimate analysis, since the bridge over the lower Rhine couldnt be captured at Arnhem and 2 nd Army couldnt gain their entry on the Ruhr through the backdoor... thereby shortening the war ( by 4 odd months maybe).

However Monty called Market Garden " a 90% success " ! I dont agree with this..but thats not the point. XXX corps reached the southern approaches to the Lower Rhine. Lt Col Frost's unit stayed put at the northern side of the bridge till the night of 20 - 21 Sept. The OOsterbeek bridgehead wasnt abandoned till the night of 25-26 Sept. The Germans appeared to be so thick that they didnt realise this till noon 26th !

On the evening of 20 Sept, when the Wall bridge was crossed by the British Guards Armoured Div and US 82 paras, the Germans had next to nothing at Elst! A few rifle pickets .. that all ! The reinforcements came later. One rush could have taken the tanks and accompanying paras / infantry to the lower Rhine !

Next day ( 21st ) when the Poles parachuted in at Driel ( on the southern bank) the German forces became even more stretched. They had to send troops over from the norther side to protect the southern approaches from the Poles. This released pressure on the OOsterbeek perimeter as well as showed the sheer precariousness of the German position !

Imagine on the evening of the 20th, Frost was still holding out north of the bridge. If only the Guards Armoured tanks had bulldozed their way to the southern end of the bridge !?

Coming to the issue of the 15 Armee elements contributing to the defeat of Market Garden. The Irish Guards war diary ( 17 Sept) mentions their surprise when they interrogated POWs from units who were not supposed to be there when they breached Student's defences near Neerpelt ( Meuse Escaut canal sector) viz....15 Armee evacuees supposed to have been west of the Scheldt ( among others like those belonging to the 2 SS Pz Kr KG).

I repeat, it is not my case that 15 Armee splinter groups played a decisive or individually critical role. But in those desperate days of crisis for the 1 FJ Armee at the border, any body of trained infantry men made a difference. And the 15 Armee definitely did pitch in. Their escape made a difference.
Never said early September ! I said 15 Armee started escaping in early Sept. Student's 1st Para Armee too was being assembled around that time as a scratch formation.
RichTO90 wrote:No, you said "Gave a costly battle to the Canadians trying to clear the Antwerp port approaches", which is the battle of October-November. Please try for some logic in your response.
Are you sure you are quite Ok ?..you know where ! How does the date when 15 Armee started their escape across the Scheldt ( early Sept) define the time when the subsequent Scheldt battle occurred? This was not a war game for God's sake ! the Germans didnt have to coordinate and time their moves in sync with the Canadian battle plans ! Just because the Germans started getting troops over from the west of Scheldt to south Beveland in early Sept doesnt mean that the Canadians would have to commence their attacks at the same time !!

If only you remembered well.. or maybe interpreted well from your vast repertoire of data. Student's 1st parachute army was a joke to start with. Apart from the regiment strength FJ..he had a disparate grab bag of Luftwaffe personnel and make shift units and KGs. Totaling about a Div size formation. Any addition to its strength by regular ID elements was a vast improvement.
RichTO90 wrote: So it was a "joke to start with", but managed to stall along the Albert Canal long enough to impose a pause on the British advance? Interesting joke. What it was were the remnants of 719 and 85 Inf.-Div., Division Walther, and Division Erdmann. None of which were those units evacuated across the Scheldt.
No..they didnt " stall long enough " ...since the British didnt seriously attack in this period. Monty was waiting to build up his forces for the set piece offensive to come.
When British field intel started checking on the POWs after the Neerpelt - Valkenswaard attack, they did a double take! Personnel from Divs started showing up who had no business being there ! They were supposed to be on the other side of the Scheldt.
RichTO90 wrote: After the battle of "Joe's Bridge"? I.e., after 10 September? Sure, because the British were being opposed by the remnants of formations they had smashed in the Mons Pocket the week before that continued to flee in front of them. They weren't those troops of 15. Armee that evacuated across the Scheldt.
No 15 Armee evacuees were part of the German line up on the Meuse Escaut canal pl.

Ciao
Sandeep
Last edited by sandeepmukherjee196 on 08 May 2015, 21:04, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 08 May 2015, 17:55

I wonder if you are aware of the pre-invasion 'timetable' for the progress of the war in Europe? If you did then you would be aware that the Germans collapsed and were defeated well in advance of every single 'date' bar the early ones up to August. In short the Allied Campaign in NWE was a runaway success. It was completed in record time. It was a stunning success.
Here is a little puzzle. Can you tell me what the 'D+' number was for reaching the Rhine?

