Hauptabteilungsleiterin Schmelzeisen-Servaes, Reichsfrauenfü

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Heimatschuss

Hauptabteilungsleiterin Schmelzeisen-Servaes, Reichsfrauenfü

Post by Heimatschuss » 30 Apr 2010, 21:57

Hi,

here's another Hauptabteilungsleiterin, Ilse Schmelzeisen-Servaes who headed the legal affairs department of the Reichsfrauenführung that was installed relatively late sometime in the 1940s. Prior to becoming a department head she had already worked as a legal advisor for the RFF under her earlier name Eben-Servaes.
Ilse Eben-Servaes (Ullsteinbild No. 00974389).jpg
Ilse Eben-Servaes (Ullsteinbild No. 00974389).jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
Source: http://www.ullsteinbild.de

Also found the following entry for her in http://www.koeblergerhard.de/Rechtsfaec ... echt35.htm
SCHMELZEISEN-SERVAES, Ilse
Rechtsanwältin, Dr.;
geb. Pfaffendorf bei Koblenz 18. 10. 1894;
Werdegang: geb. Servaes, verw. Waas, verw. Eben, Studium Rechtswissenschaft Univ. Kiel, Freiburg im Breisgau, 1922 Promotion Univ. Kiel, 1923 erste jur. Staatsprüfung,
1927 zweite jur. Staatsprüfung, Rechtsanwältin Berlin, 1934 Ausschuss für Familienrecht, Jugendrecht, Rechtsfragen in der
Bevölkerungspolitik, Wolfahrtsrecht und Fürsorgerecht;
Veröffentlichungen: Die gegenwärtige Rechtslage des Inventars bei der landwirtschaftlichen Pacht unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der
Geldentwertung 1922 (Dissertation);
Sonstiges: Röwekamp, M., Juristinnen, Lexikon zu Leben und Werk, 2005, 362
which roughly translates to:

SCHMELZEISEN-SERVAES, Ilse
lawyer, doctor of law;
born Pfaffendorf near Coblence, Oct 18, 1894;
Career: nee Servaes, widowed Waas, widowed Eben,
studied law at the universities of Kiel and Freiburg im Breisgau,
1922 doctorate at the University of Kiel,
1923 first legal state exam,
1927 second legal state exam, lawyer in Berlin
1934 on the committe for family law, youth law, legal affairs in social engineering and welfare;
Publications: Die gegenwärtige Rechtslage des Inventars bei der landwirtschaftlichen Pacht unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der Geldentwertung, 1922 (doctoral thesis);
Further information in: M. Röwekamp, Juristinnen, Lexikon zu Leben und Werk, 2005, p. 362

Best regards
Torsten

-Michael

Re: Hauptabteilungsleiterin Schmelzeisen-Servaes, Reichsfrau

Post by -Michael » 06 May 2010, 17:09

Servaes is a very Flemish name by the way.

Heimatschuss

Re: Hauptabteilungsleiterin Schmelzeisen-Servaes, Reichsfrau

Post by Heimatschuss » 12 Jan 2012, 00:32

Hello,

here's an excerpt from Schubert (1989, p.41) providing more details on the life of Ilse Servaes, in particular her date and place of death.
Schubert - excerpt.jpg
Schubert - excerpt.jpg (144.13 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
I'll try to translate this later. Since there are numerous legal terms included that don't have a direct equivalent in English it may take some time. Please bear with me.

I must say with this multitude of family names she used (compare my initial posting) it's really hard to figure out how she was called at a certain time.

Servaes also ran as candidate in the national elections for the German federal parliament (Bundestag) in 1969. Under the name 'Ilse Waas' she was on the list of the Gesamtdeutsche Partei in state of Baden-Württemberg though without success. Interesting is that according to Schumacher's candidate list (p.1307) her year of birth for the candidacy was given as 1898. Seems to have been an 'optimized' age.
http://www.kgparl.de/online-volksvertre ... /mdb-w.pdf

References:

Schubert, Werner
Akademie für Deutsches Recht, 1933 - 1945, Protokolle der Ausschüsse
Band 3: 2. Familienrechtsausschuß

