Gerda Christian information/photo

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
palaisfan

Re: Gerda Christian information/photo

Post by palaisfan » 30 Jan 2010, 20:08

Hi Geoff,

First, aplologies in my reply in turn, even longer, unfortunately! ;) I got wrapped up in the Prinzregetenplatz thread and almost completely forgot my query here.

Thanks for the reply, regarding:
"I didn't find the term "Hitler's living room" in relation to the Treppenzimmer in the English translation (I looked on pages 37-39), so I can't say what the German edition has for this. Did I miss it, or did you mean a different page?"
I looked at the english edition again, and sorry I see that I just missed the best page. On my copy, it is page 36 on the bottom, and the brackets show where would like to know the german word. It says "directly opposite the door to Hitler's study [?] a couple of steps [?] led to a long corridor, beyond which was the so-called adjutancy wing with the room for Hitler's aides. The first room was the Staircase Room (Treppenzimmer) which will often be mentioned again..."

Its more easily located by noting its in Chapter 3, immediately following Schroeder's moderate digression (around 2 pages) about Kannenberg's character and way of doing things. One other thing on this point, on the top of page 55 the english edition says the valet would "open the door to the library and shut it as he withdrew" for Schroeder to go in for dictation. Does it really say library, bibliothek, or does it say arbeitzimmmer?
Her description sounds to me like this room was in the Old Chancellery (along with Hitler's study, library, bedroom, etc.), but I am really not very familiar with the Reichskanzlei layout.
Yes. I am 95 percent sure that is right, that it is in the Old Chancellery, and more precisely, on the north right wing (NE wing of the `H') of the building. But rather than bore about any of that, regarding -you mention-
There is no photo in the German edition specifically of the Treppenzimmer. There is a view down the hallway in the New Reichskanzlei that led to the old palace wing, and it says that the Treppenzimmer was also on "this end," by which I take it to mean the end nearest this hallway.
Very interesting though! It may explain a caption that I didn't understand in the new book on the Chancellery by Pawlyy. Is it a black and white photo of this hallway, perhaps? If it is different from this, could you scan it?
adjutantcorridor.jpg
Pawly p 98 caption of this says: "Adjutant's corridor, giving access to Hitler's private study in the Old Chancellery."
adjutantcorridor.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 936 times

But the photo does not show the Treppenzimmer, or any of that area of the old palace wing. There are pictures of her taking dictation, and in her office, but not in Berlin (mostly in FHQ Wolfsschanze).
I understand. If the corridor picture is different, that could be very useful in itself if showing the Old Chancellery hall corridor.

thanks,

- palaisfan

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Feb 2010, 00:23

Hi palaisfan,

My turn to apologize for taking a long time to answer ... :oops:
palaisfan wrote:Hi Geoff,
First, aplologies in my reply in turn, even longer, unfortunately! ;) I got wrapped up in the Prinzregetenplatz thread and almost completely forgot my query here.
Thanks for the reply, regarding:
"I didn't find the term "Hitler's living room" in relation to the Treppenzimmer in the English translation (I looked on pages 37-39), so I can't say what the German edition has for this. Did I miss it, or did you mean a different page?"
I looked at the english edition again, and sorry I see that I just missed the best page. On my copy, it is page 36 on the bottom, and the brackets show where would like to know the german word. It says "directly opposite the door to Hitler's study [?] a couple of steps [?] led to a long corridor, beyond which was the so-called adjutancy wing with the room for Hitler's aides. The first room was the Staircase Room (Treppenzimmer) which will often be mentioned again..."
The German text here (page 59) has: "Doch zurueck in die Reichskanzlei. Direkt gegenueber der Tuer zu Hitlers Arbeitszimmer, fuehrten ein paar Stufen zu einem langen Gang, dem sogenannten Adjutantenfluegel, von dem man in die Raeume von Hitlers Adjutanten kam." The English seems a direct translation.
Its more easily located by noting its in Chapter 3, immediately following Schroeder's moderate digression (around 2 pages) about Kannenberg's character and way of doing things. One other thing on this point, on the top of page 55 the english edition says the valet would "open the door to the library and shut it as he withdrew" for Schroeder to go in for dictation. Does it really say library, bibliothek, or does it say arbeitzimmmer?
It says Bibliothek (p. 78, German ed.) This all seems to match also in the English ed.
Her description sounds to me like this room was in the Old Chancellery (along with Hitler's study, library, bedroom, etc.), but I am really not very familiar with the Reichskanzlei layout.
Yes. I am 95 percent sure that is right, that it is in the Old Chancellery, and more precisely, on the north right wing (NE wing of the `H') of the building. But rather than bore about any of that, regarding -you mention-
There is no photo in the German edition specifically of the Treppenzimmer. There is a view down the hallway in the New Reichskanzlei that led to the old palace wing, and it says that the Treppenzimmer was also on "this end," by which I take it to mean the end nearest this hallway.
Very interesting though! It may explain a caption that I didn't understand in the new book on the Chancellery by Pawlyy. Is it a black and white photo of this hallway, perhaps? If it is different from this, could you scan it?
Oops, I forgot to scan this before I started this reply. I will scan it and append in another message. It is NOT the corridor shown in your color image.

Geoff
Last edited by Geoff Walden on 06 Feb 2010, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Feb 2010, 00:29

Verbindungsgang photo and caption
Attachments
verbindungsgang.jpg
verbindungsgang.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 878 times

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 07 Feb 2010, 07:54

Hi Geoff,

(Big thumbs up)

I have been busy too. No problem on the delay, for as usual, it was well worth waiting for! :D

Its very interesting to learn the english translation is direct and correct, for Hitler's "library" is in the Old Chancellery -- his Red Hall-Office study (where you see the London Naval Conference, and President Hoover's visit) is not ever called the Library. Sounds like Gerda took her dictation from him in the private library.

And that picture----I do indeed recognize it; that is the connecting hall between the New and Old Chancelleries, where they join at right angles. That door you see in the distance would open into the New Chancellery arcaded dining room. Now that I know the corridor referred to is that one, will re-read with that in mind.

You never can know how faithful a translation of room names a work is doing -- sounds like this one is very good.

Thank you very much,

- palaisfan

stalag-vi-f

Post by stalag-vi-f » 18 May 2011, 23:46

Did one of the secretaries have children?

Return to “Women in the Reich”