1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
fhafha

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by fhafha » 17 Aug 2015, 16:30

history1 wrote:
Münchausen wrote:Hello, all above,
I was able to discuss with my great-uncle, Alsatian born in 1928 and pushed into Waffen-SS in 1944 [...]
If You have any particular questions, I shall ask him about it and answer you later. [...]
Hi Münchhausen,

can you please ask your relative how/why he ended up near Rokycany? And who´s the mentioned "Weiddinger"?
Thanks in advance.
Ref. the question "which German dialect the LGG spoke"? Who would be able to say that with certitude and correct?

He is the last commanding officer for Der Fuhrer SS regt. You can see him in the footage following the lgg one taken on the 9th of may. He is talking and joking with Hanglud the us cameraman. The scene is about 5 miles East of Rokycany.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 17 Aug 2015, 17:49

Then it´s " Obersturmbannführer Otto Weidinger" and not "Weiddinger", fhafha ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Weidinger

fhafha

Post by fhafha » 17 Aug 2015, 18:49

are u kidding me ? Alsacian translation may be.

Mauser K98k

Post by Mauser K98k » 17 Aug 2015, 21:54

billdi wrote:Great news!
Could your great-uncle maybe also tell you what german dialect she spoke with him, so we could localize the region she comes from.
Take it from an old guy, remembering details like that 70 years later is probably not going to happen.

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 18 Aug 2015, 15:18

Dear Forum,

Excersice of free association:

Baron Munchausen /ˈmʌn.tʃaʊ.zən/[1][a] is a fictional German nobleman in literature and film, loosely based on a real baron, Hieronymus Karl Friedrich, Freiherr von Münchhausen (German pronunciation: [ˈmʏnç(h)aʊzən]; 11 May 1720 – 22 February 1797).

The real-life Münchhausen became a minor celebrity for telling outrageous tall tales based on his military service in the Russo-Turkish War. After hearing some of Münchhausen's stories, the writer Rudolf Erich Raspe adapted them anonymously into literary form, first as German magazine pieces and later in an English-language volume about a fictional "Baron Munchausen". The book was soon translated into German and expanded by the poet Gottfried August Bürger. The real-life Münchhausen was deeply upset at the development of a fictional character bearing his name.

The fictional Baron's exploits, narrated by himself, focus on his impossible achievements as a sportsman, soldier, and traveler, such as riding on a cannonball and traveling to the Moon. Raspe's book was a major international success, and versions of the fictional Baron have appeared on stage, screen, radio, and television; though the Baron Munchausen stories are no longer well-known in English-speaking countries, they are still popular in continental Europe. The character has inspired numerous memorials, and several medical conditions and other concepts are named after him, including Munchausen syndrome, the Münchhausen trilemma, and Munchausen numbers.

Cheers

Münchausen

Post by Münchausen » 18 Aug 2015, 16:49

fhafha wrote:
history1 wrote:
Münchausen wrote:Hello, all above,
I was able to discuss with my great-uncle, Alsatian born in 1928 and pushed into Waffen-SS in 1944 [...]
If You have any particular questions, I shall ask him about it and answer you later. [...]
Hi Münchhausen,

can you please ask your relative how/why he ended up near Rokycany? And who´s the mentioned "Weiddinger"?
Thanks in advance.
Ref. the question "which German dialect the LGG spoke"? Who would be able to say that with certitude and correct?

He is the last commanding officer for Der Fuhrer SS regt. You can see him in the footage following the lgg one taken on the 9th of may. He is talking and joking with Hanglud the us cameraman. The scene is about 5 miles East of Rokycany.

He belonged to the Aufklärungsabteilung unit which got in touch with the Americans due to the protocol of surrender suited between Otto Weidinger and the 16th Armored Division. PC. When getting in touch, He already restarted and went back with a hundred of American soldiers in the direction of Prague. On the outskirts of the town, an important convoy of vehicles was waiting: the Americans supervised the German convoy which set off. There were no heavy armored cars in this convoy because Weidinger gave the order to sabotage it before so that it didn't fall in the hands of Russians. My relative thus made the same travel a second time and surrender.

