Hitler and the Firebombing of Tokyo (Reposted from Japan at War)

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
ForrestIII

Hitler and the Firebombing of Tokyo (Reposted from Japan at War)

Post by ForrestIII » 28 Jan 2017, 23:29

I was curious that in the March or April of 1945, if Hitler received any news about the firebombing of Tokyo on March 9-10 (Operation Meetinghouse). I would imagine that either the German or Swedish Embassy would have sent reports to Europe about it that could've
or would've gotten back to Hitler. Does anyone know if he ever found out?
Logic would be my Lifeblood if I had any. Unfortunately I just have regular blood.

Harry Yeide

Re: Hitler and the Firebombing of Tokyo (Reposted from Japan at War)

Post by Harry Yeide » 15 Mar 2017, 01:33

I recently went through the MAGIC intercepts from that period, and I don't recall any mention of the German Embassy reporting it, though that might not have been deemed worth processing. Almost all the curiosity and collection requirements about experience with strategic bombing comes from the Tokyo end from about 1943 onward. Tokyo requests information on the effects of bombing, countermeasures, how to shoot down four-engine bombers, and so on. Again, I do not recall Berlin displaying any curiosity about the bombing of Japan, which began in earnest after most German cities were bombed out.

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 18 Mar 2017, 12:21

ForrestIII wrote: Does anyone know if he ever found out?
Why does it matter ?
It's not like he would have cared.

ForrestIII

Post by ForrestIII » 16 Jul 2017, 18:33

I just got a copy of Final Entries 1945: The Diaries of Joseph Goebbels. Goebbels does not specifically mention the Tokyo raid but he does talk about Japan. As a corollary to this, according to Marching Orders by Bruce Lee, the Japanese Government found out about the Remagen Bridge crossing on March 15.
Logic would be my Lifeblood if I had any. Unfortunately I just have regular blood.

Southe

Post by Southe » 27 Jul 2017, 21:40

Oh, I have never heard about this before, it seems like i have skipped something when reading the books about the WW. Okay, even tough this happened i don't think that the European or Swedish Embassy ever sent reports to Europe, I'm quite sure that everything that Hitler had to know he knew it, even tough a lot of countries tried to keep secrets...

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”