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 08 May 2015, 18:06

This is a clever attempt to disguise the FACT that there is no proof at all for the OP : where is the proof that Hitler said that the Allies would land in Normandy ? And,where is the proof that OBW was believing on an attack on the Pas de Calais ?

An other fact is that it was irrelevant if Hitler was right : were the PzD concentrated in Normandy ? And, if they were concentrated in Normandy ,why would that be relevant ?

After D Day,the German forces on the Belgian coast ,the German forces in Holland were NOT moving to Normandy ;why would they move to Normandy if Hitler was right ? (Besides: they did not ) .

As a perfect market vendor, Sandeep tries to sell us the story that Hitler was right,but that he was no longer the Adolf of 1942,and that the traitor Speidel was sabotaging the whole thing ,and that otherwise,the Germans would have had a chance on D Day (code for : Overlord would fail)

About a landing on the Belgian coast (replacing Dragoon,or even Overlord) :it is of course desperate nonsense to say that 15 Army would come to help 89 AK,and would threaten the Allied right flank:15 Army was not able to go to Normandy after 6 june,why would it be able to go to the Belgian coast ?

Realiry is that already before 6 june the Germans were in the situation that Paul had to rob Peter and Peter had to rob Paul :although they expected a landing in France,the Panther batallion was going to Russia where the usual catastrophe was looming,and,although they expected a Soviet summer offensive, 9 and 10 SS were leaving the east for France,a few days after Overlord .

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 08 May 2015, 19:09

sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:Er, no, Someone else suggested Zeebrugge in the context of a Belgian landing. I added OOstende graciously. The post in question was implying a trade off between the east and west Belgian coast areas as possible landing propositions. Either the eastern Zeebrugge area of the western part adjoining France. Its not my prerogative to make someone else's proposition more plausible by converting a 21 mile stretch to a 42 mile pan Belgian coastline. Please try to stop casting aspersions on folks based on your shallow quickie perusals :)
Ah, sorry, yes it was lajdw who first made the remark about Zeebrugge, in the context of the difficulty a Panzer division stationed there would have in intervening at the opposite extreme of the 15. Armee front and vice versa, not just "in the context of a Belgian landing". You added "OOstende" absurdly rather than graciously. Thanks for the reminder.
Er, yes, you are again off the mark, consistently, on this theatre of WW II. The "front in the Dutch - Belgian sector that saw action in Sept - Oct 44" included the Neerpelt - Meuse - Escaut canal area where the British 2nd Army (XXX corps) attacked in the afternoon of 17 September 44. And the Scheldt operations by the Canadians.

Nowhere did I imply that this discussion is limited to the coastline operations alone. Again shallow ..quickie reading? It is patently absurd to even suggest that a discussion on the viability of a Belgian coastal amphibious landing can exclude the follow up break out battles, to follow !! I find it incredible that you are even bringing this up..shallow reading or not !
Sorry, but after the past absurdities you've engaged in, quickie reading is about all I have the patience for. :P
Well.. not exactly. In September, it was time for the allies to attack Germany proper..only the route of the main attack was being debated. Von Zangen's 15th Army, at the Pas de Calais, had a choice to wade into the avalanche of British armour to their south and south east. But they quietly crossed the Schelde ..night after night by ferry... into south Beveland and finally they contributed around 85000 troops to the German defences in Holland before Horrocks attacked and breached Student's defences near Neerpelt.
Sorry, but repeating incorrect information doesn't make it correct. While 82,000 troops were recorded as crossing the Scheldt from 4 to 29 September, there is little evidence that 85,000 did so prior to 17 September and even less evidence that any of those "contributed to the German defences in Holland before Horrocks attacked".
Sighhh ...You cant get over your babbling based on quickie reading habits can you!? Of course 15 Armee wasnt an "entire intact armee ", the way things turned out in the actual scenario! It had been stripped peacemeal first then had to abandon the heavy stuff west of the Scheldt when escaping in early Sept.
That was exactly my point ! If there had been a Belgian landing at OOstende / Zeebrugge ( as per the original proposition) then large sections of the 15 Armee would have been to the west of this zone and would have fought as an intact formation..squeezing the bridgehead.
You still fail to understand just what "15 Armee...west of this zone" was. Do you somehow have the idea that "15 Armee" was something very different from "7 Armee"? The fortifications in its zone were more complete. That's about it.
Sighhh again ! Demonstrably, you do have very little clue about Market Garden I must say :o Mind you, you may have data, info and references..but little understanding of the dynamics of this operation. Market Garden was a failure, in the ultimate analysis, since the bridge over the lower Rhine couldnt be captured at Arnhem and 2 nd Army couldnt gain their entry on the Ruhr through the backdoor... thereby shortening the war ( by 4 odd months maybe).
"Sighhh" yourself. :lol: Is THAT what you think Monty's plan was?
However Monty called Market Garden " a 90% success " ! I dont agree with this..but thats not the point. XXX corps reached the southern approaches to the Lower Rhine. Lt Col Frost's unit stayed put at the northern side of the bridge till the night of 20 - 21 Sept. The OOsterbeek bridgehead wasnt abandoned till the night of 25-26 Sept. The Germans appeared to be so thick that they didnt realise this till noon 26th !

