We all love WWII, so have any one you ever spoken with noted WWII authors/scholars?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
SpicyJuan

Re: We all love WWII, so have any one you ever spoken with noted WWII authors/scholars?

Post by SpicyJuan » 23 Jun 2015, 17:31

ChristopherPerrien wrote:I take it you don't understand "anonymity" . Many Scholars and Historians are not gonna be public here and have mud slung at them or engage in biggus dickus discussions in a public forum or talk to anyone who immediately goes posting "private" e-mails between them, to the public. The topic poster is an example of this , happening in another topic with Max Hastings. http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=216243 .

Got to realize , big name people, rely on the publishing industry which is a part of the MSM, if they say something that "can/will be misconstrued/taken out of context" about history, particularly anything related to Nazi Germany, they can lose their jobs and be blackballed by academia and all major publishing houses, possibly even being jailed in various countries. Example -look no further than -David Irving.

Even just regular people don't use their real names here , for this very reason too.

I have my suspicions about certain posters here on this forum, by judging what they say, how they say it , how much they know, and comparing that to known names, their public/published books/writings, and who they are in the "real" world. I certainly wont discuss such things here or name names, because if somebody wants to be anonymous here , I respect that.
No, I do understand, but there are very rare occasions where they do make themselves known, but often aren't the very well known ones.

Ken S.

Re: We all love WWII, so have any one you ever spoken with noted WWII authors/scholars?

Post by Ken S. » 25 Jun 2015, 17:02

I can think of one, but this was in regards to WWI, not WWII...
SpicyJuan wrote:How often do they respond? What are their names (on and off forums)? What probably scared me the most with historians on forums is the thought that they have been proven wrong on a number of subjects by us "commoners".

ViKinG

Post by ViKinG » 04 Aug 2015, 09:36

I have exchanged e-mails with David Stahel and David Glantz back and forth a few times to get a few references and some material.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 04 Aug 2015, 21:21

I've corresponded with Ian Kershaw, who referenced my "Gauleiter" manuscript in his book "The End" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End:_ ... E2%80%9345 ), and subsequently wrote the foreword to my first "Gauleiter" volume. And Roger Bender has been my publisher since 2001. Richard Hargreaves wrote the foreword to the second "Gauleiter" volume and is a very good friend. My old, defunct (but still viewable, somehow) website- Axis Biographical Research- has been mentioned in the bibliographies of about a dozen authors, some good, some not so.

~ Mike

ViKinG

Post by ViKinG » 05 Aug 2015, 12:50

Wow. that's Great Michael that an reknown auther took his personal time to help you out especially by writing the forward to your book!!

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 05 Aug 2015, 17:18

No. Never. One noted author has elected to focus on output and discard writing and editing skills or even an editor and it shows in his work. I commented on this regarding his recent works in another forum and his illustrator who apparently is his guard dog came in to condescend me.[fellow has even done shill reviews on Amazon] Others have commented also the text preparation aspect of his work has declined considerably. I realize just to leave it alone. Write a detailed review on Amazon and be on your way.

I no longer purchase his books...

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 05 Aug 2015, 19:40

Michael Miller wrote:Richard Hargreaves wrote the foreword to the second "Gauleiter" volume and is a very good friend.
That's very kind Mike. :thumbsup:

I get sporadic requests for help. I will if I have the information and the time or if I feel I can generally contribute. I provided Mike Jones with quite a lot of German material for his recent Eastern Front works - better it gets used that sits on one of my hard drives.

And on the flip side, for me, getting referenced by other authors is a sign of respect - it means that your work is valued and valuable. That's right up there with a 5-star review on Amazon. I've been misreferenced by one author (twice) which was a bit of a surprise, too.

Five, ten years ago, I'd get much more frequent requests either on here or on Feldgrau, far less so these days because the forums are much less active and I pop in much less frequently myself.

I don't engage with people who give bad reviews on Amazon etc (most of them are generally unfair) or rant on forums (wouldn't happen on this one, natürlich :D ) but for those who provide critical comment I'll take on board suggestions wherever possible (one reason why I'm working on a second edition of my Polish campaign book) and try to answer them.

I wish I could engage more - bounce ideas around, run things past people. No author can be total master of his or her subject, however much research they do, so we do rely in outside support. And I'll try to help others out, but the chief constraint is time. Writing a book is a 4-5 year effort if you're doing it properly and devours pretty much your entire free time. On a purely selfish level, it doesn't leave time for much else!

ViKinG

Post by ViKinG » 06 Aug 2015, 00:52

Well Richard I'll keep everything you said in mind in case I need someone to read over my research one day! =)

Luc

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”