1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
mars0367

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by mars0367 » 22 Jun 2015, 04:15

Peacenik wrote:
Why were the LGG and others told to sit in a row? One possibility is that they were to be questioned about whether they were SIS, I can't think of another reason.
My guess is that they are sitting in a row because they are together, and probably walked up the road together.

Haglund, recognising a good film shot when he saw one, asked the Lost German Girl to step back on the road, and took one shot with her hair down, and one shot with her hair up, at the end of which she shakes her head as if to say "thats enough".

This, I think, is the simplest and most logical, explanation.

Mars
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. - George Carlin RIP
So is the above statement true or not - Mars
Truth will out - Shakespeare

brick2

Post by brick2 » 22 Jun 2015, 04:58

fhafha wrote:Not exactly same dress. If u look carefully the pony tailed girl is wearing a black upper dress with a white part visible on right side. I thing she is civilian. Imo this group could not reach Ejpovice by the afternoon on foot.
Hi fhafha,
As we do not know exactly where this was filmed we cannot say when they would get to Ejpovice
There is a silver thing attached to her right top her hands are on her left shoulder and appear white.
Civilian females all wear dresses, she set off on her journey wearing trousers.
Imo she does not fit in with the rest of the group she is seen with.

I have been trying to identify the location for some time, with no luck, so I was hoping someone here might recognise it.

For some reason I can no longer post screnshots, perhaps someone else could?

Peacenik

Post by Peacenik » 22 Jun 2015, 10:42

I read every post here a year or two ago and am in the process of doing so again to refresh my somewhat sieve-like memory, so my apologies if someone has already mentioned the following:

To my mind, the LGG incident was a war crime, even if it was not the work of a regular military unit.

Should it not be officially investigated, even now? In recent years, old men accused of WW2 atrocities have faced courts, so there must be a case for a war crimes investigation here. The videos show a major crime took place. And a thorough investigation would have to include a search for possible survivors, such as the LGG and her friends.

One wonders how such an investigation might be sparked. Would a letter from a member of the public to the German, Czech or US governments possibly get the ball rolling in such a case? Or to the UN?

Better minds than mine contribute to this thread and hopefully have a view on this.

fhafha

Post by fhafha » 22 Jun 2015, 11:44

mars0367 wrote:
Peacenik wrote:
Why were the LGG and others told to sit in a row? One possibility is that they were to be questioned about whether they were SIS, I can't think of another reason.
My guess is that they are sitting in a row because they are together, and probably walked up the road together.

Haglund, recognising a good film shot when he saw one, asked the Lost German Girl to step back on the road, and took one shot with her hair down, and one shot with her hair up, at the end of which she shakes her head as if to say "thats enough".

This, I think, is the simplest and most logical, explanation.

Mars

This is quiet possible. But one thing disturb me with this possibility.

There are 2 lgg familly scenes. First scene only men sitting. Second scene one of the soldier standing and the lgg sitting is place. And the lgg sitted is healing her face wounds and her pants are up uncovering her legs.
Imo Second scene is after she is walking. So...why she did not clean her wounds before. So second scene is before she joined the group.
I think that the scene with men only is at the same time she is standing next to the road mark. As i explained it is exactly at the same place. Both scene have been shooted by two different camera teams.
Last edited by fhafha on 22 Jun 2015, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

fhafha

Post by fhafha » 22 Jun 2015, 11:47

Peacenik wrote:I read every post here a year or two ago and am in the process of doing so again to refresh my somewhat sieve-like memory, so my apologies if someone has already mentioned the following:

To my mind, the LGG incident was a war crime, even if it was not the work of a regular military unit.

Should it not be officially investigated, even now? In recent years, old men accused of WW2 atrocities have faced courts, so there must be a case for a war crimes investigation here. The videos show a major crime took place. And a thorough investigation would have to include a search for possible survivors, such as the LGG and her friends.

One wonders how such an investigation might be sparked. Would a letter from a member of the public to the German, Czech or US governments possibly get the ball rolling in such a case? Or to the UN?

Better minds than mine contribute to this thread and hopefully have a view on this.

Please have a look to the link i posted previous page about atricities in that area. The lgg event is a funny game compared to what happened.

Peacenik

Post by Peacenik » 22 Jun 2015, 13:02

[ quote] Please have a look to the link i posted previous page about atricities in that area. The lgg event is a funny game compared to what happened.[/quote]

Yes, I did read it. The brutality, as described, is as bad as anything Isis has done in recent times. I cannot comprehend how "civilised" people can act in such a way, even after the awful sufferings the war caused. After reading that, it's incredible to think any Germans survived at all. Murder on an almost unbelievable scale, often carried out with the utmost viciousness. Those we see in the marching columns, if they were able to return to Germany, would have been extremely fortunate to have survived.