On the evening of 20 Sept, when the Wall bridge was crossed by the British Guards Armoured Div and US 82 paras, the Germans had next to nothing at Elst! A few rifle pickets .. that all ! The reinforcements came later. One rush could have taken the tanks and accompanying paras / infantry to the lower Rhine !

Next day ( 21st ) when the Poles parachuted in at Driel ( on the southern bank) the German forces became even more stretched. They had to send troops over from the norther side to protect the southern approaches from the Poles. This released pressure on the OOsterbeek perimeter as well as showed the sheer precariousness of the German position !

Imagine on the evening of the 20th, Frost was still holding out north of the bridge. If only the Guards Armoured tanks had bulldozed their way to the southern end of the bridge !?
So the intervention of 85,000 men of 15. Armee before the 19th is what prevented that? :lol:
Coming to the issue of the 15 Armee elements contributing to the defeat of Market Garden. The Irish Guards war diary ( 17 Sept) mentions their surprise when they interrogated POWs from units who were not supposed to be there when they breached Student's defences near Neerpelt ( Meuse Escaut canal sector) viz....15 Armee evacuees supposed to have been west of the Scheldt ( among others like those belonging to the 2 SS Pz Kr KG).
Sighhh. Again. The defenses of the Meuse-Escaut were not put together from units that crossed the Scheldt.
I repeat, it is not my case that 15 Armee splinter groups played a decisive or individually critical role. But in those desperate days of crisis for the 1 FJ Armee at the border, any body of trained infantry men made a difference. And the 15 Armee definitely did pitch in. Their escape made a difference.
Sighhh. Again. Except those units that "escaped" to join 1. Fs.-Armee did so by withdrawing NE from Antwerp, not by crossing the Scheldt in von Zangen's ferry service.
Never said early September ! I said 15 Armee started escaping in early Sept. Student's 1st Para Armee too was being assembled around that time as a scratch formation.
RichTO90 wrote:No, you said "Gave a costly battle to the Canadians trying to clear the Antwerp port approaches", which is the battle of October-November. Please try for some logic in your response.
Are you sure you are quite Ok ?..you know where ! How does the date when 15 Armee started their escape across the Scheldt ( early Sept) define the time when the subsequent Scheldt battle occurred? This was not a war game for God's sake ! the Germans didnt have to coordinate and time their moves in sync with the Canadian battle plans ! Just because the Germans started getting troops over from the west of Scheldt to south Beveland in early Sept doesnt mean that the Canadians would have to commence their attacks at the same time !!

No..they didnt " stall long enough " ...since the British didnt seriously attack in this period. Monty was waiting to build up his forces for the set piece offensive to come.
They didn't? Good to know. :roll:
When British field intel started checking on the POWs after the Neerpelt - Valkenswaard attack, they did a double take! Personnel from Divs started showing up who had no business being there ! They were supposed to be on the other side of the Scheldt.
Which proves they were evacuees from Breskens how?
No 15 Armee evacuees were part of the German line up on the Meuse Escaut canal pl.
That is correct, no 15. Armee units evacuated across the Scheldt on van Zangen's boats were part of the German line up at the Meuse-Escaut Canal on 17 September. That was made up of elements from 719. Inf.-Div., 85. Inf.-Div. (KG Chill), KG Erdmann, and KG Walther, with KG Walther making up the principle opponents of 30 Corps.
Last edited by RichTO90 on 08 May 2015, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 08 May 2015, 19:15

ljadw wrote:About a landing on the Belgian coast (replacing Dragoon,or even Overlord) :it is of course desperate nonsense to say that 15 Army would come to help 89 AK,and would threaten the Allied right flank:15 Army was not able to go to Normandy after 6 june,why would it be able to go to the Belgian coast ?
While I understand your vehemence, you should pause for a moment. LXXXIX A.K. was part of 15. Armee, so arguing about whether or not 15. Armee would "come to help" it is a bit odd. :D Quite a few elements of 15. Armee went to Normandy, but there was already one...and later two armies there so adding a third may not have been helpful. :lol:

