Henriette von Schirach

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Bernd R

Henriette von Schirach

Post by Bernd R » 11 Apr 2008, 19:06

Hi all,

I'm looking for the family relations of Henriette von Schirach.

The research on Oberstleutnant Leopold von Münchow, here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=136600 did bring up a possible relationsship of these two persons.
(...] his niece [...]
The background (outstanding story of famous Sally Perel who was "Hitlerjunge Salomon")
"Surviving in fear" - Four Jews describe their time at the Volkswagen Works from 1943 to 1945 , For Volkswagen AG Corporate History Department, Wolfsburg 2005
http://www.volkswagen-environment.de/_d ... 11engl.pdf
[pages 70/71]

What's on page 71 [by Sally Perel] of the Volkswagen compilation is really interesting :
"[...] I was told by some of the other former officers [was] that a niece of Captain von Münchow who wanted to adopt me after the war, had spoken up for me. Münchow owned a lot of land in Pommern near Stettin, and his niece was Henriette von Schirach, the wife of Baldur von Schirach, the highest ranking leader in the hitler youth."
Henriette von Schirach was the daughter of Heinrich Hoffmann (Hitler's photographer) and the actrice Therese "Nelly" Baumann.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henriette_von_Schirach

That would mean, that the Hauptmann von Münchow, connected to Sally Perel (who lives in Israel), is related to Heinrich Hoffmann !!??
Thanks for any input
Bernd

Moltke d. J.

Re: Henriette von Schirach

Post by Moltke d. J. » 07 May 2008, 18:49

Hi Bernd,

some other Münchows might fit too. I would go for

Ernst Franz Karl Gustav Joachim, *Charlottenburg bei Berlin 6.4.1900, + Lübeck 20.11.1974, auf Gotzkau und Richenwalde, Kr. Schlochau, Landwirt, Obstlt. d. Res.

If you go to http://www.schlochau.de/cms/index.php?o ... &Itemid=52 and scroll down to 'Richenwalde' you'll see that Landwirt is an understatement. As to his connection to Henriette I'm completely at a loss, as he was a single child (Leopold too, btw.). Anyway, this is just a guess, so why don't you just visit http://www.von-muenchow.org and ask?

Moltke d. J.

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 13 May 2008, 13:15

Moltke d. J.,

sorry for late reply, thanks !
Yes, this is another big "Landjunker". The whole story in it's known fragments so far really is remarkable. More confusion if it would be Joachim von Münchow as the pic of von Münchow in Russia which is linked over in the Leopold von Münchow thread surely has resemblance with Leopold.

Weeks ago I asked via the email provided on the Geschlechtsverband homepage both for Leopold's career and time in Budapest and about the estimated relationship to Henriette von Schirach. Unfortunately I didn't get a response.
Always a bit disappointing to see people or organisations maintaining websites but practizing no communication..

regards, Bernd

Erikos

Post by Erikos » 06 Sep 2008, 04:27

Hi,
May I use this thread to inquire about Henriette von Schirach's mother, Therese 'Nelly' Hoffmann, born Baumann? Does anyone know her exact day of death (in 1928) and also cause of death?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Erikos

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 07 Sep 2008, 20:18

Can anyone post a few good photographs of Henriette Von Schirach? I've read she was a rather pretty woman but the photos I've seen of her are small or don't show her that well. Her marriage to Baldur was unhappy although she tried the best she could (Baldur was very vain, selfish, and had his head in the clouds and not on his family).

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 07 Sep 2008, 21:10

J. Duncan,

I started an attempt to search in the Heinrich Hoffmann Bildarchiv of Bayerische Staatsbibliothek.
http://elektra.bsb-muenchen.de/servlet/ ... C5DE0868C0
with a search for Henriette you get 116 results, looks promising (bit small the pics, Yes). It is to expect that H. shot some nice photos of his daughter.

regards, Bernd

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 07 Sep 2008, 21:34

Thankyou very much for the link! Yes, she was very attractive. I read her memoirs "The Price of Glory" so the photos
of her with Colin Ross were very interesting. Ross was a German American propagandist who decided to live in Germany....he was very close to Henriette and was mentioned very frequently in her book...he committed suicide at her house at war's end.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 08 Sep 2008, 10:10

Bernd,
Very interesting database (Hoffmann Bildarchiv). I viewed all of the photos of Henriette and quite a few of them show her in rather photogenic poses, a few show her swimming in a lake and some show her in rather enticing photos in a bathing suit. Her memoirs are somewhat sad since she did her best to be a good wife and mother for Baldur but by all accounts he was a very selfish and self-centered individual and was a poor husband. She finally quit the marriage during Baldur's long imprisonment and Baldur got angry, even denying her the support for the children as a means to strike back at her for her what he felt was a "betrayal". She was quite selfish in her own way and admits to being thrilled by the trappings of power and money but she seems to have learned the lessons of the mistakes of the past and of her youth and actually had a zest for life. She died in 1993.

