Louise Guyon-Witzschel

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Helge

Louise Guyon-Witzschel

Post by Helge » 26 Aug 2011, 09:26

[Split from the thread on Gudrun Himmler at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=135814. ~Vikki]

The woman on the left: Louise Cuyon-Witzschel, who was secretary at the SS Headquarters in Italy
Gudrun.jpg
Gudrun.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l? ... 7febd66735
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

ladycplum

Re: Louise Guyon-Witzschel

Post by ladycplum » 28 Aug 2011, 01:52

Wow....that unibrow.....
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

Helge

Post by Helge » 28 Aug 2011, 09:24

Helge wrote:The woman on the left: Louise Cuyon-Witzschel, who was secretary at the SS Headquarters in Italy
Louise Guyon-Witzschel, secretary to SS-Gruppenführer Odilo Globocnik of the SS Headquarters at Tolmezzo, Italy

Document http://library2.lawschool.cornell.edu/d ... 105_01.pdf
Attachments
Vol_XVII_53_105_01.jpg

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 28 Aug 2011, 18:27

Helge,

When I google her name nothing comes up? Why was she imprisoned, I guess I mean what was so
important about her that the Allies kept her in prison?

I admit I know nothing of her. From a search through some of my books I also find nothing?

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 28 Aug 2011, 18:44

Annelie wrote:Helge,

When I google her name nothing comes up? Why was she imprisoned, I guess I mean what was so

I admit I know nothing of her. From a search through some of my books I also find nothing?
Annelie,

On opening the Cornell link to the document, it appears that Helge made a typo in the surname in the thread title and first post. The name should be Louise Guyon-Witzschel rather than Louise Cuyon-Witzschel. I've corrected that in the thread title. If you search on the corrected name, you should get plenty of hits.

Best,

~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 28 Aug 2011, 18:52

I've also added a link to the source for the photo above.

~Vikki

Helge

Post by Helge » 28 Aug 2011, 19:34

Vikki wrote:

Annelie,

On opening the Cornell link to the document, it appears that Helge made a typo in the surname in the thread title and first post. The name should be Louise Guyon-Witzschel rather than Louise Cuyon-Witzschel. I've corrected that in the thread title. If you search on the corrected name, you should get plenty of hits.

Best,

~Vikki
Thanks Vikki. Thanks for the correction. I had missed it 8O

Helge

Post by Helge » 29 Aug 2011, 10:00

Hello Annelie,

This also seems to me a very difficult search

Helge

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 29 Aug 2011, 15:24

Picture in Robert E. Conot's book "Justice at Nuremberg"....caption "...an SS woman of intrigue".

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 29 Aug 2011, 19:38

Yes, Helge.

I googled and only found six pages and each one of those led back to the photo or the
interagation report and that was all.

Nothing much to find at all which makes me believe that there really isn't anything
that the allies were interested in?

Helge

Post by Helge » 29 Aug 2011, 20:14

Hi Annelie,

Double the surname seems to me a woman in France / Belgium / Switzerland, married to a man named Witzschel. It was always the secretary Globocnik and followed him in Italy. He had to be very reliable. If she was a prisoner, whose name was on a wanted list. We try to find Mr. Witzschel

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 29 Aug 2011, 23:56

Hi Helge,
I was looking through some old interrogation files and came across a Louise Guyon Zesbron as being a person interrogated at Nürnberg. I wonder if this was the same woman. Can't remember where I read it, but I think I read that Guyon-Witzschel was in some way connected to Aktion Heydrich. I'm just fishing on the last one. I wish I could remember where I read it.
Take care
Willi K.

Helge

Post by Helge » 30 Aug 2011, 08:21

willi_klingel wrote:Hi Helge,
I was looking through some old interrogation files and came across a Louise Guyon Zesbron as being a person interrogated at Nürnberg. I wonder if this was the same woman. Can't remember where I read it, but I think I read that Guyon-Witzschel was in some way connected to Aktion Heydrich. I'm just fishing on the last one. I wish I could remember where I read it.
Take care
Willi K.
Thanks Willi

Guyon Zesbron I find here: Page No. 35
Louise Guyon-Witzschel I find here : Page No. 33

Strange name for Germany. Maybe I'm the same family?