I asked him if he remembered having crossed Ejpovice. He answered me that 70 years later, he had forgotten many matters of minor importance but remembered the main part. During his second course, he didn’t see again the LGG, but, according to him, there were much more people walking on the road. About the SS who accompanied the LGG, he added that these SS " Böhmen " were survivors of "Kampfgruppe Wallenstein" and that, having been attacked at the same time by the Russians and the Americans - who had refused to allow them crossing the demarcation line, they were discouraged enough. It would be necessary to verify this, but he remembers as well as the commander of the Kampfgruppe, who was accompanied with his wife and children committed suicide and killed all his family in order to not surrender to the Russians.

My great-uncle would have been able to enjoy preferential treatment on behalf of the Americans, having been enlisted by strength: he refused at first by respect for his companions and found himself in a POW camp where they were rather badly treated, went hungry and had to survive in bad meteorological conditions during a month. Then, he was transferred in South-Germany to French military authorities who again questioned him, and then he was again interned in another camp in Bavaria in which he stayed two months before being released in September1945.

I asked my relative if he had been able to notice that the LGG had a particular German accent: he told me again that He was sure that she was from Sudetenland.

PS: I chose the "Münchausen" Avatar because I love the T. Gillian film!

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 18 Aug 2015, 17:03

He is the last commanding officer for Der Fuhrer SS regt. You can see him in the footage following the lgg one taken on the 9th of may. He is talking and joking with Hanglud the us cameraman. The scene is about 5 miles East of Rokycany
fafha, the guy talking and joking with Haglund is not Weidinger. It is Michael Kneissl, as I identified earlier in the forum:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... l#p1924923

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 18 Aug 2015, 17:26

He belonged to the Aufklärungsabteilung unit which got in touch with the Americans due to the protocol of surrender suited between Otto Weidinger and the 16th Armored Division. PC.
That is interesting. Neither Weidinger's book ("Comrades to the End"), nor any American source that I have seen makes reference to any such agreement between the 16th Armoured Division and Weidinger. Maybe we were not meant to know....

If such an agreement had been made, then it would explain why in the 9th May vid, east of Rokycany, with Kneissl and Co, it appears that the American troops are receiving the German columns, "as if expected".

So maybe there is something in the Münchausen story....

Münchausen

Post by Münchausen » 18 Aug 2015, 17:38

ignacioosacar wrote:Dear Forum,

Excersice of free association:

Baron Munchausen /ˈmʌn.tʃaʊ.zən/[1][a] is a fictional German nobleman in literature and film, loosely based on a real baron, Hieronymus Karl Friedrich, Freiherr von Münchhausen (German pronunciation: [ˈmʏnç(h)aʊzən]; 11 May 1720 – 22 February 1797).

The real-life Münchhausen became a minor celebrity for telling outrageous tall tales based on his military service in the Russo-Turkish War. After hearing some of Münchhausen's stories, the writer Rudolf Erich Raspe adapted them anonymously into literary form, first as German magazine pieces and later in an English-language volume about a fictional "Baron Munchausen". The book was soon translated into German and expanded by the poet Gottfried August Bürger. The real-life Münchhausen was deeply upset at the development of a fictional character bearing his name.

The fictional Baron's exploits, narrated by himself, focus on his impossible achievements as a sportsman, soldier, and traveler, such as riding on a cannonball and traveling to the Moon. Raspe's book was a major international success, and versions of the fictional Baron have appeared on stage, screen, radio, and television; though the Baron Munchausen stories are no longer well-known in English-speaking countries, they are still popular in continental Europe. The character has inspired numerous memorials, and several medical conditions and other concepts are named after him, including Munchausen syndrome, the Münchhausen trilemma, and Munchausen numbers.

