Questions about portraying SS Helferin

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
ErikaSchneider

Questions about portraying SS Helferin

Post by ErikaSchneider » 29 May 2015, 22:38

Greetings all! I’m just getting into reenacting, and I am still in the process of finding information about my impression. I am with a late war unit and I would like to do an SS Helferin impression. I am by no means an expert, but I would like to make sure that my impression is as correct as it can be. I haven’t come across many others who portray SS Helferin, or I would have asked them these questions in person first!

Forgive me if some of these things have been mentioned elsewhere. I have done some reading and haven’t yet come across answers to these questions so I figured I would inquire here just to make sure that my information is correct. I hope that this thread will help other reenactors as well.

Many thanks in advance!

1) the white kerchief in the pocket – was it mandatory? What kind of kerchief was it?

2) I assume it would be incorrect to wear stockings for a late war impression, and Helferin during this time probably wore ankle socks instead?

3) I am trying to figure out a way to combat the problem of destroying footwear in muddy camps. I realize that this would not have been a problem for actual Helferinnen, but I must go from point A to point B and I either destroy my shoes or go barefoot. I am wondering if there might be a period correct alternative? What would Helferin have worn in the wintertime from getting to point A to point B? Regular 1940s winter boots?

4) So only instructors at the school wore the "Reichsschule" cuff title? Who wore the “SS Helferin” cuff title? I have seen photos of women with no cuff title.

5) In 1943, Himmler gave the order that SS Helferin were not to wear the eagle on the blouse – did they wear it there before? I have never seen an example.

6) Would all Helferin from every branch (including SS) have dog tags? What information would have been included?

7) Paper ID examples seem a bit hard to find examples of. What would have been carried?

Return to “Women in the Reich”