1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Leo7382

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Leo7382 » 13 Jan 2016, 17:41

I have only today seen this footage. Is there any chance the attractive blonde girl could have been abused and stole the clothes you see her in and what actual proof is there that she was SS...????

Dusty1945

Post by Dusty1945 » 13 Jan 2016, 23:23

@ Leo7382

There are several compilations of facts and findings posted through the thread. Find those and read them and that will save you time from reading the whole thing.

The reason for her being an SS auxiliary comes from the shot sheets of the camera man himself, Oren Haglund. His shot sheets have been summarized by someone else and that summary is available to the right of the video here: http://www.ushmm.org/online/film/displa ... e_num=4686

In it he describes her as "SS girl". Of course he may have been mistaken. But I'll take that mans word before any other speculation seen on the internet. In the end we don't know for sure. Where I stand at the moment is in that "occam's razor" suggests she was SS.

DD66

Post by DD66 » 15 Jan 2016, 23:19

It's worth pointing out that there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that the shot sheets were written by Haglund, and it is pure speculation that LGG was SS.
Apart from the location, nothing is known for sure about the events covered in the LGG video.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 16 Jan 2016, 00:23

It only matters that this person may have been SS for the ability to find out more info about her though pursuing relevant history/records of such a possible connection. It also lends towards thinking she may have not survived due to mob justice /executions. Nobody here cares about speculation/insinuation she was some kind of "bitch of Buchenwald" and therefore any research toward finding out what happened to her is ignoble.

Dusty1945

Post by Dusty1945 » 16 Jan 2016, 01:22

Why does the shot sheet summary need to be by Haglund himself in order to be accurate. Likely the archive summarized his shot sheet near verbatim. Some people seem to be suggesting that the archive went out of its way to change his description from: "german girl", "sudeten girl", "auxilliary girl" "local girl" instead with ''SS girl"... why? It's kind of furtive.

The idea that she was likely associated w/ the SS appears to be hard on some peoples sensitivities. Unfortunate considering that it's one of the best leads on who she was.

***Note: To echo ONE of the points that I think ChristopherPerrien was making. Lets say for a moment that she was indeed SS, that doesn't automatically mean that she was some sociopath She-Wolf preying in the camps.

DD66

Post by DD66 » 16 Jan 2016, 09:18

Nothing to do with sensitivities, although it does seem that the idea that she wasn't SS appears to be hard on other peoples sensitivities.
It's about historical accuracy.
If I watched the video, then wrote a description of what I'd seen, would that make it the official account of what happened?
The shot list looks like it was written that way. It could have been written decades after the event.
I agree, that it does seem likely that she was in some way connected to the SS, but we don't know that for sure.
But, please feel free to continue passing off your assumptions as facts, I just hope you never get called up for jury service.

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 05 Feb 2016, 15:47

Well, a whole series of deads are referred to as "SS troopers" in the shotsheet with just as little evidence as for LGG that such description is appropriate. No SS insignia at all on any of them.

Changing topic slightly, does anyone follow me on this one ?

The tan line on neck indicates to me that her standard wear has been a collar and tie. And that she wore it outside.

Further indicators for me that we are talking about a Flakhelferin.
Attachments
collar.jpg

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 07 Feb 2016, 02:14

Nobody had noticed that so far.

Kjakan

Post by Kjakan » 07 Feb 2016, 02:55

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 07 Feb 2016, 06:28

LOL, The second one answers the tale if true.

:welcome: Kjakan

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 07 Feb 2016, 08:56

I guess this is old news now
Yes, it's been up in the forum already. It is fictional, but nicely written.

Neil_UK

Post by Neil_UK » 18 Feb 2016, 23:02

Hello fellow LGG fans! After lurking for quite a while, I've just signed up to this excellent forum. The video of LGG has haunted me for years, and after doing a lot of searching for information on her, I had got nowhere until I came across the Axis History Forum. I think the main fascination for me is partly the fact that she is very pretty, she looks totally shell shocked, she's just had a good beating and most likely only just escaped being killed, and as has been mentioned before, you just want to soothe her injuries, give her a sandwich and a hug, and make sure she feels safe.

If anyone is interested, I have decided to share my thoughts with you all. These are my own thoughts, and not based on anything concrete.

It seems like we (the forum collective) are 95% - 98% sure of the location of where the film of her was shot. To my mind that is good enough for me.

Who was she?

I have no idea

Military or civilian?

I am sure she is from a military unit. She appears to have a red Soldbuch in her hand.

Job/Function

Well, I'm fairly sure she isn't a guard from Terezine concentration camp. All the female camp guards I have seen photos of, their uniforms include a skirt and not Wermacht style trousers or black shirt/pullover. They mostly tended to wear knee boots and not shoes or soldier type work boots that LGG has on. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on her being a Luftwaffe Helferinnen, either at a flak gun site, or a searchlight unit, given the state of her finger nails. But, considering that a female searchlight unit would appear to have been nearly all females, I'm drawn to wondering why she is sat with a group of chaps and not her fellow crewmembers, unless she was either separated from them, or is a sole survivor!

Murders/Executions

The guys who were killed at the side of the road must have been part of a very small group (advanced recce party perhaps?). I would very much doubt as to whether a roving group of Malitia, locals or partisans would attack a much larger group (2000+) of POWs for fear of being completely overwhelmed and killed themselves. Was LGG part of this advanced recce party?
I don't believe for one minute that they were shot, Their injuries are not consistant with gunshot wounds at all. As mentioned elsewhere, there is clear evidence of blunt force trauma to all victims.

Time of day

Going on the shadows and the time of year, direction of the road, I would say the shots of LGG were taken at 1:30 – 2:00pm GMT, so it would be a good guess that LGG got her beating 12:30 – ish.

This is my first ever post on here, so I hope I'm not stating the obvious.
Wissen durch den Austausch !

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 19 Feb 2016, 22:15

Welcome to the thread Neil_UK.

Neil_UK

Post by Neil_UK » 19 Feb 2016, 23:35

Thankyou Ignacio! :D

Just a couple of edited photos which I think proves the location of LGG's location. Do you guys (and girls) agree?

Neil_UK

Post by Neil_UK » 20 Feb 2016, 00:32

Oh! No idea where the photos dissappeared off to!!

Return to “Women in the Reich”