Schumacher, Martin
M.d.B. – Die Volksvertretung 1946–1972
e-book; Kommission für Geschichte des Parlamentarismus und der politischen Parteien e. V.; ISBN: 978-3-00-020703-7
http://www.kgparl.de/online-volksvertre ... e-mdb.html

Best regards
Torsten

StammbaumServaes

Re: Hauptabteilungsleiterin Schmelzeisen-Servaes, Reichsfrauenfü

Post by StammbaumServaes » 03 Feb 2015, 13:33

Ilse is the daughter of Heinrich Servaes and Clara van Baerle: http://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/stamb ... /I2479.php. All other persons named Servaes in this forum are members of the same family, my family. There have been family members on both Axis and Allies side during WWII.

Savigny

Post by Savigny » 03 Sep 2015, 16:53

can anybody help me establishing any connection to Prof. Gustav Klemens Schmelzeisen (German law professor, born 1900 in Düsseldorf - died 1982 in Baden-Baden) ?

General information on G. K. Schmelzeisen: http://www.catalogus-professorum-halens ... emens.html

Ilse Servaes-Schmelzeisen died in Düsseldorf where Gustaf Klemens Schmelzeisen was born into a very local family.
She was most likely not his sister. Perhaps some hidden marriage? Perhaps married to any siblings or cousins? Any other connection possible?

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 04 Sep 2015, 21:58

Hello Savigny,

Röwekamp (2005, p.363) writes that Ilse Eben-Servaes announced on Aug. 18th, 1942 that her surname had changed to Schmelzeisen-Servaes, I presume to the lawyers' chamber (Rechtsanwaltskammer) in Berlin. The Berlin address book for 1942 still lists her as 'Eben-Servaes', in 1943 it's
'Schmelzeisen-Servaes'. A marriage to some 'Schmelzeisen' is the most likely explanation but none of the three 'Schmelzeisen' men in Berlin is registered under her address so they're unliklely candidates.

It's an interesting idea that G. K. Schmelzeisen may have been Ilse's husband. Both were successful lawmen, Prof. Schmelzeisen had written his Habilitation thesis about the historical legal position of women in the municipial economy and he lived in Halle/Saale since spring 1942 so wouldn't appear in the Berlin address book.

Have you already tried the denazification file of G. K. Schmelzeisen which is stored in the state archive in Sigmaringen?
http://www.leo-bw.de/web/guest/detail/- ... av+Klemens
Often there's some information on the family of the defendant in there.

The way Schubert describes her post-war career (see excerpt above) it sounds as if Heidelberg (and Mannheim) were just the last stage, i.e. she was active somewhere else before. Perhaps it can be checked if she previously was registered at Landgericht Hechingen which would be a clear hint she and Prof. Schmelzeisen were a couple.

The earliest time I found her after WW II was 1958 when she was already in Heidelberg and called herself 'Ilse Waas'. That year she published an essay in the law magazine 'Zentralblatt für Jugendrecht und Jugendwohlfahrt' with the title 'Das Gleichberechtigungsprinzip in seiner Wirkung auf das Recht des ehelichen Kindes.' Combing through the Heidelberg address books for the 1950s (so far not online) might also offer a chance to see when she came there.

References:

Röwekamp, Marion
Juristinnen. Lexikon zu Leben und Werk.
Nomos Verlag; Baden-Baden; 2005

Best regards
Torsten

Savigny

Post by Savigny » 07 Sep 2015, 15:49

As far as i´ve found out G. K. Schmelzeisen had been married to Ingeborg Rys from Düsseldorf since 02.08.1934.

Living in Hechingen they had three kids, all born between 1939 and 1944. Later they moved from Hechingen to Baden-Baden where they would live during and after his time as law professor at the technical university of Karlsruhe (close to Heidelberg an Mannheim where Ilse Servaes seemed to work as a lawyer after the war).

However during the war he had spent years at various places as a law professor, teaching a wide range of legal topics. What he wrote during the 1930s was really nasty, btw.

