Aged German military

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
marcie

Aged German military

Post by marcie » 09 Jul 2015, 11:40

Hello, I am new to this forum but was hoping all you could help me out. I am doing family research on my husband's family. His grandfather was put into a German uniform at age 55 for part of the battle of Stalingrad as an interpreter (he spoke perfect Russian.) I know that the German army starting taking the old and the young into service near the end of the war, but here at battle of Stalingrad 1942-1943, his grandfather was 55! Were there any age cutoffs, and when did the military begin broadening the age requirements? Also, from a tape we learned that his grandfather was "driven out" of service before the siege and end of the Battle of Stalingrad. Why would they send serviceman back home? If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be so appreciative!

RandJS

Re: Aged German military

Post by RandJS » 18 Jul 2015, 12:42

Hi Marcie,

Your grandfather in law may have been drafted during the early campaign because he could "speak perfect Russian", where a translator would be valuable during interrogations or dealing with the local population. As a result of the disaster in the east, by the end of 1943, requirements were lowered, and men up to age 60 were being drafted into service. He may have been "driven out" as the tide of battle changed, and the need for an interpreter decreased as Germany went over to the defense. Researching his unit history may help.

Rand

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”