New online database of the Defense Ministry is opened

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Art
Forum Staff

New online database of the Defense Ministry is opened

Post by Art » 10 Apr 2010, 13:49

A new online database of the Russian Federation's Defense Ministry is launched in a test regime:
http://www.podvignaroda.ru/
The database is to provide access to scanned versions of various documents of the WW2 period from the TsAMO RF, among them are:
1) Award papers, decrees and orders on granting awards with description of deeds for which they were given
2) Operative documents: directives, combat orders, war diaries, plans of operations, reports, maps, schemes and other documents of historical value. Of particular importance are scanned maps of operations, which would allow to trace operations of particular units.
In all the content of 200 000 archival folders will be uploaded with the overall volume of 100 millions pages.
The database must be completed by December 2012.

A comment from myself: by operative documents they by all probability mean front-level documents. Also it's worth to note that nothing is said about reports on strength and losses, which is sad. Anyway, the project seems to be great and promises much valuable information for historians.

Befehl227

Re: New online database of the Defense Ministry is opened

Post by Befehl227 » 14 Apr 2010, 20:39

F A N T A S T I C !!!

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 14 Apr 2010, 21:45

Though my interest has swung away from the EF over the last decade or so, it is a great step forward for those that are.

From acorns......

Regards

Andy H

stcamp
In memoriam

Post by stcamp » 15 Apr 2010, 01:48

Very nice. Do you know if the maps will eventually show units at the Division level?

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 20 Apr 2010, 13:35

Based on few documents which are already available, the scanned maps are from front level and higher. They do show individual divisions and sometime regiments.

Dann Falk

Post by Dann Falk » 21 Apr 2010, 20:28

I'm having a real problem with this new site. Is there a link to the maps? I just can't find them.

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 22 Apr 2010, 09:19

Everything is somewhat complicated. Click on the "Календарь боевых действий" button on the left, then choose a month (they haven't uploaded any documents dated March 1942 and on) and chose "Maps" in the tab with a type of documents. Then click "Search".

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 07 May 2010, 17:10

Another anniversary resource was opened:
http://www.pobeda-info.ru
For more info see
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... hp?t=92586
Interesting for me were copies of Lage Ost maps from NARA in far better quality than on Gutenberg project:
http://www.pobeda-info.ru/Lib/pages/cat ... x?catid=92
Viewing requires a special program Silverlight to be installed.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 08 May 2010, 16:45

Hi, all!

Art, thx for information about our new project www.Pobeda-info.ru

As I'm responsible for a pack of materials on this site I can give answers to some questions.
First of all - the engine of the site is still very raw. It'll be upgraded, as we are not satisfied with the structure of the site how it is done now. But as for aerials and maps they looks quite good. Some bugs do presents, but we are working... :D

You can find there
600 aerials of different Soviet towns (now only ~400 is available)
40 German Situation Maps (they are scanned maybe in the best possible quality. Original files had weight up to 300Mb!)
400 Battle schemes (~280 downloaded right now)

And also, newspapers, newsreel and many other things.
Still not downloaded TsAMO records for Air Forces. I know about 2500 pages are in progress.

Welcome... ;)
Regards
Alex

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 08 May 2010, 16:50

Dann Falk wrote:I'm having a real problem with this new site. Is there a link to the maps? I just can't find them.
Dann, that podvignaroda site has an awful Flash engine! You can't even give a link to the map you find there!
Silent about search facilities. I had a hot argue with one of their officials finished with the statement they have no enough money for making suitable search engine... So, it'll be a giant heap of excellent documents, but you'll need a "spade" to dig inside it.
Also I am quite skeptical towards facilities of their Flash engine when the amount of graphic information to grow enough.
For me Silverlight plugin is much better than Flash for that purposes

Regards
Alex

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 09 May 2010, 11:42

Thank you for information, Alex.
AMVAS wrote: Still not downloaded TsAMO records for Air Forces.
What would it be? Opersvodki?

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 09 May 2010, 12:38

Art wrote:Thank you for information, Alex.
AMVAS wrote: Still not downloaded TsAMO records for Air Forces.
What would it be? Opersvodki?
Something like this... :roll:

Russ Schulke

Post by Russ Schulke » 05 Jun 2010, 19:56

AMVAS,

Very intriguing project! 8O

(1.) If understand correctly the ultimate goal is to have all unclassified documents in the noted archives (TsAMO) online? Is this correct?

(2.) What is the time frame for having the Divisional, Brigades and Regimental records online?

Example: I would like to research the 126 Rifle Division (and associated/attached Regimental units) during the period of July 30 to August 10, 1942.

Russ

http://www.fireonthevolga.com

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 05 Jun 2010, 21:00

Hi, Russ!
Russ Schulke wrote:AMVAS,

Very intriguing project! 8O

(1.) If understand correctly the ultimate goal is to have all unclassified documents in the noted archives (TsAMO) online? Is this correct?
For Podvignaroda - yes. but I have feelings, they will stop on some high levels - Fronts-Armies. But lets wait. They deals only with TsAMO documents.
Our project deals with a bit other kind of documents from RGAKFD, GARF archives and some others
(2.) What is the time frame for having the Divisional, Brigades and Regimental records online?
Lets stay alive before they publish Army-Front level before the divisional level
Example: I would like to research the 126 Rifle Division (and associated/attached Regimental units) during the period of July 30 to August 10, 1942.
You'd be lucky to survive until the date they scan those records :D

regards
Alex

Russ Schulke

Post by Russ Schulke » 05 Jun 2010, 21:53

So, after reviewing your reply and that you have acknowledged you are and insider into the scope of work being done for this project:

(1.) Divisional, Brigades and Regimental documents/maps will NOT be online! Is this correct?

Many thanks,

Russ

http://www.fireonthevolga.com

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”