Johanna Wolf

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Roderick

Johanna Wolf

Post by Roderick » 03 Aug 2004, 22:21

Johanna Wolf was one of the Hitler's personal secretaries. Anybody knows what end this woman had?

She's on the left here:
Attachments
wolf.JPG
wolf.JPG (143.98 KiB) Viewed 10713 times

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 03 Aug 2004, 22:53

Hello Roderick,

Yes she was one of the first secretaries of Hitler with Christa Schroeder, I think since middles of 30s. Gerda Daranowski and Traudl Junge were youngest. She was very closed to Hitler. I have the interrogatory of Traudl Junge about the secretaries but in spanish, if you are interested I can post here and some christian could make the translation.

The four secretaries survived the war. Only the cook Freau Manziacly died in Berlin.

All the best,

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 04 Aug 2004, 00:36

Signori Angel,

Thanks for your info.

But beyond this, do you know something about her life after 1945? When and where she died? I've heard she was always in bad-mood nevertheless Hitler did not complain.

be lucky,

Roderick

Vienna

Post by Vienna » 04 Aug 2004, 09:11

Hi Roderick!

Johanna Wolf was in internment till 12.5.1948 and she died 28.6.1984 in
Munich (born 1.6.1900 Munich).

Regards

Vienna

Mich

Post by Mich » 04 Aug 2004, 09:52

According to Traudl Junge's book 'Until the final Hour', Johanna Wolf was born on june 1, 1900 in Munich. She also states that Hitler said goodbye to her in the night of april 21 1945 and that she died on june 5, 1985 in Munich.

Traudl Junge seems a reliable source for this I think.

Best,
Mich.

Vienna

Post by Vienna » 04 Aug 2004, 11:58

Hi Roderick and Mich!

I`m sorry

the right facts are:

Johanna Wolf died 5.6.85 and was int. till 14.1.48 and
Christa Schröder 19.3.08-28.6.84 (Munich), int. till 12.5.48.

Regards

Vienna

Mich

Post by Mich » 04 Aug 2004, 12:10

Hi Vienna,

Seems that you've 'mixed up' Schröder and Wolf!
No problem, happens to everyone!

Mich.

Heimatschuss

Who's Marie-Thekla Weichelt?

Post by Heimatschuss » 31 Jan 2007, 22:05

Hello everybody,

can anyone of you supply information on a certain Marie-Thekla Weichelt who is said to have been a private secretary of Hitler?

Photos of her are to be found in http://www.ullsteinbild.de and http://www.cegesoma.be.

Here is what Cegesma had on her:
Marie Thekla Weichelt. Frau Marie Thekla Weichelt, described as "private secretary of Adolf Hitler", was arrested at the beginning of April [1946, my addition] by United States security police at Wettingen, near Wuerzburg, where she had been living in disguise. She is being held in custody of questioning on Nazi Party activities.
I've found absolutely nothing about her on the net. Was she just the victim of a denunciation or is there more to the story?

Best regards
Torsten
Attachments
Marie Thekla Weichelt (Ullsteinbild 00300142).jpg
Marie Thekla Weichelt (Ullsteinbild 00300142).jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 10315 times
Marie Thekla Weichelt (Cegesoma Picture 107393).jpg
Marie Thekla Weichelt (Cegesoma Picture 107393).jpg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 10313 times

Gianni Lepri

Traudl Junge's interrogatory

Post by Gianni Lepri » 02 Aug 2007, 10:56

Helly Angel wrote:Hello Roderick,

Yes she was one of the first secretaries of Hitler with Christa Schroeder, I think since middles of 30s. Gerda Daranowski and Traudl Junge were youngest. She was very closed to Hitler. I have the interrogatory of Traudl Junge about the secretaries but in spanish, if you are interested I can post here and some christian could make the translation.

The four secretaries survived the war. Only the cook Freau Manziacly died in Berlin.

All the best,
Helly,
If you care to post it I can give it a try with a translation.
As for Constanze Manziarly's death in Berlin, do you have the source of this info ? Never could find a confirmed reference myself. Thanks.

cheers
Mauvered

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 05 Aug 2007, 22:12

As for Constanze Manziarly's death in Berlin, do you have the source of this info
She was part of the breakout group which left the Reich Chancellery in the early hours of 2nd May 1945.

