Ilse Koch - photos

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Annelie

Re: Ilse Koch - photos

Post by Annelie » 05 Jan 2010, 14:03

(Her one eye reveals an apparent imbalance of the psyche seen in overstimulated or
over medicated individuals - respectively, to suggest just two parallels. )

Can one really judge a persons traits from one eye?

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 01:59

Attachments
img_p_018.065.jpg
Original-Bildlegende

Meine Schwester Gisela (geb. 26.4.1939), Mutti und Tante Erna (Schwester v. Papa), Ende Juli 1939
img_p_018.065.jpg (42.43 KiB) Viewed 17109 times
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 02:04

Attachments
img_p_018.097.jpg
Original-Bildlegende

Mit Papi im Zoo Buchenwald, Okt. 1939
img_p_018.097.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 17108 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 02:06

Attachments
img_p_018.112.jpg
Karl und Ilse Koch mit ihren Kindern Artwin und Gisela in einem Wohnraum der Villa Koch.
img_p_018.112.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 17108 times
Last edited by Helge on 26 Jun 2010, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 02:12

Attachments
img_p_018.167.jpg
Artwin Koch mit seiner Schwester Gisela und den Eltern vor dem Kommandanturgebäude.
img_p_018.167.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 17109 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 02:15

Attachments
img_p_018.166.jpg
Artwin Koch mit seinen Eltern vor dem Kommandanturgebäude
img_p_018.166.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 17111 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 02:18

Attachments
img_p_018.164.jpg
Artwin Koch mit seiner Schwester Gisela und den Eltern sowie einer namentlich nicht bekannten Person (hinter Ilse Koch) vor dem Kommandanturgebäude.
img_p_018.164.jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 17111 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 02:20

Attachments
img_p_018.163.jpg
Artwin Koch vor dem Kommandanturgebäude.
img_p_018.163.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 17111 times

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 02:22

Attachments
img_p_018.108.jpg
Lagerkommandant Karl Koch mit seinem Sohn Artwin auf dem Schoß.
img_p_018.108.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 17111 times

Svetlana Karlin

Post by Svetlana Karlin » 26 Jun 2010, 05:40

UnityMitford wrote:Anybody know what happened to her son Ewe that was born during her war crimes trial (and its been stated fathered by an American GI)? What a crazy situation to be born into. Your mother one of the most infamous nazi criminals, your father an American who was her captor! Where was this son raised? (Someone stated she wrote her son before her suicide (I assume the same son and not one with Koch) Did the american father acknowledge the son? I know many American servicemen got a bit of a hard time for bringing home german brides, but can you imagine fathering a son with the bitch of buchenwald? I would be very interested to know where this son is today and what happened to him. (Also if the American authorities did anything about a GI having sex with a captured German prisoner. Seems like a big no no.)
If to believe these sources:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan ... let-reader
http://persona.rin.ru/eng/view/f/0/3663 ... -ilse-koch (this one is a clumsy translation of a Russian text)

Ilse's youngest son Uwe was born in 1947. His father was supposedly a German soldier/inmate. Uwe was taken to a shelter in Bavaria and raised without the knowledge who his parents were. Eventually he found out who his mother was and visted her in jail at the age of 19.

Also, I stumbled upon a comment that Artwin Koch was so affected by his mother's attitude that he eventually committed a suicide: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... d95d67bd3b
Unfortunately, I have no subscription to this journal, and cannot access the article. I wonder if anyone can read it and quote the information here.
Scorched earth, scorched lives: http://svetlanakarlin.wordpress.com/

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 09:04

http://persona.rin.ru/eng/view/f/0/3663 ... -ilse-koch

Uwe Köhler

Nobody, perhaps, would have thought of buchenwald excuses executioners, but one man decided to do it in 1971. Uwe Kohler, taking mother's maiden name, tried in court to restore the name of the evil Ilse Koch ". He made a heartfelt letter to the newspaper The New York Times: "Since the review of the case in the courts of West Germany's virtually impossible, I thought that the Americans, my mother sentenced to life imprisonment, must know its true history".

Uwe was born in 1947. His appearance in the world he is obliged to random contact Ilse and former German soldier in prison Lavdebergskoy. The boy was immediately sent to one of the Bavarian shelters - the first of many that he will be held until the rise, while remaining in complete ignorance of who his parents are alive and whether they.

