Marlene von Exner

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
cefimovich

Marlene von Exner

Post by cefimovich » 21 Jan 2007, 04:30

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. Hitler's Dietician, Marlene von Exner, actually kept a notebook which was left in the care of a very young Dutch student at the Eppinger Clinic. The book was eventually found by the Americans. Has anyone ever found out what happened to that notebook?

I'm actually writing this post for the woman who was a medical student at the clinic. She was given the notebook when the Russians came into Vienna because she was a Dutch national. The notebook was hidden for awhile in the coal in the basement of a boarding house used by the medical students. When the Americans came, the soldiers started hiding their cigarettes in the coal. The notebook was then wrapped in a rubber raincoat and buried under a pinetree. The notebook was eventually found by the American's and the student was questioned and released. She is still very curious about whether or not the notebook is still in existance.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 21 Jan 2007, 10:19

Hello cefimovich,

Fascinating account!

I'm personally baffled by some of the details:
cefimovich wrote: When the Americans came, the soldiers started hiding their cigarettes in the coal. The notebook was then wrapped in a rubber raincoat and buried under a pinetree.
But I'm going to move your question to the NSDAP, Party, and Government section, where I think you'll be more likely to get information.

Best,
~Vikki

cefimovich

Von Eckner

Post by cefimovich » 21 Jan 2007, 18:11

I just called her on the telephone and asked her about the cigarettes. She said that the GIs were stealing cigarettes from a supply center and hoarding them in the basement of the boarding house. I asked her if they were selling them and she said "no, they just like to smoke and wanted to have more than they were supposed to have". She also said that the notebook was discovered because the GIs were trying to bury other things they had taken from the supply center under the same pinetree where she had hidden the notebook.

She was in her early 20s at the time she was studying/working at the Eppinger Clinic and has some very fascinating (and often poignant) stories to tell about what was happening in Vienna during those times. I've been hearing about this notebook for at least 10 years (since I first met this woman). Supposedly the notebook contains technical information as well as anecdotes about Hitler, and Von Eckner's interactions with his staff. After hearing for the 50th time that "I will write a letter to the NY Times and ask if anyone has seen this notebook", I told her I would use the internet to help her with her search. [Again, my apologies if this is not the appropriate forum]

Denisbooks

Re: Marlene von Exner

Post by Denisbooks » 19 Aug 2009, 14:37

Hi
I would be surprised if you have found what you were looking for two years ago : the notebook from the clinic in Vienna.
I'm doing some research on the staff of the Eppinger Clinic. Do you think you could put me in touch with this Dutch physician, on behalf of whom you posted on the forum ?

Edgar Dahl

Post by Edgar Dahl » 20 May 2011, 21:55

I am new here. Can anyone tell me how I can get some information on Marlene von Exner? I would like to know what happened to her after leaving the "Wolfsschanze": Has she survived the war? Has she ever published anything about her time at the Hauptquartier? And has Hitler indeed, as Traudl Junge claims, given her protection?

I'm grateful for any piece of information.

With best wishes from Germany

Edgar Dahl

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 22 May 2011, 22:58

Hello Edgar Dahl,
:welcome:

From Junge & Müller (2002, p.224):

Helene Marie 'Marlene' von Exner

* Vienna Apr 16, 1917
training as dietician at the University of Vienna
Sept 1942 - Jul 1943 diet cook for Field Marshal Antonescu in Bucharest
Jul 1943 - May 8, 1944 diet cook for Hitler

Exner was still alive in 1995 as a correspondence between her and historian Brigitte Hamann about Hitler's musical taste at the Wolfsschanze shows (Hamann, 2002, p.431). Since then I've not heard anything about her death. And meanwhile anybody who once met Hitler is a celebrity in its own right, so it should have been in the news.
Obviously her diets are working to some degree.

