Little bit of information on Eva Brauns car

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Annelie

Little bit of information on Eva Brauns car

Post by Annelie » 27 Jun 2011, 16:58

Alpenfestung

Re: Little bit of information on Eva Brauns car

Post by Alpenfestung » 03 Jul 2011, 05:48

Was there really an "Eva Braun car"? Does anybody know if she had her own car? Her home movies don't have any footage of her driving, and as far as I know there aren't any pictures of her behind the wheel of a car (there is a rather blurry picture of a KdF Wagen -VW- convertible on a mountain road with supposedly Eva in the driver's seat and AH as a passenger). I think everybody agrees that the Mercedes that was paraded around the country sometime in the early seventies was a fake - (there even was a story about how the car was discovered in a barn in Austria in Motor Trend magazine at the time; I have a copy of the magazine and one of the glossy 8x10 promotional photos).
It would be interesting to find out when and where Mr. Kelly got to drive the car and what kind of car it was. I wonder if he took any pictures. I don't doubt his story, it just seems like most of the new 'owners' of of the cars that were 'liberated' at the end of the war claimed some high-ranking personality as the previous owner. I knew a WWII vet who always told a story about driving "Hitler's car" (at least that's what the French officer who was in possesion of the car told him) somewhere in France.

Peter
"Change is easy.....improvement is far more difficult"
(Ferdinand Porsche)

EvaBraunAuthor

Post by EvaBraunAuthor » 04 Jul 2011, 08:45

Yes, she had a car. Hitler made her a gift of one of the first People's Cars, a black Volkswagen. For more on Eva Braun, see my authoritative biography "The Untold Story of Eva Braun: Her Life beyond Hitler." Thomas Lundmark

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 04 Jul 2011, 13:39

It would be interesting to find out when and where Mr. Kelly got to drive the car and what kind of car it was. I wonder if he took any pictures. I don't doubt his story
Yes, it would be interesting if someone asked him. I don't doubt him for he even said he carved his
initials in the glove compartment.

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 04 Jul 2011, 19:22

EvaBraunAuthor wrote:Yes, she had a car. Hitler made her a gift of one of the first People's Cars, a black Volkswagen. For more on Eva Braun, see my authoritative biography "The Untold Story of Eva Braun: Her Life beyond Hitler." Thomas Lundmark
Thomas,

Thank you for your input, I'll have to get a hold of a copy of your book. Here's the picture I mentioned in my previous post (you're probably familiar with it), I wonder if this is in fact Eva's car with her behind the wheel
Attachments
EBvw.jpg
Eva's VW? (source: post on TheSamba.com forum)
EBvw.jpg (113.52 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 01 Aug 2011, 00:25

I have read a bit about these early cars and I wonder if this isn't the car sold or given to one of the Porsche employees, perhaps Herbert Kaes? I seem to recall reading he had one fitted up with a Notek light but I cannot remember if it was one of the convertibles or a saloon. I can't read the registration number from this photo but I assume it is the "Hitler" convertible and not the other cornerstone ceremony one. Interesting picture though.
I just realised that the photo in colour of Hitler [or is it Himmler] in a Black convertible KdF wagen where he is leaning out of the open door talking shows up a Notek light in the reflection on the bonnet. Perhaps they'd become a standard fitting even with the slit headlamp covers.
Regards
Matt

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 14 Aug 2011, 18:46

Matt,

Sorry about the late reply, I just realized that the picture I posted earlier is also in Blaine Taylor's book "Hitler's Chariots Vol. 3: Volkswagen - ..". The quality is sligtly better, and the last 5 numbers on the license plate are ...48564. According to Mr. Taylor, this was the car given to Hitler for his 50th birthday - there is another picture of it in the book, without the headlight covers, added horns(?) and Notek light, but the license plate is clearly visible - 1A-148564 - it probably is the same car.