In eight years, Uwe accidentally saw his birth certificate with the name of the mother and remembered it. Eleven years later the young man read a newspaper headline: "No mercy Ilse Koch". Appointed by the State Guardian has confirmed that this is a mother Uwe.

At Christmas 1966 he first visited his mother in Lavdeberge. "For me it was not" bitch of Buchenwald, "- said Uwe. - I was glad to meet with the mother ". He continued to visit her mother until the moment when she killed herself.

Uwe said: "In a conversation with her, I always avoided mention of the war. She herself addressed this topic, denied his guilt and said she was the victim of treachery. I have not discussed these issues in more detail, as it was clear that this is painful for her. I wanted it had hoped that after 20 years in prison she was released. It's hard to imagine it during the war. I am not convinced that she was innocent. But I feel that the system of concentration camps, it took like many who could not or could not resist this. She was gripped by hysteria of time ".

Svetlana Karlin

Post by Svetlana Karlin » 26 Jun 2010, 10:33

A clarification: the Russian website http://persona.rin.ru/eng/view/f/0/3663 ... -ilse-koch quoted by Helge and me gives wrong/misspelled place names. It should be not Lavdeberge but Landsberg where Ilse was imprisoned at some point:
This time Ilse was being tried by her own countrymen, who grabbed her when the U.S. set her free from Landsberg prison last year. Ilse had served four years for crimes against allied inmates, got out when an Army review board concluded that although she "encouraged, aided and participated" in Buchenwald's operation, "there was no convincing evidence that she had selected inmates for extermination in order to secure tattooed skins, or that she possessed any articles made of human skin."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... z0rwmoDPLF
Source: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 84,00.html

Landsberg prison is mentioned on this site, as well:
http://www.scrapbookpages.com/dachauscr ... Koch4.html

According to the same source, Uwe Kohler was born in Aichach prison, and later visited his mother in Aichach prison, not in Lavdeberge:
Karl and Ilse Koch had two sons, including one who committed suicide after the war, allegedly because he couldn't live with the shame of the crimes of his parents. Ilse also had another son, the one that was conceived while she was in a prison cell at Dachau. He was born in the Aichach prison near Dachau where she was sent to serve her life sentence, and was immediately taken from her. At the age of 19, he found out that Ilse Koch was his mother, and he began visiting her regularly at Aichach. They got along well and Ilse wrote poetry for her son, according to Joseph Halow.

On one of his scheduled visits, Ilse's son was stunned to learn that she had killed herself the night before. Frau Koch never revealed the name of the man who impregnated her, except perhaps to her son, but if he knew, he never mentioned his father's name. Today the body of the "Bitch of Buchenwald" lies in an unmarked and untended grave in the cemetery at Aichach. According to Joseph Halow, author of "Innocent at Dachau," her son disappeared after learning of his mother's suicide.

Helge

Post by Helge » 26 Jun 2010, 11:31

Linkar thanks for the correction about the cemetery.
Uwe Köhler not disappeared after the death of his mother (1 september 1967):

Nobody, perhaps, would have thought of buchenwald excuses executioners, but one man decided to do it in 1971. Uwe Kohler, taking mother's maiden name, tried in court to restore the name of the evil Ilse Koch ". He made a heartfelt letter to the newspaper The New York Times: "Since the review of the case in the courts of West Germany's virtually impossible, I thought that the Americans, my mother sentenced to life imprisonment, must know its true history".

Helge

Svetlana Karlin

Post by Svetlana Karlin » 29 Jun 2010, 04:30

You are welcome, Helge.

Looks like Uwe knew a different Ilse Koch than Artwin and Gisela. By the way I wonder what happened to Gisela Koch.

Helge

Post by Helge » 09 Jul 2010, 13:16

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract. ... ler&st=cse

Ilse Koch's Posthumous Rehabilitation Sought by Son

By DAVID BINDER Special to The New York Times

May 7, 1971, Friday

Page 8, 920 words

BONN, May 3 -- "I want to clear my mother's name," said Uwe Kohler, who is 23 years old and makes a good living selling insurance.

With this news we can say that the child has not abandoned his mother after his suicide. Continue to say it, but we now know that it is not. Helge

Return to “Women in the Reich”