Carin Göring's skeleton found

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
J. Duncan

Carin Göring's skeleton found

Post by J. Duncan » 29 Aug 2013, 22:17

Article dated back in January tells the tale of the skeleton of Carin Göring, found on the property of Karinhall.
Has some interesting pictures, including the swastika altar to her memory that Göring placed in a corner of his grand estate:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lodge.html

Biber

Re: Carin Göring's skeleton found

Post by Biber » 30 Aug 2013, 15:00

I think you'll note that the swastika is on the carpet not the "altar".

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 02 Sep 2013, 23:33

yes...badly stated..."Shrine to Carin with swastika carpet."

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 23 Oct 2013, 18:59

Hang on a second.....I read Hermann had her body cremated after it had to be moved around so much.....
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 24 Oct 2013, 21:09

Where did you read this? According to biographies of Göring (namely, Leonard Mosley's "The Reichsmarschall"), Göring had her remains transported to Germany because her tomb was being vandalized by Swedish anti-Nazis (Swastika graffiti). They had a ceremony with Hitler in attendance. At the end of the war, Göring had the place demolished and later they found her skull lying about. The article is about her other bones being discovered.

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 27 Oct 2013, 02:00

J. Duncan wrote:Where did you read this? According to biographies of Göring (namely, Leonard Mosley's "The Reichsmarschall"), Göring had her remains transported to Germany because her tomb was being vandalized by Swedish anti-Nazis (Swastika graffiti). They had a ceremony with Hitler in attendance. At the end of the war, Göring had the place demolished and later they found her skull lying about. The article is about her other bones being discovered.
I can't say anything regarding the validity of it, but there's a book called Women of the Reich by Anna Sigmund that has this passage in its chapter on Carin:

The crypt of Carinhall would not be Carin Goering's final resting place. When the Red Army was approaching the Schorfeide in the Spring of 1945, Goering ordered that his summer residence be blown up. Carin's mausoleum was also destroyed after her remains had been taken out of their coffin and buried in a nearby forest. In May, 1945 soldiers of the Red Army looking for Goering's hidden treasures ransacked the property and desecrated Carin's new grave. The local farmer retrieved the body, had it interred, and informed the family. Meanwhile, East Germany had been taken over by the Communists, whose authorities would never have approved the Fock family's request to return Carin's remains to Sweden. At this point, Fanny Wilamowitz turned to the Swedish pastor in Berlin, Heribert Jannson, for help. Together, they hatched a plan that would make any mystery writer proud. Jannson first had the forester secretly open the grave, place Carin's remains in a bag, and bring them indirectly to Berlin. There, he had the corpse cremated under a different name-and using falsified paperwork-at the Wilmersdorf crematorium on February 3, 1951. Shortly afterwards, Jannson traveled to Sweden with the urn among his baggage. After a brief stopover in Hamburg, he found that his car had been broken into and all of his belongings stolen. The thieves had only left behind the 'worthless' urn. He delivered it to the Fock family, along with a receipt for the cremation. After the memorial service, only attended by family, Carin von Fock Goering was buried in her original grave in the cemetery of Lovo. It was her fifth burial.
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 27 Oct 2013, 09:02

Thankyou for the source....I have that book too and missed it....I'll have to check that one out and see where her source of information came from. Good catch.

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 28 Oct 2013, 05:33

J. Duncan wrote:Thankyou for the source....I have that book too and missed it....I'll have to check that one out and see where her source of information came from. Good catch.
It's on the very last page of the chapter on Carin.

Thomasine

Post by Thomasine » 25 Nov 2013, 16:51

ladycplum wrote:
J. Duncan wrote:Where did you read this? According to biographies of Göring (namely, Leonard Mosley's "The Reichsmarschall"), Göring had her remains transported to Germany because her tomb was being vandalized by Swedish anti-Nazis (Swastika graffiti). They had a ceremony with Hitler in attendance. At the end of the war, Göring had the place demolished and later they found her skull lying about. The article is about her other bones being discovered.
I can't say anything regarding the validity of it, but there's a book called Women of the Reich by Anna Sigmund that has this passage in its chapter on Carin:

The crypt of Carinhall would not be Carin Goering's final resting place. When the Red Army was approaching the Schorfeide in the Spring of 1945, Goering ordered that his summer residence be blown up. Carin's mausoleum was also destroyed after her remains had been taken out of their coffin and buried in a nearby forest. In May, 1945 soldiers of the Red Army looking for Goering's hidden treasures ransacked the property and desecrated Carin's new grave. The local farmer retrieved the body, had it interred, and informed the family. Meanwhile, East Germany had been taken over by the Communists, whose authorities would never have approved the Fock family's request to return Carin's remains to Sweden. At this point, Fanny Wilamowitz turned to the Swedish pastor in Berlin, Heribert Jannson, for help. Together, they hatched a plan that would make any mystery writer proud. Jannson first had the forester secretly open the grave, place Carin's remains in a bag, and bring them indirectly to Berlin. There, he had the corpse cremated under a different name-and using falsified paperwork-at the Wilmersdorf crematorium on February 3, 1951. Shortly afterwards, Jannson traveled to Sweden with the urn among his baggage. After a brief stopover in Hamburg, he found that his car had been broken into and all of his belongings stolen. The thieves had only left behind the 'worthless' urn. He delivered it to the Fock family, along with a receipt for the cremation. After the memorial service, only attended by family, Carin von Fock Goering was buried in her original grave in the cemetery of Lovo. It was her fifth burial.
There are actually two remains buried in her grave at Lovö cementary. The first one is the one found and cremated byJannson and the second is the one found in 1991 and DNA-tested.

The interesting question is Who is the first one?

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 25 Nov 2013, 20:39

Thomasine wrote:
ladycplum wrote:

There are actually two remains buried in her grave at Lovö cementary. The first one is the one found and cremated byJannson and the second is the one found in 1991 and DNA-tested.

The interesting question is Who is the first one?
Wow, that's new information to me. Sort of reminds me of the skull in the Russian archives that for years was supposedly Hitler's, until they actually tested it and found out it was a women's skull....

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 25 Nov 2013, 23:40

I have the book also, but didn't remember reading this.

However about the validity of the book I can add

Anna Maria Sigmund - born in Waidhofen am Thaya, Lower Austria, she studied
history and art history in Vienna, and is a member of the institute für Osterriechische
Geschichtsforschung )Institute for Austrian History Research).

At least she has some credentials.

Thomasine

Post by Thomasine » 16 Dec 2013, 00:44

Ladycplum

I have made some Research into the matter of Carin Göring's remains and I found this report about the DNA-testing.
Anna Kjellström, Hanna Edlund, Maria Lembring, Viktoria Ahlgren og Marie Allen: ”An Analysis of the Alleged Skeletal Remains of Carin Göring,” PLOS One, 19. desember 2012.
www.plosone.org/ (Public Liberary of Science and Access is free of charge)
You can Down load a PDF-file from the site.

It is very interesting Reading.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Dec 2013, 00:54

A very intensive report.

Thanks for sharing. So it seems conclusive that the remains are of Carin Goring's skeleton.

Thomasine

Post by Thomasine » 16 Dec 2013, 16:01

I am only happy to help when I can.

If you click on th link below, you can see the actual grave site at Lovoe cementary. The site has not yet been updated With the information about the DNA-testing interment. It is a very peaceful and beautiful Place and if you ever come Stockholm, I recommend a visit.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... GRid=23263

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Dec 2013, 16:11

Good for the Swedish Priest
He did what he thought was right.
Also interesting, but I wonder what made him curious in the first place?

For every answer there comes another question :-)

Return to “Women in the Reich”