K. E. Goretskii Asst Chief of Red Army Supply Directorate

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Der Alte Fritz

K. E. Goretskii Asst Chief of Red Army Supply Directorate

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 18 Oct 2013, 08:02

I am looking for biographical details of this officer.

The reason is that "Historical Perspectives of the Operational Art edited by Michael D. Krause, R. Cody Phillips" has this to say about him:
Goretski.jpg
Goretski.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 495 times
but I cannot find any mention of him elsewhere in Soviet writings.

Paul_Atreides

Re: K. E. Goretskii Asst Chief of Red Army Supply Directorat

Post by Paul_Atreides » 18 Oct 2013, 18:03

There is no waste, there are reserves (Slogan of German Army in World Wars)

Der Alte Fritz

Re: K. E. Goretskii Asst Chief of Red Army Supply Directorat

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 19 Oct 2013, 05:44

What a fascinating career!
In 1941 he would have been 71 and as a Special Scientific Advisor a retired source of experience. But he is still awarded 'Defence of Moscow ' title to add to his Order of St Anne 1st class and PhD! Khrulev does not mention him in his 1961 article though he mentioned all his deputies and assistants by name. Yet the article from 1988 above does seem to have Goretski as a key adviser. Did his former roots tell against him?

Der Alte Fritz

Re: K. E. Goretskii Asst Chief of Red Army Supply Directorate

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 11 Nov 2015, 11:09

From the history of the rear controls of the Soviet army
Colonel at resignation C. SKRYABIN

