Women Sport Uniform ID Help

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Edpin

Women Sport Uniform ID Help

Post by Edpin » 25 Aug 2012, 05:55

Hi everyone :)

First of all, I'm sorry because I'm not sure whether I put this in the right section.

I have attached a scan of an image I've got from the HJ/BDM photo collections.
I'm not familiar with the insignia on that picture.

Normally, a BDM sport uniform has a HJ diamond sewn on it, and RADwJ has a RAD logo in a shield form.
But, it seems that the insignia is in a circle shape. Is it possible that it's an SA-Sportabzeichen?

If anyone could identify the insignia, it will be very appreciated :)
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Edpin
Attachments
inset004.jpg
inset004.jpg (117.01 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
bdm004.jpg

heimwehr danzig

Re: Women Sport Uniform ID Help

Post by heimwehr danzig » 25 Aug 2012, 11:52

The SS sports vest featured a black circle with white sig-runes I think...

If so, maybe SS Helfs doing physical training?
"If I looked like Himmler, I wouldn't go on about race so much"
- Albert Forster, Gauleiter Danzig West Prussia

Edpin

Post by Edpin » 03 Sep 2012, 16:29

Hi heimwehr danzig,

Thanks a lot for your reply, regarding the SS sports vest :)

But I don't think it's an SS logo, because in my opinion, an SS sport vest has a black circle and black SS runes in it.
And when it is seen from such distance, ones could recognise the plain white color inside the logo.

My first guess is the SA Sportabzeichen, since it has a cloth variant for what I know.
However, this could be wrong because I don't know any story about that :?

I'll look the description on the internet and also some books. Hope I find something useful.

Many thanks heimwehr danzig for your help :)

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 07 Sep 2012, 05:30

Hello Edpin,
Edpin wrote: ...and RADwJ has a RAD logo in a shield form.
Actually, the RADwJ sports vest insignium is in an oval, as opposed to the shield shape of the men's RAD (see the left of this photo):
RADwJSportAbzeichen.jpg
RADwJSportAbzeichen.jpg (101.11 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Is it possible that it's an SA-Sportabzeichen?
I'd wonder about that, since I'd wonder how common it was for women to have the SA Sportabzeichen. But I could well be mistaken on that. And I also definitely see where you got the idea, given the circular shape and the top and bottom projections of the insignia outside the circle, as with an SA Sports Badge.

I've looked carefully at the photo, but can't offer much positive help without a better resolution enlargement. But you might take a look at this thread on sports uniforms, since comparing photos to photos sometimes helps:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128424

Best regards,

~Vikki

Edpin

Post by Edpin » 07 Sep 2012, 05:50

Hi Vikki,

Thanks a lot for the info you have provided about the RADwJ sport vest logo, I was wrong about it, which is different with the men's RAD. I really appreciate it :)
... I also definitely see where you got the idea, given the circular shape and the top and bottom projections of the insignia outside the circle, as with an SA Sports Badge.
that's exactly what I assumed the first time I looked at the photo, but after searching throughout the internet, I still couldn't get any info about female service in the SA.

And for the picture, I tried my best to enlarge it with the highest resolution, but since it's only 9x6cm large I can't do much about it.

But overall, I would like to thank you for the info, also for the link, I'll check it out :milsmile:

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 07 Sep 2012, 06:51

Hello Edpin,
Edpin wrote: And for the picture, I tried my best to enlarge it with the highest resolution, but since it's only 9x6cm large I can't do much about it.
Try posting the photo at its original size here. Someone may be able to see clues in the unedited version, or may have more luck at zooming in on the insignium.

~Vikki

Max

Post by Max » 07 Sep 2012, 14:37

Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 08 Sep 2012, 16:13

That's the RADwJ insignium, yes. (Even though it's posted on a BdM set of photos.) As Edpin says, the BdM sports shirt had the same diamond as the Hitler Jugend wore on the front. See http://www.bdmhistory.com/research/sports.html for photos, for example.

~Vikki

Edpin

Post by Edpin » 11 Sep 2012, 09:26

Hi Vikki,

Responding your previous message to attach the original size of the picture.
I tried that before, but the forum has maximum allowed size of 512 kb :(

freddiefro

Post by freddiefro » 02 Aug 2014, 13:21

Below is a 1934 photo of what appears to be a rather large sports event. The women sport-uniforms appear to have a Preußen eagle and I would like opinions as to whether this some civilian club or a State-sponsored organization? (Source: NARA)

Fred
Attachments
07431.jpg
07431.jpg (182.03 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
07431A.jpg
07431A.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 1834 times

Return to “Women in the Reich”