Liesl Ostertag, Eva Braun's Maid

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Geoff Walden

Liesl Ostertag, Eva Braun's Maid

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Dec 2015, 16:01

Any detailed info about Liesl Ostertag, who was Eva Braun's maid? Birth/death dates, where was she from, how did she become Eva's maid? I have only seen her mentioned in a couple of books. I couldn't find her name in the recent "serious" biographies of E.B. (well, I can't say for sure about the "scholarly" one, as this "scholarly" book lacks an index!).

She is mentioned several times in Nerin Gun's biography of Eva Braun, but only in passing. Gun called her "little Liesl" and noted that she was a faithful servant "of peasant origin" (Gun did interview her). In The Bunker, James O'Donnell called her "a simple country girl from Berchtesgaden."

What happened to her in Berlin in 1945? Did she escape to the West? What did she do afterwards? Was she ever interviewed at length?

paulspice

Re: Liesl Ostertag, Eva Braun's Maid

Post by paulspice » 15 Oct 2021, 04:25

I am seeking any information about Eva Braun's personal maid Leisl Ostertag, she was in the Bunker until the end, but there is no information if she joined one of the breakout groups. Did she escape? When did she die and where? Also any photograph would be great.
Thanks in advance, Paul L.

paulspice

Post by paulspice » 18 Oct 2021, 08:42

I am researching Liesl Ostertag, my research leads me to beleive that she was flown out of Berlin on 1st May with Henrich Mueller and others, to Mallorca in Spain, via the vatican ratline of Bishop Alois Hudal. What happened to her then (and Constanz Manziarly) is a blank. However, I have a weird hunch that Liesl Ostertag turned up in London in he 1960s as a singer? Any help, ideas or information would be appreciated

paulspice

Post by paulspice » 23 Oct 2021, 08:00

Any information on Liesl Ostertag will be appreciated from anyone. Did she escape from the bunker across Berlin? Or was she killed attempting to brakout, probably with Bormann or Axmann?

Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane » 13 Jan 2023, 00:10

"According to Eva’s biographer, Nerin Gun, Liesl was killed by the Russians while attempting to escape from the Bunker on May 1, 1945. She did not survive the war and her sister said to Stern magazine in 1967 that her body was never found."

Source: https://adolfhitler33.wordpress.com/201 ... umblr-com/

Return to “Women in the Reich”