Female Auxiliary Photographs

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: wermachtsgefolge pins

Post by Vikki » 07 Apr 2007, 06:13

Matt Gibbs wrote:With regards to Torstens pic of the Oct 44 Aux. with the unusual badge. Isn't this the civilian administrators badge for 25 yrs service, which is theoretically possible for a civilian worker to wear who later goes into uniform? The normal Wehrmachtsgefolge pin is different in shape to this with an eagles head facing left and no wings; maybe my memory is failing me.
ttfn
Matt,

Any misnaming of the pin is mine, and not Torsten's, since he was quoting me.

And in fact, you're right, I more properly should have called it a "Civil Administrator's" pin. I have a couple of them, and I've asked knowledgeable (and not-so knowledgeable, on the off-chance) dealers and longtime collectors about the pin on the left of your photo. And they've all called it a "Wehrmachtgefolge" pin---though they, and I and you, certainly know the difference from the standard WG (eagle-head) pins and stickpins. Their meaning was that it was, just as you've said, an insignium for a civilian worker in the employ of the Wehrmacht, which might be worn on the uniform if the person later went into military service. A couple of them have said that the true "WG" (eagle-headed) pin was for "merchants" who provided supplies and services to the Wehrmacht, while the smaller, more oval pin was for true civil servants, who worked on the staff of the armed forces. Several of them, in describing the staff/clerical function of the males and females who received it, have also noted a parallel in its stylistic closeness to the "Luftwaffe Civil Administration" pin, shown here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=67912
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... hp?t=81208

But I've always been at a loss to explain why there would be separate Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht Administration pins, when the Luftwaffe was part of the Wehrmacht. (One of my collector mentors answered this question with, "Well, you know the Luftwaffe.....they did their own thing." :wink: ) It also could not have been a "25-year" service pin, even with multiplied (doubled) wartime service, for the young woman in Torsten's photo, or for many of the other young women I've seen photos of wearing it.

Very best,
~Vikki

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 07 Apr 2007, 20:17

Hey!
Thanks Vikki that clears up my slightly foggy memory somewhat now. I used to have a small booklet on these badges written in german with some great photos, need to get another copy I think.
What you say is of course perfectly correct, and also indeed the Luftwaffe did their own thing with regards these. DanCz who may look in on the thread has the book I had, I bought 2, and he took the other one, so maybe he can comment on these more when he sees this.
What I am clear on now is that the pin on the left in my photo was also done in GILT finish, and this is the 25 year award version, not the silver as I had previoucly got mixed up with! Thanks for helping jog my memory.
Mine has no maker marks anywhere but seems really well made for a simple little pin.
Off to a re-enacting event tomorrow but will scan a few more pics after the weekend
Regards
Matt Gibbs

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 27 Apr 2007, 23:17

Two more Luft Hilf photos:

(source: online auction)

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 08 May 2007, 17:59

Deleted repeat post..
Last edited by ancasta on 08 May 2007, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 08 May 2007, 18:05

This is for Matt. Worn by the higher ranks. The Marinehelferin's higher ranks had the same border - I have posted both for comparison.
Attachments
da_1_b.jpg
Marinehelferin brooches - one lower rank, one higher rank with border. Sent to me by an ebay seller two years ago. On this one you can see the design of the border better.
da_1_b.jpg (19.33 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
blitz.jpg
Heer blitz brooch with the same border as the Marinehelferin, denoting higher ranks. Sadly I appear to have lost the bigger version of that photo.
blitz.jpg (1.28 KiB) Viewed 8343 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 14 May 2007, 17:33

sylvieK4 and ancasta,

Great photos!

Best,
~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 14 May 2007, 17:51

Photos of Kriegsmarine Helferinnen are relatively scarce. Here are a cover and article dedicated on them in a 1944 issue of Kriegsmarine magazine:
Attachments
KMHelf2.jpg
KMHelf2.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 8282 times
KMHelf1.jpg
KMHelf1.jpg (35.39 KiB) Viewed 8284 times

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 14 May 2007, 19:00

Yes its true, Marinehelferin are sadly lacking in the photo stakes. Here's one rare photo sent to me by a collector. Note her cuff title is the late war Rayon version with no yellow borders. The cuffband in the photo is in my possession. The owner believed that the photo was taken in autumn 1944, but wasnt sure.

Do you notice that two of the ladies are wearing Kriegmarine pants, but the photo isnt clear enough to see if they are male or female (styled) ones.
Attachments
Two in pants one in skirt.jpg
Two in pants one in skirt.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 8181 times

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 19 May 2007, 12:36

Ancasta
Superb photos and badges! Love the higher ranking womens blitz brooch Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 31 May 2007, 16:34

I saw this photo on German eBay today and thought I ought to post it as it is a nice example showing the different kind of socks/stockings etc worn while on duty.
http://cgi.ebay.de/WWII-2x-Foto-Frauen- ... dZViewItem

I've had trouble posting the photo so someone else might have more luck?

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 04 Jul 2007, 16:24

Hello to all!! :)
A nice potrait of RAD's Helferin.
From ebay exp.auction..
Best regards ..Francesco :wink:
Attachments
RAD HELF 01.jpg
RAD HELF 01.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 6601 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 08 Jul 2007, 21:40

Great picture, Francy! I wish I'd seen it a few weeks ago, when I was checking lengths of uniform skirts!

By the way, because of the interest in this topic (posts and views), I've made the thread a sticky.

Best,
~Vikki

JTG

Post by JTG » 05 Aug 2007, 05:03

This thread is especially interesting for some of the Searchlight photos.

Where "photogenic" subjects are concerned, the photographer focuses on <ahem> "detail".

Very interesting, thank you.

John Germain

WEISWEILER

Post by WEISWEILER » 10 Sep 2007, 20:59

sylvieK4 wrote:Two more Helferin photos found on ebay.com[/i]
Dear Sylvie,

Maybe you know this but the written inscription on the picture of the single helferin notes:

Herzliche grüsse aus den [...] Alpen. Eure Elke 7.2.45

Could be translated as:

Kind regards from the [...] Alps. Your Elke Feb. 7 1945

Elke was a common name in Germany and still is today. I can't transcript the word written before 'Alpen', though. Maybe someone else would be so kind?

/WWLR, Flanders

WEISWEILER

Post by WEISWEILER » 10 Sep 2007, 21:41

ancasta wrote:Anyone know anything about this film? Certainly a war film I've never heard of.

Dear Ancasta,

This movie was directed by Werner KLINGLER in 1958, it was a black/white motion picture made in Germany (West) and German spoken. Starring Eva Ingeborg Scholz, Bert Fortell, Klausjürgen Wussow and Nana Osten. Klingler is also known from the movie Titanic (1943). He directed from the 1920s on until the 1960s. Some of his post-war work, as this one, has been released in the USA as well. Klingler died in 1972. I wonder if the girl on the poster is Nana Osten, I’m not sure. Nana played Renate Gontard.

Source: http://german.imdb.com/title/tt0051417/

/WWLR

Return to “Women in the Reich”