The killings we became aware of through the LGG tapes were also terrible acts. I would be happy if the attackers were brought to account. Better justice for some than justice for none, I feel.

Peacenik

Post by Peacenik » 22 Jun 2015, 15:43

fhafha wrote:To Peacenik.

Some germans, might be ss, tried to escape. 8 to 26 , including civilians, where killed by US.
Is it certain that the German boy was killed by US troops and not by Czechs? Because the scene description (by Haglund?) uses the word ''murder'', which is a strange word to use about his fellow American soldiers if they shot the boy when they were just following orders.

The description follows: 50) MS as GIs look at murdered SS boy on road.

Peacenik

Post by Peacenik » 22 Jun 2015, 15:54

quote] There are 2 lgg familly scenes. [/quote]

In the scene where the men are sitting without LGG, something happens which surprises me. We think the group had been recently attacked, we see dead and dying nearby, we are sure killer bands of Czechs must be in the general vicinity and we know the Russians must be not too far away. If I was one of these Germans I would be horrified, in shock at what had happened and fearful that the Czechs were going to get me. Yet one of these men pulls out a comb and starts combing his hair? Why would you begin to groom yourself in such a situation? Bizarre!

Peacenik

Post by Peacenik » 22 Jun 2015, 16:32

brick2 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgSl4l ... 90E24971E8
at 8:57 to 9:00
You can see a young blonde woman wearing a black top and trousers , she has her hair tied back in a pony tail and is carying what appears to be an army kit bag.
Where is this location
For some reason I can no longer post screenshots, perhaps someone else could?
Attachments
germanz.jpg
Woman in question left, rear.
germanz.jpg (162.47 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 22 Jun 2015, 20:51

Too blurred a picture to tell - I would think probably not. Difficult to construct a case based on a shot of that quality.

Another Q : is LGG wearing a bra on the vid ? I suspect not....

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 22 Jun 2015, 20:55

Dear Mars0367

I fully share your comment

cheers

Ignacio

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 22 Jun 2015, 21:17

The killings we became aware of through the LGG tapes were also terrible acts. I would be happy if the attackers were brought to account. Better justice for some than justice for none, I feel
That won't happen. The Czech president Benes introduced a law in 1946 which granted an amnesty for acts against Germans which would otherwise have been judged to be crimes. The whole thing was discussed extensively at the time of the proposed Czech accession to the EU, ie whether these laws and others relating to the confiscation of German property were compatible with EU principles on human rights and should be revoked as a condition for accession. In the end that did not happen - the German govt did not push the point.

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 22 Jun 2015, 23:14

Is it certain that the German boy was killed by US troops and not by Czechs? Because the scene description (by Haglund?) uses the word ''murder'', which is a strange word to use about his fellow American soldiers if they shot the boy when they were just following orders.

The description follows: 50) MS as GIs look at murdered SS boy on road.
As discussed already in forum, you cannot assume that Haglund wrote the shot sheet. The descriptions seem to come from someone who simply watched the film later, because they do not include anything that would be exclusive to someone who witnessed the events on the ground. There is as much evidence for the dead boy being SS as LGG being an "SS girl" - i.e. none. The insignia on his jacket is Heer for example.

brick2

Post by brick2 » 23 Jun 2015, 00:29

Thanks for the screen shots Peacenik

Yes it is difficult analysing blurry old film clips but not impossible.
The item on her right chest appears metallic I am curious as to what it is.

DD66

Post by DD66 » 23 Jun 2015, 01:55

In the LGG film there appear to be very few people around, it's been the general opinion on this thread that LGG and co. were early arrivals, before the main group.
it also appears that her group were unarmed (where were they disarmed?), also I think their attackers didn't have firearms.
The injuries on the Germans look like they were mostly from blunt instruments, although there are one or two that look like they were attacked with an axe or meat cleaver.
I suspect that the Germans were attacked along the road through the forest and were chased towards Ejpovice, being picked off along the road.
I wonder if LGG survived because she's female and her attackers backed off, not wanting to kill a woman, although she did take quite a beating, her hands look badly swollen from defending herself.
I noted that there were very few vehicles. LGG and co. and the local people all on foot and quite a distance from Ejpovice and Rokycany.
A lot of this corresponds with the events in the Ejpovice chronicles, except that the SS who were on the run would have been armed.
Were the locals out looking for the SS and LGG and co. happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or were they part of the SS unit?
Re. the shot sheet. Although I don't think those notes were written by Haglund or his team, I do still believe that there could be a written account somewhere.
The crew spent considerable time filming the dead, dying and injured. They obviously wanted to record (in some detail) the events of that day. I think at least one of them would have written some sort of report of what happened.
I know that senior officers in the British army kept a written record of the day to day goings on, I wonder if the US army did the same.

Return to “Women in the Reich”