1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Danno

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Danno » 06 Nov 2015, 22:16

Dusty1945 wrote:Hey all. I've ended up back here to check on things. My work on tracking down Haglund family in the states isn't really finished. The two I contacted via email whom responded claim to be of no relation.(trying to be tactful and courteous as to respect peoples privacy)

I'm posting here today to throw out an avenue that may be pursued. I apologize in advance for the morbidity of this thought but I think it's realistic enough to take seriously. There is the possibility that the reason why no bells have rung on the identity of the girl is because perhaps she did not survive the fallout after the war. I understand that the majority of the German population who survived the war also survived the famine, epidemics etc after the war but still. I understand as many as 10 million ethnic Germans died in the years after May 8th 1945...that was a lot of people.

Basically what i'm saying is maybe checking death records around the area from 1945-50s. That's a lot of people(proves my point).

I'm not saying i'm sold on this, it's just a very plausible explanation as to why history seems to have rolled over this girl. I'm interested as to your thoughts on this.

Cheers!
Hi Dusty,

Definitely a plausible explanation but wouldnt know where to start searching :(

Are death records searchable for WW2?

Helluiz

Post by Helluiz » 07 Nov 2015, 23:23

Hello everybody, how are you?

My name is Luiz Henrique and i´m from Brazil, and today its my first day here as a member, i see this topic for a long time, but i´ve never creat a login, but today, as a member i´m just passed to congrats all of you, for those great coments, pictures ans links, for the great job to find who where this beautiful german girl that when i saw her video for the first time, i just was speechless, trying to understand what was her feeling on that moment, the pain, the fear, so, after that video i enter in a google search to le3arn more about her, and the best link is here, this great forum.

So everbody, sorry for write these in the midlle of the coments, but i really would like to say that its a pleasure to meet you all, and to become a member.

See you all!

Pokfulam

Post by Pokfulam » 08 Nov 2015, 14:49

The odds were not in her favor. There was a similar hunt for a young woman who was taken injured out of a car in Koln in the middle of a tank battle. She was laid beside the side of the road with the rescue being captured on camera. A documentary crew later tracked down the tank crew on both sides and they remembered the incident.

Sadly, an eye witness taking shelter in a nearby building verified that she was run over by a Sherman tank later in the day. Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/FFU4q2KkVmA

wellman6996

Post by wellman6996 » 20 Nov 2015, 17:18

I have wondered about the lost German Girl for 35 years. The first time I saw her, I was 16. The world at war was the series that got me interested in WW2 history. I found this link to her story today (my 51 birthday). I hope that this additional info helps.

http://aerialphenomena.blogspot.ca/2012 ... woman.html

mars0367

Post by mars0367 » 20 Nov 2015, 17:52

The details of that incident are sad, but have nothing to do with the odds as to whether or not the Lost German Girl survived the end of the war.

and welcome to the thread.

:welcome:

Mars
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. - George Carlin RIP
So is the above statement true or not - Mars
Truth will out - Shakespeare

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 22 Nov 2015, 22:03

What were her chances of survival if LGG had a severe apendicitis ( just as an example ) in the POW camp that same day ? I suppose that very little. As it would have been the case with any other not very serious medical condition which turns to be fatal given the lack of proper care and resourses.

Cheers

imi912
Banned

Post by imi912 » 27 Nov 2015, 12:57

she look like 20-25 years old but this woman looks beaten hard, probably she was a nurse or a hilfswilliger in the german army

Stephan

Post by Stephan » 27 Nov 2015, 21:22

wellman6996 wrote:I have wondered about the lost German Girl for 35 years. The first time I saw her, I was 16. The world at war was the series that got me interested in WW2 history. I found this link to her story today (my 51 birthday). I hope that this additional info helps.

http://aerialphenomena.blogspot.ca/2012 ... woman.html

Wow. Here it is. Unless its a fanzine, this is it. Our long astern chase pursuit is over.

Btw, that voice to the recording in russian, are not comments, its as I understand it, some poem. My russian is not good enough to understand exactly what about.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 27 Nov 2015, 21:40

Reads like an author putting together a book IMHO.

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 28 Nov 2015, 00:54

It is just a very well written fiction based on the data gathered in the LGG thread through these years.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 28 Nov 2015, 00:58

Yes, absolutely!

Fiction based and well written and at this point from past entries over long
time I am dubious of anyone saying they know or met this person.

hselassi

Post by hselassi » 28 Nov 2015, 18:08

Yes, it is obviously fanfic since the writer makes a newbie mistake when writing a POV story, he/she provides greater situational awareness (e.g. what Haglund was doing/saying) than would be available/possible to a 1st person recollection.

While the research in this thread (I have been following it from the beginning) has been stellar, I think it is time to put it to bed. Somebody should gather the verified research into a long post and then access to the thread should be limited to posts that bring in new information vetted by forum mods.

As far as LGG goes, based on where she was, I assume she survived the war and is probably dead now (she would be at least 90 if she were alive). The odds of us finding out her identity without access to military, and if that fails, civilian picture documents, is nil.

Just my two cents.

Dusty1945

Post by Dusty1945 » 28 Nov 2015, 22:58

hselassi wrote:While the research in this thread (I have been following it from the beginning) has been stellar, I think it is time to put it to bed. Somebody should gather the verified research into a long post and then access to the thread should be limited to posts that bring in new information vetted by forum mods.
I see no reason to end the thread. People who are interested enough in the topic will read through all of it. I would however like to see the mods take posts detailing claims to her identity aside, out of view and personally verify with the poster of their sources.

If anything start a new thread for the more serious contributions.

