Questions Regarding Paula Hitler

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Wordsworth

Questions Regarding Paula Hitler

Post by Wordsworth » 15 Sep 2016, 15:59

The information I have seems to indicate (from Kubizek's book) that Paula was taken in by the Raubals after Klara died, but I've found Kubizek to be unreliable on a number of issues (for example, he states Angela Raubal was heavily-pregnant at Klara's funeral and gave birth before Adolf returned to Vienna in January 1908, but Angela's child, Geli, was born in June of that year, not January).

I've run into information that Aunt Theresa Schmidt or Aunt Johanna Polzl may have helped raise Paula, as well. Johanna appears to be the one who loaned Adolf money to live on in Vienna for a time. But wasn't she schizophrenic?

Further, there are rumors that Paula was slightly retarded, yet I've found no information to substantiate that.

Do we know who raised Paula and whether or not she had any learning disabilities?

Annelie

Re: Questions Regarding Paula Hitler

Post by Annelie » 15 Sep 2016, 17:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1n9tQxNSZA

Interview with Peter Morley with P Hitler.
You judge whether she seems slightly retarded?
He calls her simple.

Its too bad they didn't interview people with whom she lived
in Berchtesgaden with her friends etc?

Another youtube film on Paula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Rf_5CQ_qQ

Max

Post by Max » 16 Sep 2016, 13:10

Annelie wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1n9tQxNSZA

Interview with Peter Morley with P Hitler.
You judge whether she seems slightly retarded?
He calls her simple.
I think your interpretation of Morley's words is a bit harsh.
In this context he uses simple to mean uncomplicated or perhaps unsophisticated but certainly not retarded, slightly or otherwise.
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Sep 2016, 13:34

I don't mean to sound harsh.

I simply (lol) mean she didn't seem slightly
retarded to me in those videos or what I have read rather the
word simple implies to me an ordinary person with ordinary communication
skills.

Wordsworth

Post by Wordsworth » 16 Sep 2016, 14:04

I agree that Paula sounds neither grandoise in her speech nor does she sound particularly complicated as a person. In the documentary "Hitler's Family", I felt she was treated rather unfairly. It was said that history treated her as a frail little innocent but that she bought into her brother's ideology hook, line and sinker...and as proof presented her would-be engagement to Dr. Jekelius.

I never really considered that hapless incident proof that Paula supported the NSDAP doctrine and I've found no evidence that she was even a member of the Nazi Party. If she was a simple person in the definition of just not being complex, she was probably just flattered that a doctor wanted to marry her.

And, though I've seen accusations that she was learning disabled or challenged in some way, I've found nothing to support that. The videos don't present someone who has those types of problems anyway.

Return to “Women in the Reich”