1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Geoff Walden

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by Geoff Walden » 22 Sep 2016, 00:21

equirhodont wrote:Hi boys,
does anybony know, who´s keeping the publishing rights to this film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWX6tPMocw
I want to publish some photos of Michael Kneissl in my prepared book on his Totenkopfring, which was found in Ejpovice near Pilsen.
Thanks,
Martin
The YouTube post says the film is in the public domain. I believe the source is the U.S. Army Signal Corps Collection in the U.S. National Archives, and if so, yes, these films are in the public domain (just cite US NARA). Would love to read the story of the finding and identification of this ring!

equirhodont

Post by equirhodont » 29 Sep 2016, 19:19

Thanks a lot! ;)

equirhodont

Post by equirhodont » 29 Sep 2016, 19:24

Hi Boys,
few days ago I bought this convolute. All items were dug in one place near Ejpovice in 1999.
FF7_12 wrote:The point of the holding camps like Ejpovice was so the POWs could be screened and sent back to the Russians or Czechs if appropriate. There would be no point sending them over to the Rheinwiesenlager.

Which brings me on to another topic. I think I have identified the Obersturmbannführer that Haglund was talking to on 9th May (see a few pages back on this thread). From the film at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSAWP8vz-l4

Kneissl 9 May 45.jpg
Michael Kneissl, who was sent back to the Czechs and executed for war crimes in 1947.

At http://www.pamatnik-terezin.cz/?dl_id=456 there is some detail on his career history and wartime activities, and the picture below from the Bundesarchiv which I reckon must be from 1933, given his insignia and career path. The doc is in Czech but google translate gives one the gist of it and there are some summary passages in English.

Kneissl Bundesarchiv_2.png
I think if you take account of a 12 year age difference there is a reasonable similarity.

The Czech doc says that he was in the column that left Prague and arrived at the Ejpovice camp on 9th May 1945. So time and place match.

Cheers

John ("FF7_12")
Attachments
ring.jpg
konvolut.jpg

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 30 Sep 2016, 21:36

Wow!
Dug up? Possibly it was Kneißel himself who tried to hide them. Apparently the American guards at the Ejpovice camp pilfered from the POWs everything that would qualify as a souvenir. Wrist watches, medals, insignia, caps, belts, the lot.
In the vid Kneißel starts with his SS cap on, but he's bareheaded at the end of it...

fkt55

Post by fkt55 » 02 Oct 2016, 00:37

8O 8O 8O The girl behind the truck. (15:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWX6tPMocw

:o :o
Attachments
lostgg.PNG

Danno

Post by Danno » 04 Oct 2016, 10:25

equirhodont wrote:Hi Boys,
few days ago I bought this convolute. All items were dug in one place near Ejpovice in 1999.
FF7_12 wrote:The point of the holding camps like Ejpovice was so the POWs could be screened and sent back to the Russians or Czechs if appropriate. There would be no point sending them over to the Rheinwiesenlager.

Which brings me on to another topic. I think I have identified the Obersturmbannführer that Haglund was talking to on 9th May (see a few pages back on this thread). From the film at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSAWP8vz-l4

Kneissl 9 May 45.jpg
Michael Kneissl, who was sent back to the Czechs and executed for war crimes in 1947.

At http://www.pamatnik-terezin.cz/?dl_id=456 there is some detail on his career history and wartime activities, and the picture below from the Bundesarchiv which I reckon must be from 1933, given his insignia and career path. The doc is in Czech but google translate gives one the gist of it and there are some summary passages in English.

Kneissl Bundesarchiv_2.png
I think if you take account of a 12 year age difference there is a reasonable similarity.

The Czech doc says that he was in the column that left Prague and arrived at the Ejpovice camp on 9th May 1945. So time and place match.

Cheers

John ("FF7_12")
Thats amazing. Thanks for sharing

Is this the same person at 5.26

Ring on finger?

Image[/URL]

Danno

Post by Danno » 04 Oct 2016, 12:13

Spotted this while looking at the footage. Similarity to LGG?

FF7_12

Post by FF7_12 » 04 Oct 2016, 13:51

this vid was filmed on 9th May, east of Rokycany.

LGG vid was on 8th May, several km to the west, so whether this girl bears a vague resemblance to LGG or not seems irrelevant to me.

hdarek

Post by hdarek » 08 Oct 2016, 03:47

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for posting when I have nothing to add, just I have been following this thread since the beginning and some have suggested recently to close the thread. I would hope that would never happen as there are few things on the internet
that I have truly enjoyed as much as I have enjoyed being with all of you on here! Its rare to see such team work!
Will we find LGG, only God knows, but I cant imagine giving up! Wonder if ignacioosacar had any idea what he was
starting with his first post on page 1?

Cheers :D

Danno

Post by Danno » 09 Oct 2016, 22:15

FF7_12 wrote:this vid was filmed on 9th May, east of Rokycany.