In her 1989 book "Voices From The Bunker", Traudl Junge remembers the cook leaving the bunker with her and the other female secretaries. Junge recalled that the last time Manziarly was seen was when the group of four women tasked with delivering a report to Karl Doenitz split up, and Manziarly tried to blend in with a group of local women"

However, in her 2002 autobiography "Until the Final Hour", Traudl Junge goes on further to say that she last seen Manziarly being taken into a U-Bahn subway tunnel by two Soviet soldiers, reassuring the group that "They are just going to see my papers."

She was never seen alive by anyone again.

There is some more information here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=48303

Best regards.

Gianni Lepri

Post by Gianni Lepri » 06 Aug 2007, 11:32

Thank you for you input, Potsdamerplatz. I am (re)reading "Voices from the bunker" in these days and noted too the different version of Manziarly last whereabouts.

My conclusion is that there is no record of her committing suicide, dying in Berlin or escaping somewhere else (technically she could still be alive), standing that, I prefer to believe that her life ended in a normal unforced way.

Cheers.

Timothy H. Barnes

Constanze Manzialy Probably Survived

Post by Timothy H. Barnes » 21 Sep 2007, 05:15

mauvered -- I find the explanations of James P. O’Donnell, The Bunker: the history of the Reich Chancellery Group (Boston: Houghton Mifflin), 1978, to be authoritative and persuasive as to the fate of most of those in the Bunker at War’s end. On pp. 286-287, he states this about Constanze Manzialy:
Dr. Schenck, when he told me about the artillery burst that had killed General Ziegler [Maj. Gen. Juergen Ziegler, former commander of the SS Nordland Division], had then gone on to say, “It was at this time [during the breakout of May 2, 1945, from the Bunker] that I lost sight of and contact with Fräulein Manzialy. Hitler’s cook had gone along without a murmur up to this point. When we pulled ourselves together in the dark [it was around three o’clock] she was among those missing. Somebody came up and told me that she had been hit and killed.”

Others agreed with this version, so I came to accept it. Yet in one of my last interviews, Gerda [Daranowski] Christian said to me:
Oh no, that can’t be true. Some time after the General Ziegler incident, I caught up with Constanze Manzialy. We were plodding along the same side of the street, I believe it was the Invalidenstrasse, just before we reached the Stettiner Bahnhof. Suddenly we heard strafing fire ahead. As usual on such occasions, we quickly broke for available cover. I remember hiding under a low balcony. I saw Fräulein Manzialy, who was just in front of me on the same side of the street, disappear through a gaping hole in a brick wall. A few minutes later, I went up to look for her and I called out, not too loudly, perhaps. No answer. She had vanished. We never saw her again. But I heard no nearby shot, no scream, saw no one else about. I had the hunch she might just have taken off on her own.
And why not? The only valid reason for assuming today that Constanze Manzialy was killed in the breakout is that she has not since surfaced. As a simple cook and quite harmless soul, the lady had no reason to fear criminal charges. As an Austrian citizen, moreover, she would have enjoyed “liberated” status, one of the quainter juridical twists of the year 1945. Why, after all, keep trudging on with soldiers, SS soldiers in the bargain, when she could quietly fade into the anonymous mass of civilians?
Best wishes to all,

Tim
Toronto, Canada

Heimatschuss

Frau Weichelt - Hitler's forgotten secretary

Post by Heimatschuss » 19 Jun 2009, 22:12

Hello,

some time ago I posted a question regarding one Marie-Thekla Weichelt (see above) without success. Having an idle moment this afternoon I decided to tackle the enigma again. Not much on her on the internet but I found a short article on her arrest in Melbourne's 'The Age' newspaper (April 25th, 1946, p. 1)
Devoted to Fuhrer - Recollections of Ex-Secretary
Wurzberg (Bavaria) Apl. 24.

Hitler's former secretary, slim, blonde, Frau Marie-Thekla Weichelt, who was arrested earlier this month by Allied authorities, to-day told a correspondent of Associated Press of America that Hitler drafted all his own speeches, and often became as frenziedly oratorical in dictating them as he was later in delivering them.

Frau Weichelt is at present a prisoner in a bomb-scarred gaol, where United States army counter-intelligence officers are questioning her about her associations with the Fuhrer, and the where-abouts of her husband, a former S.S. lieutenant, who was one of Hitler's bodyguard, and who may have been with him in the last days in Berlin.