One article of his therefore caught my attention now that you mentioned Ilse Servaes´ "Das Gleichberechtigungsprinzip in seiner Wirkung auf das Recht des ehelichen Kindes.'" from 1958: G. K. Schmelzeisen himself had published an article on "Albert Weitnauer - Die legitimation des außerehelichen Kindes im römischen Recht und in den Germanenrechte des Mittelalters" in ZRG Germ. Abt. 63, 1943, S. 476 f. already. This is somehow outstanding considering the fact that most of his other pubplications where not related to family law at all.

Don´t get me wrong - this is all wild speculation and nothing but some "fishing expedition". perhaps we´re on the right track, though. If anybody finds out about possible siblings, cousins or any other relatives that might connect the Schmelzeisen and Servaes families or would come up with other strange theories, please help us out.

best regards!

StammbaumServaes

Post by StammbaumServaes » 08 Sep 2015, 12:43

There are a few more things that puzzle me.

I got her birth certificate from Koblenz for the family tree and it states that she has married for the 2nd time in 1932, nr. 44 in Berlin Nikolaussee. She ought to be a widow by then. But to my surprise, Kurt Waas, the man considered to be the first husband, is still alive and he lives till 1948. Did she seperate? Was it with her position necessary to be married on paper? How come a person becomes a widow that often and remarries again that quickly in this period of time?

How is it possible that she was candidate for a political party with her track record? Or was she considered to be clean. I heard in family stories that this corner of the family was the type with a swastika on top of the Christmas tree... :?

And then there is this one that is being studied by Burghardt from Cologne:
Carl Franz Servaes was in the Abwehr in Brussels. Reginald Maxwell Servaes was vice-admiral of the British navy. Canaris was vice-admiral of the German navy and later head of the Abwehr.

Canaris knew the British navy very well. Carl-Franz his dad August Servaes was an important industrial in the German Metal industry with friends like Canaris sr., Röchling, Stinnes, Thyssen, Krupp. Canaris and Carl Franz Servaes had known each other from being kids and when Canaris became head of the Abwehr, Carl-Franz Servaes joined as well. Vice-admiral Reginald Maxwell Servaes was the grandson of the brother of August Servaes. While Canaris was plotting out his work for an attempt to kill Hitler and surrounded himself with loyal people, it is assumed that Carl Franz Servaes and Reginald Maxwell Servaes had contact. While Carln Franz sent his spies to the UK with the U-boat, Reginald Maxwell was in charge of that part of the Navy that was chasing U-boats. And somehow information got directly to MI-5 and MI-6. Now, since this was so much in the family line: did Ilse use the family line as well in that position?

I saw in a database mentioned: one child. I'm still looking for it.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 10 Sep 2015, 22:49

Hello Stammbaum,

to make things even more confusing Günther Eben only died in 1961 (Maier, 2015)! So was Ilse a trigamist? Or did she think it looked simply better to present herself as a tragic double-widow than to admit divorce(s)? Divorced once after a few years of marriage can be bad luck. When you're divorced twice after a short time it could lead to the idea that the fault is actually in the personality of the double-divorcee. :?

Eben is quite a rare family name in Germany with just 173 entries in the current phone book.

I've combed through the Berlin address books 1920 - 1943 (http://www.zlb.de/besondere-angebote/be ... echer.html) and looked for Günther Eben. The first time Eben appears in the 1928 edition where he's listed as Dr.-Ing., living in Berlin-Steglitz, Birkbuschstraße 61.

For the years 1929 to 1931 his address remains the same but he's now registered as Dr. rer. nat., Ing.[enieur]. So he held a doctorate in natural sciences after previously having graduated as an Ingenieur already.

In the address book for 1932 Eben doesn't figure at all.

In 1933 he's back in town, now living in Berlin-Nikolassee, Alemannenstraße 11. Despite their marriage Ilse remains registered under Hohenzollernplatz 1 in Berlin-Nikolassee. Actually it's the same tenement block in both cases. The front door is Hohenzollernplatz 1
and the back door is Alemannenstraße 11. Was Ilse just too lazy to go to the citizen registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and have her address corrected? In 1933 the profession of Günther Eben was recorded as Dr., technischer Hilfsarbeiter.

For 1934 there's no entry for Eben in the Berlin address book.