LGG vid was on 8th May, several km to the west, so whether this girl bears a vague resemblance to LGG or not seems irrelevant to me.
Just observations. Keeping the thread alive!

Il1935

Post by Il1935 » 10 Oct 2016, 00:09

fhafha wrote:Dear all,

I made a new map summarize events east of Ejpovice on the 8th of may 45 in the afternoon. This will participate too explain a new idea I am working on. The scene describ on the map are part of the original footage from Spielberg archives. And they start on the East around 2 PM running to the West around 4 Pm (before moving to Ejpovice).

East Ejpovice 8 may 45.jpg

1945 aerial picture of the area

carte LGG 1945 .jpg
I am a newcomer to this thread which I have been following for some time now.
At this time I can contribute two clarifications which might help further light shedding, namely:
1. A still I DL frrom one of the movies referred to some 20 - 30 pages back (pp. 70 - 80), It shows a woman soldier clad in slacks and a black T shirt similar to LGG's.
2. A google earth pic. of the area where LGG is seen together with 6-7 others. The white patch seen there (and also in fhafha's photo) is a part of an abandoned road which ran paralel to the modern one. The soil where a road had been is compacted, can't hold water and can't grow plants.
Attachments
parallel road.JPG
parallel road north of 605
lgg.JPG
"LGG-like attire"
lgg1.JPG
"LGG-like attire"

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 10 Oct 2016, 17:00

Dear hdarek,

No, really no. I just wanted to practice all-sources investigation collection skills and expert analysists team work, taking advantage of modern state-of-the-art technology. It would have been impossible to do this in my younger days. I am quite astonished by the response it has had through these years. Currently it is rather improbable to make a significant contribution to this thread if you have not read all posts from the start. It is still very thrilling for me.

Cheers

stoneagegixer

Post by stoneagegixer » 13 Oct 2016, 01:42

Hey guys.
I was watching a lot of videos on you tube of the last days of the war. One of the comments there led me to this site and this topic. I do enjoy the topic as I've read about ww2 since I was about 10 years old. I was born in Czechoslovakia but my family escaped in 1983 into Austria. Now I live in Canada.
I'm from Strakonice which was a city liberated by the Americans with the Russians trying to do the same. The city was on the line too and all the Germans were trying to make it to the Americans . So the chaos that existed in Rokycany and Plzen was there too.
It was interesting watching one of your videos you guys posted...it was #8 in the sequence of videos. Why? Because when I showed my mom, she recognized her grandmother's apartment as well as some people that were welcoming Patton. My aunt also remembered the Americans and Russians dancing together in front of the property. Did you guys notice the Russian soldiers all wearing SA daggers or daggers of other German services?
Anyway, it was nice to see my city on the video and the history. I was hoping to see some areas where the Germans were camping so that when I visit I can take a detector out for fun but no luck.
I remember many stories about those times from my relatives.....but here is not the place to tell...
About the girl...I unfortunately can't directly help you but I do have two ideas of how to maybe be able to find more info.
1. The first idea is a long shot. Some of you attempted to contact the cameraman a family. I don't think that will help much as they will probably have little.idew about the time and places.
But everywhere you look there, is an MP. Would there be a specific unit the MPS are allocated to? I'm not sure of the structure of how military police are identified by. Are they just attached to a division...or will they have their own number and designation.
I thought that if by chance from the hundreds of MPs dealing that day with the chaos, one might still be alive. But the question is how to get into contact with them.
2. My second idea is our multimedia. We are all on fb. Well not all but many. How about if one person here takes it upon themselves and shares a picture of LLG on fb and attaches a link for further information. If it goes viral, we might come across a person that knows her, is a relative, or has more clues....
Cheers
Lubos

Adibach

Post by Adibach » 13 Oct 2016, 22:11

I like your ideas y stoneagegixer..

WrongTrouser

Post by WrongTrouser » 14 Oct 2016, 18:19

Forgive me if this as already been posted (there's a lot of info in this thread that I probably missed!), but there's also a little bit more video footage of what appears to be this Lost German Girl. Looks to be the same jumper and trousers and also the fact she is tending to an injury on her left side of her face/eye, similar to the injuries shown in the walking footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4Sc6Z ... tu.be&t=1m

She also seems to be talking with other German prisoners and at one point appears to be smiling, or even laughing gently.
Lost German Girl.jpg
Some have made the comparison of LGG to the other girl's face to camera picture and that they probably aren't the same based on subtle differences between facial features. I think people need to bear in mind, one's environmental conditions can alter one's appearance, even ever so slightly. I'd like to add that when I was a soldier and first went to Afghanistan I was physically fit and healthy looking. After just a couple of months (excessive exertion/stress and usual combat related conditions) I was much leaner and gaunt looking. If I were to show a before and after picture of myself from back then, you would see just how much my face had changed.

Return to “Women in the Reich”