She told the U.S. correspondent, "Yes, I believe Hitler is dead - and I am sorry. The Fuhrer was so good to us who worked for him. He was a fine speaker and very intelligent."

A reminiscent gleam of admiration flickered as she recalled him delivering one of the speeches he dictated to her, and added that Hitler received many congratulatory letters from British, Americans and French - "but that was long before the war."

Frau Weichelt said that she retired in 1937, and that her contact with Hitler ceased when she left Berlin on April 6, 1945. Her husband stayed on with Hitler, but she had no word from him after she left Berlin. - (A.A.P.)
Source: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Xo ... %2C1593639

And there the story ends. Or does it not? Searching the whole internet for one Herr Weichelt would be a bit beyond my means. But this is a great forum with so many knowledgable members so I had our local search engine look for him and indeed there's someone by the name 'Weichelt'.

In a thread on the SS-Begleitkommando "Der Führer" Peter J. Hertel lists amongst others
Weichelt, Karl
Born : 26.10.14
SS-Nr. : 68.989
in Kdo. since : 18.5.34
eingstr. als : Strm.
Last Rank in W.-SS : Ustuf.d.Res.
Last Promotion : 1.1.39
Rank in Allg.-SS :
Last Promotion :
Active in the W.-SS LSSAH : 26.10.33 — 18.5.34
Frontline Action : 7.6.42 — 31.10.42
Badges :
Source: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... t#p1173853

And RolandP has this
SS-Inf.Ers.Bataillons „Der Führer“ 1939 – 1943 Graz - Stralsund
(SS-Inf., sp. Gren. u. Pz.Gren.Ersatz-Bataillon “Der Führer”)

1.Kompanie:
SS-Ustuf. Weichelt 00.00.00 – (00.04.45)
Source: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... t#p1161789

Fits all very well to the information in the newspaper article. Weichelt is not listed as MIA or KIA in the database of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge but if you play around with the leads you have so far you'll find the website of a Cologne family saying:
14. Karl Gotthard-Walter Weichelt wurde am 26. Oktober 1914 in Marienberg geboren. Er starb am 2. Mai 1945 in Berlin. Er heiratete Thekla Maria Michels am 11. September 1937 in Berlin.

15. Thekla Maria Michels wurde am 7. März 1912 in Vic sur Seille geboren. Sie starb am 8. November 2001 in Bonn.
Sie wurde am 14. November 2001 in Bonn bestattet.
Thekla Maria Weichelt (post-war photo).jpg
Thekla Maria Weichelt (post-war photo).jpg (8.82 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
7. Anke Katharina Weichelt wurde am 16. März 1940 in Berlin geboren. Sie erhielt die Kleinkindtaufe in Berlin.

30. Nicolaus-Viktor Michels wurde am 6. Oktober 1878 in Bolchen/Lothringen geboren. Er starb am 24. Februar 1955 in Würzburg. Er heiratete Marie Therese Michel.

31. Marie Therese Michel wurde am 31. März 1890 in Elsaß geboren. Sie starb am 1. Oktober 1964 in Würzburg.
Source: http://www.die-laprells.de/frames/02Generationen.html

And again all details fit marvellously with what is already known. So the secretary's correct name was Thekla Maria Weichelt (nee Michels). She was born in Vic sur Seille (Alsace-Lorraine), worked for Hitler till 1937, then married one of the Führer's bodyguards, the later SS-Ustuf. Karl Weichelt. She gave birth to a daughter, Anke Katharina Weichelt, in 1940, left Berlin in April 1945 while her husband stayed there and was KIA (or suffered some other kind of violent death).
Thekla Maria Weichelt settled down in the Würzburg area where her parents already seem to have lived. In April 1946 she was arrested by the CIC and interrogated about her role in Hitler's staff. At an unknown time after her release she moved to Bonn (to work as a secretary?) where she died in 2001.

Sometimes this internet thingy can be a really damn' good research tool.

Best regards
Torsten

stalag-vi-f

Re: Johanna Wolf

Post by stalag-vi-f » 18 May 2011, 23:46

Did one of the secretaries have children?

Return to “Women in the Reich”