WEDDINGS - Here come the BRIDES!

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Larrister

Re: WEDDINGS - Here come the BRIDES!

Post by Larrister » 06 Apr 2009, 22:23

Alan: The medals and uniform seen worn my photos is only one reason why I collect wedding portraits which I stated in an earlier thread. I also like the plainer wedding photos and have some in my collection.

Here's a nice studio portrait.

Cheers
Larry
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 2757 times

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 06 Apr 2009, 22:32

Here's one which is a companion to one I posted earlier. The bride has changed clothes. This is a neat photo because it is informal and catches a moment of affection between the couple. Something one doesn't see often.

Cheers
Larry
Attachments
32.jpg
32.jpg (89.83 KiB) Viewed 2756 times

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 08 Apr 2009, 04:51

Certainly, Larry – I understood there is more than uniform study (Uniformenkunde) in the photos. And I am as interested as anyone else here in military uniform details, if not as knowledgeable about the subject as many of them. Also, I don’t doubt that the same people can be as equally taken with the photos themselves

I hadn’t meant to imply or point at anyone’s interests or disinterests -- quite the contrary, I share them all more or less :D However, I did look through the entire thread to see if my posted photo was already here. Moreover I had expected someone to take exception to the idea of a wartime German wedding photo thread. But that person is reportedly no longer here.

Published work does not always include as detailed a study of period wartime photos as I could wish sometimes. Among those that do are:
  • titles in Schiffer Military History’s backlist, which have often done so for various uniforms and equipment of both World Wars.

the excellent French magazine Militaria, which often ran photo features that closely examined the uniforms and weaponry in them. Some of the personal ones were from studios in occupied France. These photos of unknown German soldiers can draw the same kind of intrigue about their wartime lives and fates as the wedding photos here.
=============================

Fifteen years ago, when I was a laborer, my own wedding was as plainer-clothed and simple as those I admire among the photos. Since then I have been to a hedge-fund manager’s wedding reception where the hors d’oeuvres alone cost much more than the $600 for my entire wedding. But all other things being equal you always wish every new couple well -- in the good faith that they are right for each other. Consciously or not, we do the same with wedding portraits from history.

I haven’t seen wartime German portraits with kissing newlyweds before. Unfortunately for us, these photos naturally lose sight of their faces this way. Although it sure gains a lot in sentiment!

In a compromise of sorts, my favorite pose in these portraits is that where the newlyweds are looking at each other.

-- Alan

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 08 Apr 2009, 12:58

Hi Alan

No offense taken. :D

Most of my wedding portrait collection photos were taken during the war years. Sure they show nice uniforms and medals but it's the human aspect to the photos that interests me as well.

Most of the grooms had seen combat in one form or another as evidenced by their medals. At some time they have received leave (urlaub) to marry their sweethearts.

Their uniforms and medals are worn with pride, the bride's look lovely in their wedding attire.

Sometimes I think I can see a little sadness in their eyes. They both know that this happy occasion together could be their last.

When I look through my portrait and photo album collection I often wonder who of those young men made it home after the war.

Some of my albums contain death cards showing that some of them never made it.

Anyway, here's another portrait. The groom is sporting a PAB. The coronet headdress seems to have been popular in those days.

Cheers
Larry
Attachments
24.jpg
24.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 2669 times

Jeff McCulloch

Post by Jeff McCulloch » 08 Apr 2009, 13:03

An SS one-probably Austrian @ 1943.
Attachments
weddingSS.jpg
weddingSS.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 2659 times

Jeff McCulloch

Post by Jeff McCulloch » 08 Apr 2009, 13:05

and another:
Attachments
wedding13.jpg
wedding13.jpg (26.42 KiB) Viewed 2661 times

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 10 Apr 2009, 10:16

Another from my collection.
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 2565 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 10 Apr 2009, 18:16

More great photos, guys! I'm enjoying looking through them.

Larry, in the last photo, was the groom just awarded the EKII, or did he just get the EKI and it's hung on the buttonhole ribbon he was already wearing for the EKII?

Larrister wrote: Sometimes I think I can see a little sadness in their eyes. They both know that this happy occasion together could be their last.

When I look through my portrait and photo album collection I often wonder who of those young men made it home after the war.

Some of my albums contain death cards showing that some of them never made it.
I've often wondered the same thing about the women as well, given the bombing and other civilian casualties, especially toward the end of the war.

The groom in the last photo is wearing a solemn expression compared to the beaming faces of the bride and the older relatives, and I've noticed the same thing in some other photos. I always wonder whether it's because of the grooms' concern over the war--or whether, as with the old cliché, they're simply less thrilled about the wedding than the other people concerned.

Best,
~Vikki

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 10 Apr 2009, 23:26

Hi Vikki

There are only two types of photos where a soldier wears the EKII this way. When a soldier received the award the ribbon was placed through the button hole with the medal attached. If cameras were handy a few photos were taken.
I guess after that the award was either sent home or kept with the soldier's personal belongings. It would have been impractical to wear an award in combat which dangled from a soldier's uniform.
The ribbon was of course worn in the field.

The other type of photo where the EKII is worn on the ribbon is the studio or wedding portrait photo.

As for the solemn looks on the grooms' faces, I guess it's a combination of concern about their wives' and own fates, the outcome of the war and the fact in some cases that they probably thought they were signing their lives away.
One must remember that a lot of weddings were hastily arranged.

A lot of Germans lived in the occupied territories or in towns and cities close to the Russian advance and this must have put a large strain on all parties concerned.

Here's another portrait where the soldier is wearing his ordinary uniform (probably home on leave) and the EKII attached to its ribbon. The groom looks a bit pensive.

Cheers
Larry
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 2504 times

colt45

Post by colt45 » 12 Apr 2009, 02:03

Jeff McCulloch wrote:An SS one-probably Austrian @ 1943.
Great pic of an SS officer & Bride,, EXCELLENT! :D

colt45

Post by colt45 » 12 Apr 2009, 02:16

KARL ERNST looks like GORING & ROHM behind them? Image

Hubert

Post by Hubert » 12 Apr 2009, 11:17

Am I wrong here or is he a Blood-order-holder?

Nice and interesting pic, thanks for sharing!

Regards

Hubert

colt45

Post by colt45 » 12 Apr 2009, 14:08

Hubert wrote:
Am I wrong here or is he a Blood-order-holder?

Nice and interesting pic, thanks for sharing!

Regards

Hubert
looks like a Blood Order ,, and a HJ diamond badge?

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 13 Apr 2009, 01:16

Groom is wearing ribbon for EKII and the German Horse Riders Badge (Deutsches Reiterabzeichen).

Cheers
Larry
Attachments
25.jpg
25.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 2357 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 13 Apr 2009, 05:44

colt45 wrote:KARL ERNST looks like GORING & ROHM behind them? Image
Colt45, nice picture! Could you give us the source for it? If it's from your own collection you can of course just say that.

Best,
~Vikki

Return to “Women in the Reich”