White Russian/British Caspian flotilla 1919

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Felix C

Re: White Russian/British Caspian flotilla 1919

Post by Felix C » 05 Aug 2012, 01:37

Thank you Mischa. I admit diaries, memoirs and contemporary fiction provide a great deal of atmosphere to be able to properly understand the actions of participants.

I have read a number of diaries and memories from the British expeditionary forces which occupied/loss/reoccupied Baku and their comments as to the local situation are near impossible to fathom. I am fortunate to not have been involved in civil war. My family has and commented on the constant violence of the period and uncertainty as to which faction occupied one's neighborhood from one period to another.

Mischa

Post by Mischa » 12 Aug 2012, 08:02

Felix C wrote:Thank you Mischa. I admit diaries, memoirs and contemporary fiction provide a great deal of atmosphere to be able to properly understand the actions of participants.

Hi, a small correction. The Dreadnought of the Caspian Sea (152 mm - guns) was really Emmanuel Nobel not and Emil like in Vritish suurces stay. This confirms the best in Russian published source of the White Russian naval officer, Nikolay Nikolayevich Lishin (Лишин Николай Николаевич), a book about his service with the British, but also under Andrew's flag, which fluttered on the HMS President Krüger wrote. He wrote his memories undet the title: "На Каспийском море. Год Белой борьбы" = On the Caspian Sea. A year of struggle whites. In 1940, he lived in Riga or Tallinn, there are discrepancies, where he was arrestet of the NKVD and was shot in Mosow in June 1941 to death after a trial,to beeing a white, a "traitor" of the workers - was and peasants' state.

Here is his great book can be found. Who is the Russian language is powerful, which will certainly please.
And about the situation in Baku, I would add something later.

http://www.ourbaku.com/index.php5/%D0%9 ... 0%B0%D0%BD.
Regards
Mischa
Attachments
Liszin.jpg

PT Dockyard

Post by PT Dockyard » 03 Jul 2014, 03:41

I have one more I am looking for dimensions on- HMS Sergie, the CMB carrier.

Any help is appreciated! I will post a picture I found when I return home

Dave G
The PT Dockyard

lupodimare89

Post by lupodimare89 » 24 Jul 2014, 15:41

I have one more I am looking for dimensions on- HMS Sergie, the CMB carrier.
You've tried to read there? http://militera.lib.ru/h/shirokorad_ab3/index.html
(check the section III).

As has been mentioned, it's a very good book for details (and first of all available online).
You've just be careful that has lots of White propaganda.

BDW, for what i understood, HMS Sergie wasn't the only CMB carrier.
She was never actually used for such role (i only found a mention in a British site that CMBs were launched after the battle of Alexander Fort, claiming targets in the harbour, but considering that Reds had already left, they could have actually torpedoed/scuttled some wrecks)

If you're interested in MTBs that book say that actually one real effective attack was achieved.
On 14 November 1919, White (ex-british) CMBs hit and damage the soviet armed pontoon n°4.
It's actually unclear the real effect of the damage (if torpedo exploded under the ship).
But the site say that it was used the ship "KAMA" as carrier for the CMBs

And finally there are details of the captured ships in Anzali in 1920, thet VOLGA (former A.Useynov) and Orlenok, were used for such role (i think it was switched: first Orlenok was for seaplanes and later for CMBs, and Volga was for for CMBs and later for seaplanes).

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”