In 1935 he's registered again, now as a Dr. and Regierungsrat, living in Berlin-Nikolassee, Hohenzollernplatz 1 just like Ilse. Regierungsrat means he's an official now in the public service and is in the career track for Höhere Beamte (higher officials), the highest class (hierarchy low to high: einfacher Dienst, mittlerer Dienst, gehobener Dienst, höherer Dienst).

In the 1936 edition there are no changes.

In 1937 there's no entry for him in that year's Berlin address book.

In 1938 he's listed again with the same data as in 1935 and 1936. That's the last time he's in Berlin's address books. In all subsequent years there's no mention of an 'Eben, Günther'.

Fishing with GoogleBooks I came to the following notice:
Reichspatentamt

Er nannt: zum Direktor des Reichspatentamts Oberregierungsrat Arnold;

zu Oberregierungsräten und Mitgliedern der Beschwerde-Abteilungen des Reichspatentamts die Oberregierungsräte Mirau und Dr. Starck;

zum Oberregierungsrat und Mitglied des Reichspatentamts Oberregierungsrat Dipl.-Ing. Meyerhoff vom Reichsentschädigungsamt für Kriegsschäden;

zu Regierungsräten und Mitgliedern des Reichspatentamts die Regierungsräte Grey, Böhlhoff, Beckmann und Paul Hoffmann;

zu Regierungsräten die technischen Hilfsarbeiter Dipl.-Ing. Krauß, Dr.-Ing. Nobis, Dr. Grote und Dipl.Ing. Krause.

Als technische Hilfsarbeiter in das Beamten - verhältnis übernommen: die Hilfsarbeiter auf Privatdienstvertrag Dipl.-Ing Klosmann, Dr.-Ing. Donat und Dr. Kittler.

Eingestellt: zur Beschäftigung als rechtskundiger Hilfsreferent Oberregierungsrat Dr. Meyer vom Reichsausgleichsamt;

als Hilfsarbeiter auf Privatdienstvertrag Dr. Rudolph, Ing. Langbein, Reg.-Baumeister a. D. Dipl.-Ing. Seiderer, Dipl.-Ing. von Gavel, Dipl.-Ing. Götze, Dr. Heine, Dipl.-Ing. Hassert, Dipl.-Ing Ziethen, Dipl.-Ing. Raeck, Dr. Eben, Dr. Hermann Schmidt, Dipl.-Ing. Fuß, ...
Source:
Zeitschrift für Eisenbahnwesen und Verkehrstechnik (Glasers Annalen), Ausgaben 106 & 107, 1930, p. XXIV

With the scarcity of the family name there cannot have been very many 'Dr. Eben' at the time. The snippet also shows that the term technische[r] Hilfsarbeiter from the 1933 address book was a future career step Dr. Eben had not reached then. But if he continued his further career would get him there and then later to the title Regierungsrat.

That Eben was in the public sercice as a chemist can be derived from a table published in Maier (2015). This 1934 table shows Eben as a Fachgruppen-Verbindungsmann of the VdCh (Verein Deutscher Chemiker, Association of German Chemists) where he headed the committe for Beamtenfragen, dealing with all questions related to chemists working as officials in the public service. If Eben was at the Reichspatentamt [Reich Office for Patents and Brands] it would have been perfectly natural for him to be in this committee.

After WW II I've found a Dr. rer. sc. nat. Günther Eben who lived in Munich and worked as a self-employed Patentanwalt (patent attorney). His address according to Adressbuch (1953, p.86): München-Schwabing, Agnesstraße 39 / 3rd floor. Maier (2015) obviously had a good nose when he speculated that this man may be the former VdCh functionary Dr. Eben from Berlin.

References:

Adressbuch deutscher Chemiker 1953/54.
Verlag Chemie; Weinheim; 1953
http://tinyurl.com/pej8onw

Maier, Helmut
Chemiker im "Dritten Reich".
Die Deutsche Chemische Gesellschaft und der Verein Deutscher Chemiker im NS-Herrschaftsapparat.
Wiley VCH; Weinheim; 2015
http://tinyurl.com/ptgeyl7
[GoogleBooks version without pagination]

Best regards
Torsten

StammbaumServaes

Post by StammbaumServaes » 13 Sep 2015, 16:38

Hello Torsten,

Ok, so there are a bunch of questions, we don't understand, but there maybe some answers as well.

