Lost papers at Normandy Landing

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Omaharecon

Lost papers at Normandy Landing

Post by Omaharecon » 09 Jun 2016, 05:05

I have been a student of World War II since childhood. Recently, I was watching D-Day in HD presented by the History Channel. A couple of things got my attention. First, in the film it was stated that a set of plans/ orders fell into German hands that outlined the Normandy landing;s objectives and how they were planned to be reached. According to the film, this information was used effectively to allow ambushes to be placed along the routes to be taken, particularly in the Omaha beach sector. The missed drop zones for parachute infantry were effective in countering some of these actions. Were these papers found by the 352nd Inf.?

Second, a sequence depicted the arrival of Waffen-SS units who were under orders to "not take prisoners alive." Was this correct? A sequence showing Wehrmacht soldiers faking the execution of a group of prisoners after Waffen-SS troops ordered their execution. Were there incidents like this?

I am looking forward to your help in finding these answers.

Respectfully, John

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”