Cheers
What am I to make of that remark, Ignacioosacar?

B.R

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 18 Aug 2015, 17:41

I love Hans Albers interpretation of Baron of Munchausen

fhafha

Post by fhafha » 18 Aug 2015, 18:51

FF7_12 wrote:
He is the last commanding officer for Der Fuhrer SS regt. You can see him in the footage following the lgg one taken on the 9th of may. He is talking and joking with Hanglud the us cameraman. The scene is about 5 miles East of Rokycany
fafha, the guy talking and joking with Haglund is not Weidinger. It is Michael Kneissl, as I identified earlier in the forum:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... l#p1924923

Ok thx

billdi

Post by billdi » 18 Aug 2015, 20:52

forgive us Mûnchausen for being "doubting Thomas", but we have been already deceived by fake stories on this forum.
The fact you replied shows undoubtedly good intentions from your side

billdi

Post by billdi » 18 Aug 2015, 23:57

But dear Münchausen,

could you be so kind as to give us the name of your great uncle and his phonenumber, so I can contact him myself
That would take all doubts away

regards

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 19 Aug 2015, 14:09

could you be so kind as to give us the name of your great uncle and his phone number, so I can contact him myself
That would take all doubts away
That is probably not reasonable to expect. We all seem to be using aliases of some kind on this forum...why should Münchausen "out" an elderly relative ?

You're right that we have had our fair share of "phonies" or just wishful thinkers. For example, the forum was gripped by the "LGG grandson" a while back, and compared with that, Münchhausen uncle's story includes some details which deserve some consideration and can be "probed".

Araceli

Post by Araceli » 19 Aug 2015, 16:23

Hello everyone, my name is Araceli, from Argentina, first I confess i do not speak English so fluently, even another language, my language is Spanish, so I apologize all of you if you do not understand what I say, I use the translator google, but sometimes is mistranslated, I understand better than I speak. I registered here to follow this issue and to share views and information about it "Lost german girl", and someday know who she was or who she is, if she's still alive, her name, what happened to her that day, before, during and after those days. I was watching videos on internet about World War 2 and a video brought me to another video and this girl caught my attention as you all, i can not explain why, I just felt sorry for her, desperation and curiosity, curiosity more than anything, that's how I started to read data about her and got here, I have read all the pages here,I followed every data about lgg and all of you went far in this topic. My theory is not very different from those mentioned here, but my intuition tells me that she belonged to a unit of Wehrmacht or Waffen SS and that day, may 8 or 9, she was placed as a prisoner with other more germans . According to information that I have read here, during the the german surrender week, there was a struggle between Germans and partisans, correct ? partisans killed some germans, many others injured, then came the americans and there were also armed clashes, correct me if I'm wrong, it is difficult to know exactly what happened and more specifically what happened to her that day, in the vídeo of Haglund some germans are dead and wounded, if it was the group of her, that explains why she was hurt on his face, maybe they tried to escape and the americans caught them ?, in a page on this topic I read that some germans tried to escape and many were killed and wounded. I visited the websites mentioned here, every comment, I could understand some things, but not others and so confused me. On the other hand I feel that in the Haglund's videos, perhaps all scenes can be mixed without chronological order? anyway , all of you went far in this story, you deduced the exact place where it was recorded lgg, the cities, we just need people who lived those moments, those events, difficult thing, but i think it is not impossible to know who she was, she should have family, somewhere she must be registered, maybe this girl needs to be spread on German television or in Europe to know if anyone knows of it, i don't know, maybe i ask too. I was reading a webpage http://www.germanvictims.com/2013/06/05 ... -soldiers/ , there is a video that made me very sad, the video called "Einsenhower's Video - Rhine Meadows German POW Death Camps" very sad ... maybe LGG ended up in some prison camp? I do not want that , but it happened to thousands and thousands of germans, so sad, very sad
Last edited by Araceli on 19 Aug 2015, 20:17, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Women in the Reich”