I found out over family members that there is a child, a boy, but like with all living members of the family, I won't mention any further details because of their privacy.

Hohenzollernplatz 1E is the adress where Ilse her dad lives till about 1941. After that I can't find him back. Due to his age he might have been in the final years of his life, since his brother Franz dies in 1948 in Vienna. (https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/stam ... /I2453.php)

Ilse has an address in the Französiche Straße 48 as well between 1932-1941. One might have been an office adress.

Regierungsrat seems like an option. We do have a few more in the family. Just take a look at the family tree.

I have asked the Archive in Düsseldorf to send me the complete Einwohnermeldekartei on Servaes, so I can make clear how all connections are within the family. They gave me back that it would cost me way over 100 euro, which seems very strange to me, cause Hüls, Krefeld, Neuss gave me all the documents for less than 40 euro. I'm afraid that at the moment we would need a researcher to crack this puzzle, because with family research on my own family, I can't get the access at a normal price.

Regards, Armand (der auch ganz gut Deutsch lesen und schreiben kann :wink: )

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 15 Sep 2015, 22:12

Goedenavond Armand,

the Berlin address books say Eben-Servaes had her office at Französische Straße 48 in the centre of Berlin but lived in Berlin-Nikolassee, Hohenzollernplatz 1.

The last time this office is listed in the 1941 address book. Französische Straße 48 seems to have suffered some air raid damage already in 1941 because the number of offices and persons registered under this address drops sharply in the 1942 address book. In the years 1938 and 1939 there were 18 'inhabitants' each, in 1941 the number had shrunk to 15 and then in the 1942 edition it has plummeted to a mere 8! All law firms, an insurance broker and a tailor left between Jan. 1941 and Jan. 1942. Except for the tailor they're all registered with a new Berlin address in 1942.

I too assume that Ilse's father died in 1941 and that she moved her office to Hohenzollernplatz 1 into the rooms vacated due to the death of Col. Servaes. This move would get her 18 kilometers away from the city centre which was most prone to air raids and additionally she could avoid that a foreigner was quartered in the flat at Hohenzollernplatz 1. Otherwise the Berlin housing office would have impounded these rooms quickly. There always was a great demand for housing and office space in those years.
Inhabitants Französische Str. 48:

1938:
Aufrichtig, H.G. Bücherrevisor
Busse, A. & Co., Finanzierungen
Christel, H. Weinstuben
v. Cölln, H., Versicherungsbüro
Eben-Servaes, Ilse, Dr., Rechtsanwältin
Glas, A., Musikhandlung
Hamel & Co. Bankgeschäft
H.B.G. Herren-Bekleidungs G.m.b.H.
Jarius, H., Rechtsanwalt u. Notar
Kubath, E., Rechtsanwalt
Middelmann, A., Schneider f. Damen u. Herren
Mürau, H.G., Konservenvertreter
NSDAP Gaufilmstelle Groß-Berlin und Kurmark
Neu-Guinea-Compagnie, Deutsche Kolonialgesellschaft
Putleb, H. Bücherrevisor
Reichsverband der Deutschen Werbemittler e.V.
Schoenherz, A Handelsvertreter
Werner, H. & Co., Bank

1939:
Borchardt, F.W., Weinrestaurant
Busse, A. & Co., Finanzierungen
Glas, A., Musikalienhandlung
Hamel & Co. Bankgeschäft
H.B.G. Bekleidungs-G.m.b.H.
Heintze, N. Vertretung
Kubath, E., Rechtsanwalt
Masius, H.M. und Michaelis, W. Dr., Rechtsanwälte u. Notare
Middelmann, A. Schneider f. Damen u. Herren
Neu-Guinea-Compagnie
Putleb, H. Bücherrevisor
Rißmann, H. Hauswart
Weiner & Co., Bankgeschäft

