Helferin Items

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Heimatschuss

Re: Helferin Items

Post by Heimatschuss » 10 Jul 2012, 10:34

Hello,

want to work for the SS? Then hurry and reply to this job advert in the Tages-Post from Linz (Upper Austria), July 3rd, 1940 (page 10) looking for a Stenotypistin (shorthand typist).
http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno? ... 10&zoom=33
SS job advert.jpg
Best regards
Torsten
Last edited by Heimatschuss on 10 Jul 2012, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 10 Jul 2012, 14:35

Hello,

here's a photo of another item used by female Luftwaffe personnel. On a number of Luftwaffe airbases as well as other Luftwaffe installations all civilian personnel (male and female) while on work had to wear round metal badges proving they belonged to that facility.
LW mechanic 1.jpg
The badges showed the Luftwaffe eagle and an inscription with the name of the facility but otherwise differed in design. Schlicht & Angolia (1999, p.584) describe two examples from the Fliegerhorst-Kommandanturen in Erfurt and Lüneburg. Unfortunately the inscription on this badge remains illegible even under strong magnification. Just that it's badge No. 11 can be seen.
LW mechanic 1 - zoom.jpg
Here's the example from Schlicht & Angolia (1999, p.583) for comparison:
LW airbase ID badge.jpg
LW airbase ID badge.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
References:

Schlicht, Adolf; Angolia, John R.
Die deutsche Wehrmacht. Uniformierung und Ausrüstung 1933 - 1945.
Band 3: Die Luftwaffe
Motorbuch Verlag; Stuttgart; 1999

Best regards
Torsten

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 11 Jul 2012, 08:42

Nice, Torsten!

~Vikki

Mike Shaner

Post by Mike Shaner » 11 Jul 2012, 16:49

Great posts!! Thank all of you.

jnette

Post by jnette » 17 Sep 2012, 21:48

These are absolutely wonderful !
I have scoured these pages and pictures hoping against hope to find something relating to my mother. One photo nearly caused me to spit out my coffee as it bore such a striking resemblance to her, but indeed it was not her.
I have but ONE photo of my mother during that time period with the NSDAP plain red armband with swastika.. was hoping to find something else to tell me what department she actually belonged to. All I know is that she was in Italy after leaving her home in Vienna, and that she was responsible for informing families of fallen troops of the deaths of their loved ones. Then taken POW in Italy and I believe taken to France before being released and returning to Vienna.

I'm assuming she destroyed all of her papers and documents before coming to the US, married to my father. I so wish I could find more about her. *sigh* :|

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 14 Jan 2014, 18:31

Hello,

here are some job advertisments for the army signals auxiliaries I've collected over time:
NH job ad 1.jpg
NH job ad 1.jpg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Lienzer Zeitung [Lienz, East Tyrol]; 4.Jahrgang; Folge 35; May 17, 1941; p.8
http://dza.tessmann.it/tessmannPortal/Z ... 1/183682/8

Translation:

German Red Cross - Office County Lienz

Announcement

In the first half of June this year a basic training course takes place in Oberalm (Salzburg) for applicants who are going to be trained as Nachrichten-Helferinnen. Maidens from 18 till 32 years of age who are interested and have the necessary aptness can register for attendance of this course until May 25th.
Address: DRK-Hauptführerin Frau M. Kunater, Lienz, Rosengasse 2, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. each day

This is an interesting ad. At the time the propaganda ministry still didn't want it to be known that the army's female signals auxiliaries were connected to the German Red Cross. There's a directive to the press from them issued July 1st, 1941 after a similar job offer appeared in the newspaper 'Hamburger Fremdenblatt' that this very detail was to be avoided at all cost (Seidler, 1998, p.56). This seems a little bizarre since that relation had already been revealed via a photo story the widely read magazine 'Die Wehrmacht' in Sept. 1940. See http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1#p1270461

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NH job ad 2.jpg
NH job ad 2.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Die Grenz-Zeitung [Stolp, Eastern Pomerania]; Nr.34, 1943; Febr 4, 1943; p.6
http://bibliotekacyfrowa.eu/dlibra/plai ... nt?id=8295

Translation:

Voluntary National Honorary Service
- Army Signals Auxiliaries -

German women and girls can add in an important position to strenghten the frontline and secure final victory. In the homeland and in all countries of Europe occupied by the Wehrmacht female army signals auxiliaries are doing auxiliary war service. By this national voluntary honoray service soldiers of the signal troops are freed who are needed at the front. The army calls for German women and girls aged 17 to 30 years to volunteer as signals auxiliaries. Assignment takes place according to individul wishes and qualification as telephone operator, telex secretary or radio operator. Special prior skills are not expected from the applicants. Sufficient health, command of German language orally and in writing, aryan descent and lack of a penal record are required though. The training lasts 6 to 12 weeks and is free of charge. This is followed by employment in an army installation. Signals auxiliaries receive free clothing, free accomodation, free holiday travels and pay. Details can be asked at deputy HQ 2nd Army Corps (Commander of Signal Toops II, Department N.H. [Nachrichtenhelferinnen]) in Stettin 10, Kreckower Landstraße 4. Applications including a handwritten CV are to be submitted there too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NH job ad 3.jpg
NH job ad 3.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Seelower Tageblatt [Seelow, Brandenburg]; Nr.97; Apr 27; 1943; p.4
http://tinyurl.com/konj2j9

Translation:

Improved Conditions for Army Signals Auxiliaries

In the course of extracting soldiers fit for frontline service female army signals auxiliaries are still urgently needed for the areas occupied by German troops in the East and West, North and South of Europe. The female signals auxiliaries are employed in army offices as teletype secretaries, telephone operators and radio operators and free soldiers for frontline service. They receive pay and, providing they're stationed in occupied territores, allowances consisting of free food, free accomodation and extra pay in cash. Applications from volunteers aged 20 to 30 years are received by the office below.