I will admit that the posts bringing up that fanfic story are getting rather annoying.

Constan_t

Post by Constan_t » 01 Dec 2015, 21:34

Sup fellas,

I decided to do a small overview about the clues you guys gathered over the 7 years regarding the LGG, though I have to admit that I only read the last 30 pages as I thought it would be enough to filter some of the flimsy evidence. Feel free to post suggestions/correct me.

Let's start with the User 'Münchhausen'. He is probably the closest we got in the search of the LGG. 'Münchhausen' suggests that his grandpa had a personal encounter with the LGG on the 8th of May, 1945. That's of course, if one belevies his story. Let's just assume every word he said is true, because my whole post revovles about what he wrote in the last few pages. If you guys found out that he's a fraud and already debunked him then I'll be a sad panda. Well anyway..
'Münchausen' claims his grandpa was there when this footage was shot by the american GI Haglund and also that he had a brief encounter with the woman shown in the video.
He posts;

He surrendered to the Americans on May 8th, 1945 next to Rokycany with several of his companions of the SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 4 "Der Führer". He was not a member of the column commanded by Weiddinger - left later - but was progressing with two other motorcyclists of the SS-Aufklärungs rolled up in white flags and sent by officers to recognize and make sure that the road had well been secured - as agreed between Weiddinger and the Americans - because the attacks of partisans were ceaseless. He told me that the concerned German troops had all received from some American gasoline without which they would never have been able to cross the distance between Prag and Rokycany.

The LGG was a member of a group of about ten Waffen-SS " Böhmen " wearing civilian clothes and desperately trying to reach the American lines. My great-uncle remembers that, when arriving at their level, the young woman burst in the middle of the road, making signs so that they stop, which they did. So she asked if they knew where were the Americans. He remembers perfectly her fascinating beauty in spite of the knocks she received in the face, her youth and desperate energy. Other men were set back and looked exhausted and discouraged, being afraid of encountering again partisans. My great-uncle and his friends advised them to wait for the main column coming from Prague as getting themselves involved to it. The fact is that Weiddinger orders were strict: only the military units belonging to 2. SS-Panzer-Division were concerned by the protocol of surrender. The motorcyclists gave to the group of fugitives their last rations and restarted in the direction of Rokycany.

I asked my great-uncle if, He believed that she belonged to the SS : He said « Maybe an Aufseherin or one of those girls from the SS-Flak, maybe a German of Sudetenland". I showed him the Luftwaffe pants: he answered me by laughing that all the German girls adored the Luftwaffe ski pants and that even SS auxiliary wore it.

He added that she really had something, otherwise He wouldn't have remembered her : "something as a kind of repressed humanity which had just reappeared in the middle of war abjection, probably too late" He also told me that this situation was really really sad because He and his comrades knew from the beginning of this brief encounter that she had been probably raped but that nobody said anything about it.

I asked my relative if he had been able to notice that the LGG had a particular German accent: he told me again that He was sure that she was from Sudetenland.

The second time they were stopped by the LGG in the middle of the road. With her were, as I have already written, several "SS-Oberabschnitt Böhmen-Mähren" survivors of the "Kampfgruppe Wallenstein". « She was very attractive, very agitated, nervous and brave but terrified at the same time ". Several of the soldiers who wear civilian clothes had been also beaten, "certainly in Rokycany", but by civilians, not by partisans "otherwise they would have been killed ».

The most relevant points we can gather from that are:

• 1. She's from the Sudetenland
  • 2. Probably a SS-/Flakhelferin
  • 3. Mentioned something along the lines about pretty women being raped, so the probablity of rape reemerged ( "He also told me that this situation was really really sad because he and his comrades knew from the beginning of this brief encounter that she had been probably raped but that nobody said anything about it")
  • 4. His impression of her was; "She was very attractive, very agitated, nervous and brave but terrified at the same time"
  • 5. The whole encounter between him and the woman lasted about 10 min at best
  • 6. Also mentions who delivered the beating; "Several of the soldiers who wear civilian clothes had been also beaten, "certainly in Rokycany", but by civilians, not by partisans "otherwise they would have been killed"
  • 7. The video footage of the LGG was shot in a small village called Ejpovice, 10km away from Pilsen near the czech border.
But still no name or any solid evidence about her identity. Her fate is also unkown as the Red Army couldn't be that far away that day as the whole event took place on May 8th 1945, the end of war in europe. Since the footage was shot by the american GI 'Hardlund' it could mean that she survived the pre-post war phase and got taken in as a POW by the US but if she somehow fell into the hands of the Soviets, then her chance of surviving the early hours after the war would be minimal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also suggest a stricter moderation in this thread. There's way too much reposting, introduction from new users ("Hey guys, just registered and wanted to say what an amazing forum this is..") and generally too much off topic posts.

The OP is now 7 years old. Crazy how little is known about the LGG after all these years. Granted, we are not professional investigators, with limited access to historical documents. But then again, how likely is it that a professional could find a random, unkown and historically unimportant woman, based on a 70 year old video clip with a runtime of less than a minute?

Ondy

Post by Ondy » 11 Dec 2015, 22:17

Hi everybody, it is fascinating how long and how many people around the world were investigating about this girl. Not only here on this post, but also on many others forums. Finally at least some info about her story had been found. I am also glad to find these info, because I found this film also very heartbreaking.
I am from Czech Republic, living near this place where the film had been taken. Sometimes I am driving the road just from nostalgia. Last time today :)
Just got an idea, that after soo long time, maybe I could up-load actual pictures of the place...just for you .)
ondy
[email protected]

Return to “Women in the Reich”