Did Hitlers drug use effect his military decisions?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
David1819

Did Hitlers drug use effect his military decisions?

Post by David1819 » 26 Feb 2015, 01:27

Hitler was on a large cocktail of several powerful drugs and the dosage and variety seemed to increase as time went on.

I would say the drugs drastically effected the decisions made at the top. Amphetamine injections being one major mind altering substance that could explain Hitler's need to constantly counter attack and always feel optimistic no mater the odds.

Effects of Amphetamines

.feelings of euphoria, excitement and a sense of wellbeing
.increased confidence and motivation
.a sense of power and superiority over others
.increased talkativeness
.repetition of simple acts
.nervousness, anxiety, agitation and panic
.increased libido
.paranoia
.hallucinations
.irritability, hostility and aggression
.headaches
.dizziness
.feeling more awake and alert, reduced need for sleep and difficulty sleeping
.abrupt shifts in thought and speech that can make people difficult to understand

To my knowledge he also took tranquilizers (barbiturates) and received steroid injections. Was Hitler a bad strategist or was his mind to stricken with mind altering substances to make rational decisions?

ChrisDR68

Re: Did Hitlers drug use effect his military decisions?

Post by ChrisDR68 » 01 Mar 2015, 19:36

As I understand it by the time Hitler was taking a large cocktail of these drugs (1943/44), the strategic situation Germany found herself in was not salvageable.

So to answer your question directly - yes they did affect his military decisions but as the war was effectively already lost by this time it made little real difference.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”