1940:
address book part IV, page 241 missing

1941:
Hamel & Co. Bankgeschäft
Kubath, E., Rechtsanwalt
Masius, H.M., Rechtsanwalt u. Notar
Middelmann, A. Schneider f. Damen u. Herren
Neu-Guinea-Compagnie
Putleb, H. Bücherrevisor
Rißmann, H. Hauswart
Rose, H.K. Werbeberatung

1942:
Hamel & Co. Bankgeschäft
Putleb, H. Bücherrevisor
Rißmann, H. Hauswart
Rose, H.K. Werbeberatung

1943:
Rißmann, H., Hauswart
Best regards
Torsten

StammbaumServaes

Post by StammbaumServaes » 18 Sep 2015, 14:12

I'm getting to a point where I think it might have been "necessary" for her to be "married", if only it was on paper. In "The shaping of the Nazi Society" by Peter D. Stachura it says that she was used, next to Gertrud Scholtz-Klink, as an example of what women could achieve in the Third Reich. So, there had to be a stereotype picture.

https://books.google.nl/books?id=3IiQBA ... es&f=false

StammbaumServaes

Post by StammbaumServaes » 21 Sep 2015, 14:28

Another thing that drew my attention is that Gertrud Scholtz-Klink has somewhat similar marriages than Ilse Servaes. Here we see as well three marriages in about the same period: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrud_Scholtz-Klink

And a thing I don't understand is who went into semi-retirement in 1942in this sentence: "In terms of public exposure Ilse Eben-Servaes was second only to Gertrud Scholtz-Klink until she went in semi-retirement in 1942" (The Nazi Organisation of Women By Jill Stephenson, page 120).

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 11 Oct 2015, 13:49

Hello Savigny,

thank you for providing these details on Prof. Schmelzeisen. In the light of them them it seems very improbable that Prof. Schmelzeisen and Ilse were a couple.

But who did Ilse marry then? The most likely solution now is it's one of the three Schmelzeisen men living in Berlin at the time. Perhaps she moved into his apartment/house and kept her former residence in Berlin-Nikolassee just as an office. A move like this wouldn't be obvious from the address books.

Generally speaking women tend to marry upwards socially, especially when they've been in Academia. This makes one Peter Schmelzeisen from Berlin-Niederschönhausen the most likely candidate. He must have been quite wealthy and had a house of his own. The other suspects were clerks and lived way more modestly. Johann Schmelzeisen lived in a tenement house in Berlin-Wilhelmsruh (Fontanestraße 54). He was the only one with a white-collar job in the house, anyone else there had a blue-collar profession. The flat of Herbert Schmelzeisen was located in a large tenement block (40 units) in Stubbenkammerstraße 5, north of the city centre. The list of inhabitants in the Berlin address book shows the people there had a lot of blue-collar jobs too, sometimes simple white-collar, augmented with pensioners and widows. I doubt that's the social sphere a high-profile figure like Ilse would have liked to marry into.

I've looked through all Berlin address books starting in 1920 and this Peter Schmelzeisen appears for the first time in the 1929 edition when he lived in a tenement house in Berlin-Pankow, Damerowstraße 1. [The address doesn't exist anymore so don't try to find it with GoogleMaps. Their result is faulty.] His professional position was recorded as Direktor (director). Since he's in no earlier edition of the Berlin address book he obviously had moved there from some other town. In 1933 he shifted to another tenement block a few meters down the road at Breite Straße 13a. There he remained until 1937. His profession is now described as Verkaufs-Direktor (director of sales). This profession he keeps till 1943, the last address book available. In the course of 1937 he bought a newly built house in Berlin-Niederschönhausen, Homeyerstraße 19, less than two kilometers from his old address. Pictures of this building taken in 2008 can still be seen in Google StreetView (see below). It was a two-storey brick house with a cellar and even a garage which was quite rare at the time. In all the years until 1943 Peter Schmelzeisen (and perhaps his family) was/were the only inhabitant(s) of this house so it was definitely not overcrowded in there. His social status would have been quite okay for someone like Ilse. [The aerial photo in GoogleMaps shows the house has been refurbished meanwhile so the outward appearance may have changed.]

If he was a Direktor in 1929 he must have been at least in his late thirties already. This would mean that by 1942 he was about 50 or older, so his age would fit better to that of Ilse than that of Gustav Klemens Schmelzeisen. [In general women in Germany marry men 3 to 7 years senior to them.]