Work in the Central Archives of the Ministry of Defense, I have found a draft schemes of the Chief Commander of the rear of the Red Army, on which I had to work, and in July 1941. This scheme then lay the basis for the decision of the State Defense Committee of 28 July 1941 on the establishment of independent authorities rear of the Red Army.
... In early November 1939, after graduating from the Academy of Military Administration, I first crossed the threshold of the house of People's Commissariat of Defense, arrived at the disposal of the Chief of the Red Army Supply Corps Commissioner AB Khruleva.
He asked me where I was, what parts served as got to the apartment, and only then went directly to the official business.
- You will work, Comrade Captain, as senior assistant to the chief of department. Now there is no one in the department, I just created. After a few days to arrive the Commander – Brigadier Intendant Grigoriy Dankova, but for now you worked alone. The first task for you is: Seek in Moscow Konstantin Yefimovich Goretskii and ask him to come to come to me. This is the former assistant chief of the Central Directorate of Supply of the Red Army before the revolution - Major General, Chief Quartermaster of the Imperial Russian army.
To search for Goretskii was no problem: Gorspravka gave me the exact address. He lived in the area of high-rise Tishinskaya comfortable house, in brief words I told him about the purpose of the visit. He agreed to meet with A.V. Khruleva, quickly changed, and we went to the Ministry of Defence building.
After an exchange of greetings and mutual two-minute conversation about health and life Khrulev said:
Konstantin Yefimovich, I would like to talk to you here on what question. A month ago, I was appointed chief of logistics of the Red Army. Position for me is new, unknown>. You have the same great experience management authorities supplies, advise how best to organize the work.What kind of service you are subject to, what kinds of supplies will be in charge?
- In turn asked KE Goretskii. What kind of service you are subject to, what kinds of supplies will be in charge?
Khrulev silent about the management structure, he said confidently: The idea management must supply the army with weapons, ammunition, military-technical and engineering equipment, food and fodder, clothing and equipment and economic assets. In general, all of those than you were in charge at the time.
Goretskii thought Khruleva looked as if wondering, not offended, and said:
You can not cope with this case, Andrei Vasilievich. You take on a daunting task. Now is not the time and it is a different army. When I was engaged in the supply, the army had 3” guns, a few bigger caliber howitzers, machine gun "Maxim" and yes rifles. That's all weapons. No planes, no tanks, no vehicles or other machinery and not in such large numbers. We went on a horse. And now in the army cars, planes, tanks, sophisticated weapons, but you never know what else may appear in the near future. And most importantly - you do not have means of transport, without which you are powerless. And the span of command is not enough, your orders will be carried out only in the area of quartermaster supplies, as all the other departments are not subordinated to you.
What to do? - asked Khrulev.
Engage in supplying the troops only for food, fodder, clothing and equipment and economic assets. Take another residential-operational service and military trade. From the rest of the departments refuse. Let other departments engage in service facilities.
But then as chief of supply will not meet its purpose, - said A. Khrulev.
Correctly. It should be called the position "Chief Intendant" and organize the Main Quartermaster Directorate. Frankly, I am for the Chief of Supply, but one that would be a complete master of the Rear and also had powers of command over transportation resources. The idea of a Red Army commander who manages all kinds of supplies, is good, but it is not thought through to the end.
As proof, he cited the example of the experience of the Civil War, in June 1918, the Soviet government was created Central Supply Department of the Red Army, which had been subject to all major central management of contentment. Chief captain over supply the Red Army was in charge of the organization while the rear, driving all kinds of supplies and the evacuation of unnecessary property. In fact, it was the chief of the rear of the Red Army.
Khruleva's face flashed a satisfied smile. Goretskii noticed this and continued.
You do not worry about that the responsibility of the quartermaster service will not be enough. Only combining them, you have already done a great job. Currently, every head of department, concerning food, clothing, or equipment, economic, reports directly to the Minister of Defence and goes to him for every little thing, rarely not distracting him from very important work. And as the People's Commissar may not work in another way so a number of issues remained unresolved. All has a negative impact on the supply of troops. Commanding the service yourself, you will become a guide and "activities responsible for them”, and most importantly - free the Commissar of the functions of supply.
Khrulev thanked Goretskii for the advice, promised to think about, but it was clear that he did not agree with the proposal. Yes, and the international situation at that time, has changed dramatically. At the end of November 1939 the British and French imperialists provoked the Soviet-Finnish armed conflict. It formed the North-Western Front. All the attention was focused by Khruleva on the supply of the armed forces at the front with material and technical resources, and a proposal of Goretskii was forgotten. However, life itself soon reminded us about it as immediately after the cessation of hostilities, there were revealed a number of serious shortcomings in the organization and operation of the rear.
So, at the beginning of the war, some areas of railways, particularly Volkhov - Tikhvin and Volkhov - Petrozavodsk, were packed with trains. The reason was not only in their low capacity, but also in the lack of planning of supply procurement transports. This could have a negative impact on the supply front. The General Staff has decided to organize the delivery of cargo to the North-West and the Coastal front -from Arkhangelsk via Murmansk. MCC VOSO ordered the loading five civilian ships of the Navy. They concentrated on the Northern Dvina from the city's commercial docks. But the unloading of the cargo was unacceptably slow. In Arkhangelsk, where I arrived at the command of A.V. Khruleva, there was no central loading office that gathered representatives of all port services supply: gunners, signalmen, engineers, quartermasters food and clothing services. Therefore, each taking turns patiently waited out the other, and when his turn for unloading came, considered himself the owner of the requests and did not speed up the work. Regularly information given to the Centre did not always correspond to reality.
The People's Commissar of Defense Marshal Voroshilov, of course, worried about the state of affairs and demanded from Khruleva greater efficiency, and he nervously just shrugged his shoulders, as many services did not obey him. When finally loaded ships out to sea, the fighting had ended and they had to return back to Arkhangel.