Peter
Attachments
AH50th - VW&MB.jpg
AH's 50th Birthday presents (Source: Blaine Taylor: Hitler's Chariots, Vol. 3)
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 14 Aug 2011, 18:57

Hello Peter;
Many thanks. I too didn't note the reply as soon as I should have!
Lovely front view of the KdF-Wagen that was Hitler's birthday gift. This is the same car of which there is several views [including in colour I think] of Porsche being present at the gift ceremony and showing Hitler the car. I haven't seen the side by side pic with the Mrec before though, it is lovely, and of course there was very few convertibles made. [possibly I think this is about the 3rd or so?]
Regards
Matt

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 14 Aug 2011, 19:18

Found a little bit on volkswagen on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2srLegxI ... BC3CB17C80

here is something incredible :)
not saying I believe just posting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwlbCLX7 ... re=related

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 14 Aug 2011, 21:32

Hi Annelie
I just checked out the VW youtube clip that you referred to in your post. "Incredible' is not the word. I think Artie Johnson from "Laugh In" days said it best ..... 'very interesting' Someone certainly put a lot of effort into creating it. I was looking at Peter's posting and the lovely picture that he attached. I was particularly interested in the Mercedes. I am sure that you are all aware that a sister car is on display at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. The museum car does not have a plate on it now, but the original plate on it was IA 148697 On July 19, 1940 Hitler was filmed in a newsreel using this particular car. The serial number of the car in Ottawa is 429334. The details have been confirmed by Daimler Benz who were able to trace it back to order file No. 366986 in their archives. I am attaching a scan from an old brochure. I wonder if anyone knows what happened to the 6 wheeled Mercedes W4 (WH 32288) that Hitler used.
Regards,
Willi K
1940 MB used by Hitler .jpg
1940 MB used by Hitler .jpg (40.84 KiB) Viewed 6523 times

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 14 Aug 2011, 21:43

Annelie wrote:Found a little bit on volkswagen on youtube

here is something incredible :)
not saying I believe just posting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwlbCLX7 ... re=related
Annelie,

Now if we could only find some footage of Hanna Reitsch flying one of those we could tie it back into the "Women in the Reich" topic.... :lol:
Just kidding, of course - thanks for posting the link, I needed a good laugh!

Peter
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 14 Aug 2011, 22:11

willi_klingel wrote: I wonder if anyone knows what happened to the 6 wheeled Mercedes W4 (WH 32288) that Hitler used.

Willi,

This is a little off-topic for the "Eva Braun car" thread, I hope we don't get in trouble - I started a "Mercedes G4 - where are they now" thread in the Axis Equipment section a while back, unfortunately nobody has added any information on the fate of the 57 G4s yet (the G4s are mentioned in a couple of posts in the "Hitler's Mercedes" thread).

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=175733

A G4 Offener Tourenwagen with the license plate WH 32288 used to be part of the Imperial Palace collection - I don't know if it was the original car or where it is now - I'm still hoping the Mercedes experts on this forum will eventually chime in with some information.

Peter
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 14 Aug 2011, 22:25

Matt Gibbs wrote: This is the same car of which there is several views [including in colour I think] of Porsche being present at the gift ceremony and showing Hitler the car. I haven't seen the side by side pic with the Mrec before though, it is lovely, and of course there was very few convertibles made. [possibly I think this is about the 3rd or so?]
Matt,

I'm not an expert on these cars, just stumbled across this topic through some Obersalzberg posts. I did find a color picture of the car at AH's bithday celebration - the top of the last three numbers on the plate are just visible at the bottom of the picture, looks like 564. I wonder what happened to it - there is a cabriolet in a museum in Germany somewhere that was supposed to have been Hitler's, so maybe it survived

Peter
Attachments
AHvw.jpg
1A-148564 Birthday present (source WW2incolor.com)
AHvw.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
(Ferdinand Porsche)

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 14 Aug 2011, 22:41

Hi Peter,
Yes, you are right - I was off topic - easy to do when one gets carried away. I will look up the Mercedes G4 thread. I have some information on a couple of the cars. Thanks for the head up and pointing my nose in the right direction.
Willi

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 14 Aug 2011, 22:43

Hello Willi,
I am sure that you are all aware that a sister car is on display at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. The museum car does not have a plate on it now, but the original plate on it was IA 148697 On July 19, 1940 Hitler was filmed in a newsreel using this particular car. The serial number of the car in Ottawa is 429334. The details have been confirmed by Daimler Benz who were able to trace it back to order file No. 366986 in their archives
Yes, I have heard about the car in the museum. Also heard about an WWII Vet there from panzer (if I remember correctly) that was giving tours. Hope he hasn't retired yet. I was really hoping to go and get an tour with this person. The museum seems to have a lot of interesting WWII exhibits. Trying to find someone whom is interested enough
to go with me.

Annelie

Return to “Women in the Reich”