The real absurdity is supposing that just because it was "15. Armee" the results of a landing there would have been different.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 08 May 2015, 20:03

BTW, just to be clear, what opposed 30 Corps on the Meuse-Escaut as of 17 September was KG Walther. It was comprised of:

FJR 6., which had been newly filled up with recruits after escaping the Falaise encirclement, parts of the regiment went to Gheel, but the rest were with Walther
FJR 18., which had been at Amiens, then moved with 6. FJD south and were hammered by the U.S. 15 Corps at Mayenne and Le Mans in August, the remnants were joined to Walther as they retreated
KG Heinke (III./SS-Pz.Gren.Regt. 19 and II./SS-Pz.-Gren.Regt. 19) - an alarm unit created from the few mobile assets of 9. and 10. SS divisions
Fs.Pz. Ers.u.Aus.Regt. HG.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 08 May 2015, 20:17

RichTO90 wrote:
ljadw wrote:About a landing on the Belgian coast (replacing Dragoon,or even Overlord) :it is of course desperate nonsense to say that 15 Army would come to help 89 AK,and would threaten the Allied right flank:15 Army was not able to go to Normandy after 6 june,why would it be able to go to the Belgian coast ?
While I understand your vehemence, you should pause for a moment. LXXXIX A.K. was part of 15. Armee, so arguing about whether or not 15. Armee would "come to help" it is a bit odd. :D Quite a few elements of 15. Armee went to Normandy, but there was already one...and later two armies there so adding a third may not have been helpful. :lol:
I should have said : the forces at the Pas de Calais,which was the meaning of Sandeep,when he was talking about large sections of the 15 Army going to the west of the landing zone (on the Belgian coast) as intact formations and sqeezing the bridgehead

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 08 May 2015, 20:26

RichTO90 wrote:
The real absurdity is supposing that just because it was "15. Armee" the results of a landing there would have been different.

I will expect that Sandeep will qualify 15 Army as elite . :P

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 08 May 2015, 21:35

Go to the Belgian coast ? Where exactly do you think the 15 Armee was deployed? And what was the distance to the Belgian Coast?
ljadw wrote:
RichTO90 wrote:

I should have said : the forces at the Pas de Calais,which was the meaning of Sandeep,when he was talking about large sections of the 15 Army going to the west of the landing zone (on the Belgian coast) as intact formations and sqeezing the bridgehead
Again...." going to the west of the landing zone..." ! The 15 Armee was sitting bang on the western flank of the area where you were proposing the allies could have landed. They would have fallen on the right flank of an allied landing like a sack of coals.

steverodgers801

Post by steverodgers801 » 08 May 2015, 21:51

German supply was given a miserable time by air power. I would suggest a big argument against a Belgium landing is the coast is exposed to the North sea and not semi protected as Normandy, The fact that the allies decided not to land in Belgium is based on such factors. The main issue for the allies supply difficulties is that Hitler upset the time table by fighting as long as he did in Normandy. The allies expected an phased withdrawal by Germany to the Seine. The heavy fighting in Normandy required a major shift to artillery shells at the expense of fuel and thus when the Germans collapsed there had not been the time to stock pile fuel as originally planned for

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 08 May 2015, 22:18

sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:Again...." going to the west of the landing zone..." ! The 15 Armee was sitting bang on the western flank of the area where you were proposing the allies could have landed. They would have fallen on the right flank of an allied landing like a sack of coals.
Sighhh! No, I guess you don't know what 15. Armee was. "Sitting bang on the western flank of the area" of LXXXIX A.K., which is what you are talking about, was LXXXII A.K. It consisted of three static divisions in line in the coastal defenses, which, naturally enough, were unlikely to go anywhere very fast. In "reserve" was 326. Inf.-Div., which was technically static, but was in the process of reorganizing as a mobile division, which left it not very ready for operations either...it wasn't in condition to deploy until mid-July. The other was a mobile division, 331. Inf., which was southeast of Calais. It had arrived from the east on 16 March to refresh, and wasn't fully ready for combat until mid-July as well. Both likely would have sent ready units in KG strength...that is the "sack of coals" you're talking about. :lol:

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 09 May 2015, 07:01

Distance (for the crow) : Calais-Oostende :99.04 km
:Calais-Zeebrugge : 131.42 km

How long would it take for the sack of coals in question to arrive at Oostende/Zeebrugge ,even without opposition ? A week ?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 09 May 2015, 11:53

Hi Guys,

If, "Hitler got it right for Normandy 1944", presumably he had sufficient faith in his own intuition to use his power as supreme commander to order his generals to concentrate the necessary forces there and a great German victory followed?

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”