Additionally female civilian employees are needed for the communications service in Berlin. The age range for these is 17 to 40 years.

deputy HQ 3nd Army Corps (Commander of Signal Toops II, Department N.H. [Nachrichtenhelferinnen])
Berlin-Grunewald, Hohenzollerndamm 144

References:

Seidler, Franz W.
Frauen zu den Waffen?
2nd ed.; Bernard & Graefe Verlag; Bonn; 1998

Best regards
Torsten

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 29 Jan 2015, 22:33

Hello,

another sad Helferinnen item again, a death note for a Luftwaffenhelferin who died abroad of an illness .
Death Notice Martha Guendera.JPG
Death Notice Martha Guendera.JPG (66.63 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Source: Vorarlberger Tagblatt [Bregenz] of July 10, 1944; 27.Jahrgang; Folge 160; p.4
http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno? ... =4&zoom=36

Best regards
Torsten

ilovehistory

Post by ilovehistory » 13 Feb 2015, 19:08

Good research!
I like the "Blitzmädel" =)

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 29 Mar 2015, 12:14

Hello,

this is something for one of Vikki's favourite subjects: the helfs of Paris. Here's a page of funny sketches around the signals auxiliaries in the French capital. While the humour is just mild I really liked the the drawings.
Blitzmaedel humor.jpg
Berliner Illustrierte Zeitung of March 20, 1941; 50. Jahrgang; No.12; p.352
Source: http://fuldig.hs-fulda.de/viewer/fullsc ... 26_50/352/

Blitzmaedel cartoon 1.jpg
When the telephone rings! Once ... ...and since the Blitzmädels are doing the connections!

Blitzmaedel cartoon 2.jpg
The Brownies of Paris!

The signals auxiliaries on their way to change shifts.
Early in the morning when Paris is still asleep they ride
with the underground from their accomodation to the office,
work there is never to stop.

Blitzmaedel cartoon 3.jpg
In the Teletype Room

'Thunders! Inge holds today's record
with 550 meters of telex tape!'
Last edited by Heimatschuss on 29 Mar 2015, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 29 Mar 2015, 12:32

Blitzmaedel cartoon 4.jpg
Roll Call in the Hotel Lobby!

Every soldier's heart beats higher when
seeing a line up like this!

Blitzmaedel cartoon 5.jpg
Seeing again on the Banks of the Seine.

'But no, isn't that Hans! And at home he never had time to wait for me just a
quarter of an hour!'

Blitzmaedel cartoon 6.jpg
Sunday Afternoon on the Boulevard

'Know what Walter, we'll ask the girls if we're
allowed to invite them to the cinema!'

Blitzmaedel cartoon 7.jpg
Strange experience of a Landser at the train for holiday makers ...
... the Blitzmädels like to go on leave just like their male comrades!

Best regards
Torsten

tistou48

Post by tistou48 » 24 Apr 2015, 22:35

NICE!!

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 15 Jun 2015, 16:14

I agree, tistou. Torsten, these are great, and you're right, they're on two of my favorite subjects. Thanks for posting them!

~Vikki

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 03 Sep 2015, 14:23

Hello,

here's an interesting death notice for a Luftnachrichtenhelferin from a Styrian weekly. She was buried in Reims, Northern France.
Erika Stibenegg.JPG
Erika Stibenegg.JPG (41.68 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
Source:
Steirische Grenzwacht [Radkersburg] of Sep.12th, 1943; 17.Jahrgang; Nr.37; p.6
http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno? ... =6&zoom=33
Erika Stiebenegg ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Noyers-Pont-Maugis.
Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 2595

Nachname: Stiebenegg [sic!]
Vorname: Erika
Dienstgrad: Luftwaffenhelferin
Geburtsdatum: 23.10.1925
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 22.08.1943
Source: http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche

While the notice says she was 18 years old according to her entry in the database of the German War Graves Commission (VdK) she was only 17! There was a decree (in 1941 I think) that no Helferin younger than 21 (when you reached majority) could go abroad. But this isn't the first case where I've read about females considerably younger being sent to foreign countries. Either the decree about the age limit was later overturned or it was ignored to quite some extent.

Best regards
Torsten

Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Post by Siegfried Wilhelm » 16 Sep 2015, 23:27

I might have expected such a thing late in the war, but in 1943? Your theory must be right.

SW~

tigre

Post by tigre » 15 Jul 2021, 20:21

Hello to all :D; a complement............................

Luftnachrichten helferinen!

Source: https://wartimeline.com/en/stuttgarter- ... 615--.html

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image038.jpg
At work......................................................
image038.jpg (51.94 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Return to “Women in the Reich”