Does anyone have information on this Aufseherin?

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
GIEH

Does anyone have information on this Aufseherin?

Post by GIEH » 30 Jan 2015, 00:44

I wonder if anyone can shed light on this. I've been trying to uncover the histories of the Aufseherin (female camp guards) and as is often the case it's the less notorious ones that are difficult. The only Aufseherin that I can't get any information at all is this one ringed below Marta Löbelt. She was a telephonist in Belsen when it was liberated and was one of the few that were not prosecuted although she was arrested. She apparently did not want to work there and tried to get out of it although I'm not sure on the authenticity of that.

Does anyone know any information on Marta Löbelt? What happened to her before and after this pic? As I'm particularly interested in what German people went through post-war, I'd also be interested in what happened to her after the war ended. Does anyone have any tips on how to get this information? Are there records in Germany that would help?

https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authus ... zZqbC0tR2M

Heimatschuss

Re: Does anyone have information on this Aufseherin?

Post by Heimatschuss » 30 Jan 2015, 03:07

Hello,

it seems your link requires logging in to see the picture. Is it this pic: http://www.bergenbelsen.co.uk/pages/Sta ... phsID=1347 ?

The two women in the centre are wearing typical Aufseherinnen jackets with outside hip pockets and 'closed' collars.

The woman on the left (Marta Löbelt) has a completely different uniform, internal hip pockets this time and a V-shaped open collar. Also the cut of the skirt is entirely different. This could be a uniform for a SS-Helferinnen (female SS communications personnel) though I don't notice the typical slit for the internal left-side breast pocket, but that may be due to the size of the photo. It also could be a uniform for Luftwaffenhelferinnen or one for female police auxiliaries. In black & white and with the insignia gone it's very difficult to say, there are several options.

Perhaps Löbelt's name is in the lists of women who attended the Reichsschule SS in Oberehnheim (Alsace) to become SS-Helferin. If not it'll be almost impossible to find info on her if it isn't in the Bergen-Belsen files.

Best regards
Torsten

GIEH

Re: Does anyone have information on this Aufseherin?

Post by GIEH » 31 Jan 2015, 03:29

Thanks. That has given me a lot of helpful stuff to use. Irma Grese's testimonies say most of the Aufseherin were not SS. Another source as well says that most telephonists in the concentration camps were sent there from the Reichsarbeitsdienst (Labour Service) so I'm assuming she wasn't SS but that could be wrong. The difference in uniform to the other women next to her suggests not SS. The only info I can get on Marta Löbelt is that she was not prosecuted. However, I have been informed that one female nazi died from typhus a couple of weeks after being forced to bury the tyhphus ridden corpses so it could be that she wasn't prosecuted because she died. If this is so, it would explain the lack of info on her, as the allies covered up a bit on things like that, for example all the German nurses they forced to clean the inmates with typhus, died a few weeks later, but there's very little mention of that anywhere and details of the nurses is almost impossible to get. Also, on the pic, Marta Löbelt has a bandaged wound on a finger on her right hand, if this was like this during the handling of the corpses, typhus would have been very likely.

I've dug up info on every one of the Belsen Aufseherin for a friend of mine who is doing an article on the subject but details of Marta Löbelt have been sparse to say the least which makes me wonder if there's something sinister.

Return to “Women in the Reich”