Helge

http://www.archives.gov/research/captur ... /m1270.pdf
Attachments
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 25 Mar 2015, 01:57

Hello,

here's an interesting and witty story about her taken from Dolibois (1989, pp.167-169) that may otherwise go unnoticed because her name is slightly misspelled:
Sex reared its head on my watch that afternoon. A guard brought me a note which had been intercepted. PW General Karl Wolff had written to a woman prisoner named Guyon-Witschel (sic!, Torsten). Wolff was one of Himmler's top adjutants in the SS. He was involved in some scheme for the surrender of German troops in Italy, behind Hitler's back. There was a lot of such activity toward the end of the war. I guess you would call it a part of the P. Y. A. operations of every government in crisis — protect your ass.

Guyon-Witschel was a notorious woman spy. She was held on the special women 's floor of the prison. One of the guards had been bribed to take the note from Wolff to her. It read, "Don't worry, the Americans will never release a pretty woman to the Russians." I was curious. I climbed the steps to the upper floor. The doors to the women's cells were kept locked. Apparently this had something to do with the rumor that one of the women prisoners had become pregnant by one of our own guards.

I wanted to talk to Madame Guyon-Witschel about the exchange of notes. It apparently had been going on for some time. As I unlocked her cell door and entered, I came upon a very handsome woman in her early thirties. She wore a long robe and high-heeled shoes. She literally towered over me when she stood up. I asked her to sit down. I get nervous when I talk to such tall women.

I showed her the note which had been intercepted. She glanced at it and smiled. It wasn't a coded message, no hidden meanings. Just reassurance. I asked how this exchange of notes was possible. She shrugged. "The guards like me," she said. She reached for a cigarette from a small pile of them on a tin plate. They were American, not PW ration. I asked where she got them. She answered my question with a short tug at the belt of her robe. The robe fell open. The gorgeous wench was stark naked under her mantle. She grinned wickedly at my being taken off guard. I'm not sure I displayed much savoir faire. To act indignant would make me look even sillier. So I just nodded knowingly and said, "Let me see if I have this figured out right, Fräulein; whenever you want to add to your supply of smokes you expose yourself to one of the guards on duty , and he tosses in a cigarette in appreciation?"

That was it. She had lots of friends on guard duty. They liked being kind to her. They would even carry notes from one cell to another.

I had nothing more to say to the blasé damsel. When I came out of her cell, the guard, standing just a few feet away, snapped to rigid attention, more so than necessary. His ears were red as beets. I stepped up to him and stared hard in his face — trying to keep from laughing. "If you don't tell, I won't either," I said, and walked away. His reply came an instant later: "YES SIR!!" It sounded relief all over. I waited two days and then wrote a suggestion in the day book. We needed some Women's Army Corps personnel for the women prisoners.

Weeks later I mentioned the incident informally to Colonel Andrus. By then it was too late to track down the guards on duty during my discovery. Meanwhile action had already been taken in regard to handling the women's floor of the prison. Captain Grace Auer headed a small team of WACs, and an army nurse, Lieutenant Mears arrived. My comment to the sentry outside Guyon-Witschel's cell had gotten around. The men on guard duty were extra courteous to me whenever I came through the prison corridors.

The funniest part of that episode took place some time later. We were at a small gathering of officers, a sort of "thank-God-it's-Friday" affair. Colonel Andrus recounted the story of the notorious woman spy who put on a peep show for the GI guards. He screwed up the story. He identified the seductress as Margaret Blanke, not Guyon-Witschel. Poor Margaret Blanke, another female prisoner, was a mousy old lady who had been von Ribbentrop's secretary. I didn't correct the boss' story. He was too proud of his ability as raconteur.
References:

Dolibois, John E.
Pattern of Circles. An Ambassador's Story.
Kent State University Press; Kent, Ohio.; 1989

Best regards
Torsten

Helge

Post by Helge » 25 Mar 2015, 10:10

Return to “Women in the Reich”