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 08 Sep 2008, 15:28

Hi J. Duncan,

Yes - the Hoffmann archive is a fine treasure.
Nearly forgot "my" topic here. Are the memoirs containing anything which enlightens the relationship matter questioned above ?
Niece of Leopold von Münchow ? Anything else about relatives which could help in understanding the above story ?

regards, Bernd

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 08 Sep 2008, 17:41

Yes...I will have to take a look in "The Price For Glory" for the information you requested. Sorry. I did not intend to divert or monopolise your topic. I got excited by the Hoffmann Bildarchiv. I'll let you know if anything turns up in there.

Geli

Post by Geli » 14 Sep 2008, 14:52

J. Duncan wrote:Can anyone post a few good photographs of Henriette Von Schirach? I've read she was a rather pretty woman but the photos I've seen of her are small or don't show her that well. Her marriage to Baldur was unhappy although she tried the best she could (Baldur was very vain, selfish, and had his head in the clouds and not on his family).
Hi, I tried scanning some photos from Women of the Third Reich by Anna Maria Sigmund, but but I can't seem to upload them because the file is too big. Perhaps these are the pictures you've already seen anyway? One is like a headshot, one is of her "wedding recpetion...at Hitler's apartment," and the last shows her "on the way to the internment camp" in June 1947.

Helge

Post by Helge » 19 May 2012, 12:25

J. Duncan wrote:Can anyone post a few good photographs of Henriette Von Schirach? I've read she was a rather pretty woman but the photos I've seen of her are small or don't show her that well. Her marriage to Baldur was unhappy although she tried the best she could (Baldur was very vain, selfish, and had his head in the clouds and not on his family).
Henriette von Schirach, Ehefrau des ehemaligen Reichsjugendfuehrers Baldur von Schirach, mit drei ihrer vier Kinder auf einem Spaziergang in Jachenau (Bayern). Wenige Stunden nachdem diese Aufnahme am 30. Mai 1947 gemacht wurde, wurde sie verhaftet und sieht nun der Verhandlung ihres Falles vor der Spruchkammer entgegen. Die Kinder, von links nach rechts, sind: Richard (5), Angelika (14) und Robert (8). (AP Photo) --- Mrs. Henriette von Schirach, wife of the former Hitler Youth leader Baldur von Schirach who was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment at the Nuremberg trials is shown here walking in the Bavarian village of Jachenau on May 30, 1947, with three of her four children: 5 year old Richard, 14 year old Angelika and 8 year old Robert,from left to right. A few hours after this photo was taken she was arrested and now awaits trial by a German denazification court as a major offender. (AP Photo)
Attachments
Henriette post war.jpg
Henriette post war.jpg (154.29 KiB) Viewed 7582 times
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Helge

Post by Helge » 21 May 2012, 07:44

HENRIETTE VON SCHIRACH (1913-1992). Wife of Nazi youth leader Baldur von Schirach. Photographed with their children, Angelika, Richard and Robert at their home in Jachenau in Bad Tölz, Germany, May 1947.

Credit: The Granger Collection, NYC
Attachments
Henriette.jpg
Henriette.jpg (142.37 KiB) Viewed 7512 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 13 Jun 2012, 19:33

Ariadne von Schirach (Born 1978 in Munich ) is the daughter of writer Richard von Schirach and granddaughter of Baldur von Schirach and his wife Henriette von Schirach
Attachments
ariadne-von-schirach.jpg
ariadne-von-schirach.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 7409 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 13 Jun 2012, 19:51

Ferdinand Von Schirach is the son of Robert von Schirach (1938-1980) and grandson of Baldur von Schirach
Attachments
Fwrdinand von Schirach.jpg
Fwrdinand von Schirach.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 7405 times
Last edited by Helge on 14 Jun 2012, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Women in the Reich”