Theresa Eidenböck Stangl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Helge

Theresa Eidenböck Stangl

Post by Helge » 01 Aug 2016, 08:12

Many times he requested a photograph of his wife of Franz Paul Stangl. Here it is: she's Theresa Eidenböck Stangl.
Attachments
Theresa Eidenböck Stangl.jpg
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

J. Duncan

Re: Theresa Eidenböck Stangl

Post by J. Duncan » 03 Aug 2016, 20:57

Good find....according to book by Gitta Sereny ("Into That Darkness") Theresa was some kind of social worker before the Anschluss. Franz started out as a weaver and then joined the police.

Annelie

Re: Theresa Eidenböck Stangl

Post by Annelie » 03 Aug 2016, 22:20

http://www.holocaustresearchproject.org ... women.html
Theresa Stangl

Wife of Franz Paul Stangl – Commandant of Sobibor Death Camp

“But I was very glad when Paul told me he had arranged for us to move to the fish-hatchery – it would be better for all of us, and I was glad to get the children away from that house. No, while we were in Chelm, Paul was on leave, it was when we moved to the fish-hatchery that he had to go back to work.

And one day while he was at work – I still thought constructing, or working at an army supply base – Ludwig came with several other men, to buy fish or something. They brought schnapps and sat in the garden drinking.

Ludwig came up to me – I was in the garden too, with the children – and started to tell me about his wife and kids, he went on and on. I was pretty fed up, especially as he stank of alcohol and became more and more maudlin.

But I thought, here he is, so lonely – I must at least listen. And then he suddenly said, “Fuchterlich, - dreadful, its just dreadful, you have no idea how dreadful it is.” I asked him, “What is dreadful?” “Don’t you know? he asked. “Don’t you know what is being done out there?”

“No. What?” “The Jews are being done away with. Done away with I asked, How? What do you mean?” With gas, he said. Fantastic numbers”

He went on about how awful it was and then he said, in that same maudlin way he had, “But we are doing it for our Fuhrer. For him we sacrifice ourselves to do this – we obey his orders.” And then he said, too, “Can you imagine what would happen if the Jews ever got hold of us.”

thought I would add this as it seems interesting in amongst stories of survivors.

Return to “Women in the Reich”