Here's a compilation of the entries in the Berlin address books for Peter Schmelzeisen:
1928 -
1929 Direktor, Pankow, Damerowstr. 1 I. [I. means 'first floor', i.e. second floor for North Americans.]
1930 Direktor, Pankow, Damerowstr. 1 I.
1931 Direktor, Pankow, Damerowstr. 1 I.
1932 Direktor, Pankow, Damerowstr. 1 I.
1933 Direktor, Pankow, Damerowstr. 1
1934 Verkaufs-Direktor, Pankow, Breite Str. 13a
1935 Verkaufs-Direktor, Pankow, Breite Str. 13a
1936 Verkaufs-Direktor, Pankow, Breite Str. 13a
1937 Verkaufs-Direktor, Pankow, Breite Str. 13a
1938 Verkehrsdirektor, Niederschönhausen, Straße 7, Nr.19, Weißes Haus [Street renamed Homeyerstraße in 1938.]
1939 Verkaufsdirektor; Niederschönhausen, Homeyerstr. 19
1940 Verkaufsdirektor; Niederschönhausen, Homeyerstr. 19
1941 Verkaufsdirektor; Niederschönhausen, Homeyerstr. 19
1942 Verkaufsdirektor; Niederschönhausen, Homeyerstr. 19
1943 Verkaufsdirektor; Niederschönhausen, Homeyerstr. 19
But where did Peter Schmelzeisen work? Was he important somehow? When he came to Berlin in 1928/1929 the house he lived in (Damerowstaße 1) was owned by the cigarette factory Garbáty, with 1600 employees (1931) one of the largest industrial enterprises in Berlin-Pankow. About another 800 persons worked in the neighbouring printing and packaging company Pappen- und Papier-Verarbeitungs-AG (short: Pa-Pa-Ge) that was owned by the Garbátys as well. (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Garb%C3%A1ty). All three Garbáty production sites in Berlin-Pankow as well as the Pa-Pa-Ge site are just a stone's throw away from Damerowstraße 1 where Herr Schmelzeisen resided initially. Until 1928 (included) the Berlin address books list one Karl Schrempp sen. living in Damerowstraße 1, profession: Direktor. A note in the industial news bulletin 'Wochenblatt für Papierfabrikation' (1922, p.2560) (http://tinyurl.com/psqq3ch) said one Karl Friedrich Schrempp had been appointed procurator of the Pa-Pa-Ge company. So obviously Damerowstraße 1 wasn't a bad address and the Garbáty cigarette works were accustomed to house leading employees there.

When Schmelzeisen moved to Breite Str. 13a in 1933 he actually just changed to the other side of the block with the Garbáty cigarette production. By then the Pa-Pa-Ge works had already been sold to the cigarette company Reemtsma from Hamburg (in 1929) and had been closed down (in 1931). So Schmelzeisen obviously was in the tobacco business and not in the paper & printing division. That's all I've found about him. I've looked for him in some 1920s address books from other german centres of cigarette production (http://mein-kleiner-rauchsalon.de/marke ... retten.htm) like Hamburg, Bremen, Dresden, Cologne and Breslau but to no avail. For cigarette towns like Mülheim/Ruhr, Wiesbaden and Andernach that are far more interesting because they had a known Schmelzeisen population there are no address books online unfortunately.

Only a request at the Einwohnermeldeamt (residents registration office) in Berlin may help to find out where Peter Schmelzeisen was from.

Best regards
Torsten
Attachments
Homeyerstrasse 19.JPG

StammbaumServaes

Post by StammbaumServaes » 12 Oct 2015, 10:10

Could it be that Peter Schmelzeisen is a brother of G.K. Schmelzeisen? Based on the article he wrote on the Ilse-subject, it seems that he has knowledge on her ideas.

Seems to me that the only reasonable thing to do to get a complete idea of the persons involved is to get the marriage certificates in Berlin.
<3-10-1925 - Waas
44/1932 Berlin, Nikolaussee - Eben;
around 18-8-1942 -Schmelzeisen

Return to “Women in the Reich”