References:

Hamann, Brigitte
Winifred Wagner oder Hitlers Bayreuth
Piper Verlag; Munich; 2002

Junge, Traudl; Müller, Melissa
Bis zur letzten Stunde
License edition by Buch u. Medien Vertrieb; o.O.; 2002

Best regards
Torsten

seabass

Post by seabass » 12 Jul 2011, 03:30

Hi, Edgar. Have you learned anything more about von Exner? I've been researching her, as well, but have found precious little information about her post-war years. Let me know if you've found anything out that you can pass on.

Edgar Dahl wrote:I am new here. Can anyone tell me how I can get some information on Marlene von Exner? I would like to know what happened to her after leaving the "Wolfsschanze": Has she survived the war? Has she ever published anything about her time at the Hauptquartier? And has Hitler indeed, as Traudl Junge claims, given her protection?

I'm grateful for any piece of information.

With best wishes from Germany

Edgar Dahl

Skyderick

Post by Skyderick » 18 Jun 2014, 22:53

Panzerkampfwagen wrote:
Ahf wrote:Mr. Holmes:

I don’t remember her name but she was a friend of Traudl Junge and she briefly discusses the incident in her autobiography. There is a photo of her in the book, too. I vaguely remember that the woman left Hitler’s entourage to get married to a SS officer and that is when they discovered her Jewish roots. Bormann was called on to intercede on her behalf and it failed. Again, I’m going by memory here. I’m sure someone has the book handy and can quickly look it up.
Her name is Marlene Von Exner. She was from Vienna and Hitler's dietician. Hitler fired her from service and said that she was welcome back after 6 months, once she and her family were aryanized, and then she was welcome any time at the Berghof. Obviously, the Nazis had this policy of descendants of jewish blood who were important to the Reich were aryanized. Can i know more about this process and what it involves?
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=30

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 10 Sep 2017, 01:50

Panzerkampfwagen wrote:
Ahf wrote:Mr. Holmes:

I don’t remember her name but she was a friend of Traudl Junge and she briefly discusses the incident in her autobiography. There is a photo of her in the book, too. I vaguely remember that the woman left Hitler’s entourage to get married to a SS officer and that is when they discovered her Jewish roots. Bormann was called on to intercede on her behalf and it failed. Again, I’m going by memory here. I’m sure someone has the book handy and can quickly look it up.
Her name is Marlene Von Exner. She was from Vienna and Hitler's dietician. Hitler fired her from service and said that she was welcome back after 6 months, once she and her family were aryanized, and then she was welcome any time at the Berghof. Obviously, the Nazis had this policy of descendants of jewish blood who were important to the Reich were aryanized. Can i know more about this process and what it involves?
Marlene von Exner (Marie Helene aka Marlene) worked as dietitian for Hitler.

Read Gertraud Junge (Gertraud aka Traudl) Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary p.117-118 https://books.google.fr/books?id=ie1Fsn ... =PA117&dq=

Marlene fell in love with Hitler' SS adjutant Fritz Darges. But she could not marry him since SS found that her family had some jewish ancestry... So she lost her job too... Hitler was friendly with her explaining he could not make exceptions, but that the would aryanize her and her family so they would not be annoyed anymore... She just had to leave. So she came back in Vienna. Hitler ordered Bormann to aryanize her family. But since Marlene (who was a beautiful young woman) had refused Borman's sexual advances before, Borman didnt obey Hitler's orders. So her family was persecuted for months : they all lost thier jobs. Marlene von Exener was still in contact with Traudl Junge, and she sent her a letter describing what arrived to her family...
Traudl Junge, who was there when Hitler ordered Bormann to aryanize Exner's family, brought the letter to Hitler himself... he became enraged and called Borman for explanations. Borman got a telling-off. Marlene's family was then aryanized. But this was the end of the war, and 4 weeks after that, the Allies took Vienna... Maybe it would have been better for them not to complain about the 'disaryanisation' !

She has her article on wiki.de https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helene_von_Exner

About Fritz Darges viewtopic.php?f=38&t=54344

Return to “Women in the Reich”