Epic first hours of Barbarossa!!

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
KingTiger_Ace

Epic first hours of Barbarossa!!

Post by KingTiger_Ace » 10 May 2016, 04:04

Hi 16 year old WW2 German Military Enthusiasts, new to the site and excited to learn!!!

Can anyone imagine the first few hours of the opening of Operation Barbarossa, the sheer size of the force travelling through the forest and then attacking the initial villages and strong points. Extremely scary sighting for the Russians but it must've looked so cool, the airplanes rolling in while tanks, and troop carriers drive full speed across the plains and forest! Does anyone know if there are any pictures ( i doubt it ) or books/ diaries that have recollections of the first day or few hours? It would be so neat, especially given its massive proportions and been the biggest invasion of human history.

Miles Krogfus

Re: Epic first hours of Barbarossa!!

Post by Miles Krogfus » 10 May 2016, 22:37

Check a local library for "Hitler Moves East 1941-1943" by the famous/infamous Paul Carell. It begins: "For two days they had been lying in the dark pinewoods with their tanks and vehicles." Cheap paperback copies for sale on internet sites should also be available of this book. Melodramatic, but it is a good start, and later you can find scholarly works about Barbarossa that are more objective. As regards your Blog title, Most of the scores of Tiger aces and crewmen I corresponded with are gone to Valhalla . . .
Miles K.

KingTiger_Ace

Post by KingTiger_Ace » 11 May 2016, 05:07

Ok thanks for the recommendation of the book!! never heard of it and looks pretty good. Ya im doing a project on the eastern front currently for school so its totally awesome bringing school with something i love!

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 18 May 2016, 01:41

Panzer leader by Heinz Guderian

kugelpanzer

Post by kugelpanzer » 21 Jun 2016, 18:08

Hi I'm 17! Great to find someone close to my age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4eHcl4eM4I This is a lengthy documentary but it includes direct interviews with several soldiers describing their participation in the early hours and preparations for operation Barbarossa. Great first hand resource that describes the exciting experience for a young German soldier.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”