Difficulties in the work of the Chief of Supply of the Red Army were compounded by the fact that there were similar bodies supplying military districts, either in the North-Western Front, nor the armies did not exist. He could not rely on anyone in his work. Information about the availability of troops materiel enters the center regularly, and without them it was impossible to establish a normal supply. The small and also not fully stocked supply control apparatus is clearly not consistent with the tasks that were assigned to it. This is clearly shown by the experience of fighting in the winter of 1939/40 year. In such circumstances, AV Khrulev decides to apply to the Deputy Commissar of Defense to establish a Main Quartermaster Directorate.
July 22, 1940 the order comes out from People's Commissar of Defence of the USSR on the reorganization of the Office of the Chief of Supply of the Red Army into the Main Quartermaster Directorate of the Red Army. Chief Commissary appointed by the Red Army, Lieutenant-General Quartermaster Corps AV Khrulev. In his submission to transfer control of food, clothing and household supplies, personal equipment, housing-operational management, of the Technical Committee, as well as the inspection of fire protection and overall supervision of the Red Army. The Main Quartermaster was subordinate to the Military-economic Academy and Military-economic Yaroslavl School. There were significantly expanded the rights and duties of the Chief Intendant, increase staff management and set up new departments.
Creating the Main Quartermaster Directorate was another important step forward in the organization of centralized management of the rear of the Red Army.
Since taking office the Chief Quartermaster, AV Khrulev carried out rapid organizational activities to restore order to the military sector in the flow of military materiel. Under his leadership, developed the Regulations on troop economy and the Manual on the accounting and reporting of material resources, carried out an inventory of clothing and denoted and economic assets, established firm control over training in the military and economic academies and schools, through the "quartermaster magazine" widely distributed best practices reference troop economy.
It should be noted characteristic of Andrei Vasilievich, like many other Party, government, military, and economic workers, put forward by the will of the party to senior management positions. This thirst-knowledge. He understood that without a good theoretical training to lead the supply of the army will be very difficult. Therefore it can immediately after the Finnish event began a deep study of the theory of the organization of logistics and supply, devoting every free minute. During 1940, he read all the works of Professor OA Maksheev, KE Gorketskii and NN Yanushkevich, "Guidelines for the organization of the military and operational rear of the Red Army," the materials on the history of the Quartermaster Supply the First World War and more. While at this job I often had to drive to the Library of Lenin for the various materials that were required by Andrey Vasilevich to the study of an issue of logistics activities of the Red Army. At his insistence, KE Gorketskii was employed as a scientific consultant to the offices of the Main Quartermaster Directorate. He spent hours in the office with Khruleva, talked about how organized and supply in the rear of the civil war, in various wars and campaigns of the Russian army. He listened attentively to his words and like a sponge absorbed every word.
By the summer of 1941 year AV Khrulev had a deep enough mastery of the theory of logistics and supply. Subsequently, it allowed him to competently deal with the reorganization of the rear of the Red Army, as well as work in the home front during World War II.
In memory there in July 1941. At the front of fierce battles. Supreme Commander Stalin demanded of the Chief quartermaster AV Khruleva high efficiency in ordering and supply troops, but he was powerless to perform all the tasks as authorities such as VOSO, controled fuel supply, roads, health, veterinary and other management and did not obey him. Events caused the need for a radical change in the organization of logistics troops.
One day, I think it was 26th July A.V. Khrulev returned from Stalin greatly upset. Obviously, they had a not very pleasant conversation. Andrey V. immediately called Colonel GN Dankova, his assistant Colonel KF Remizov, scientific consultant KE Gorketskii and me.
- What do we do, Konstantin Yefimovich? He said to Gorketskii, when we got to his office. I am suffocating with the work and I cannot go on, you must do so.
- We must move onto a wartime footing, - calmly spoke Goretskii. But we have not done so yet.
So, we must urgently change things. I have available a schematic diagram of the control of the rear in wartime. However, it is somewhat outdated, but if I may, we will work on it with these comrades, and tomorrow will report their views.
When KE Goretskii scheme unfolded before us, they still developed in 1918-1919., When he was Chairman of the Technical Committee of the Central management of supply of the Red Army, we were amazed, so urgent issues raised turned out as well as the accuracy of calculations and reasoning. The scheme was carried out on the lovely calligraphy paper.
Khrulev agreed with the suggestion Gorketskii and he advised us to use another document the "Regulations on the management of field forces in time of war", published in 1914. This document is worthy, and it should say a few words. The Russian army in accordance with the Regulation has created the position of Chief of Front Supply, which was in charge of the front and the rear the operations of the armies. He commanded, not only all of the home front, and local organizations and civil authority in the territory fighting Front.
The main supply directly subordinate to the chief commander of the troops of the front. Chief of Staff of the front, he reported only general data on the degree of security armies. His office, in fact, is the headquarters of the rear of the front. Thus, the Chief of the Front was actually two headquarters: one led military action, the other - the rear and supply.
For us, the workers of the department, "Regulations on the management of field forces in time of war" was a good, clear help. It focuses, in what direction should lead the development of the organizational structure behind. In addition, we use other materials, summarizing experience of the rear and supply during the Civil War.
Having studied these documents, we will quickly draw a pencil on a sheet of paper the concept of the organizational structure of the home front in wartime, as well as draw up a preliminary outline of the rights and duties of officers of the the rear in the center of the fronts and armies.
Rear services of the Red Army on the proposed scheme, headed by the Chief the rear, who is also the Deputy People's Commissar of Defense. If it were the General Directorate the rear (headed by its Chief of Logistics), composed of staff of the Office of Military Communications, Road Management and Inspection head of logistics. Chief of Logistics obeyed: Main Quartermaster Directorate, Office of the fuel supply, the Main military-sanitary and veterinary control.
Under the same scheme, we have developed a structure of the front and the rear of the army. Only instead of the rear headquarters they proposed the creation of organizational and planning departments. At the head of the department was head of logistics, which is both a deputy commander. Head of the rear edge obey the commander of the front and the rear the head of the Red Army.
When the scheme and other documents were ready, G.N. Dankov reported on them to A.V. Khruleva. Andrey V. approved in principle and made little comments and ordered it urgently finalized. The next day, 27th July, A.V. Khrulev presented the documents to the Deputy Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars A.I. Mikoyan, who was in charge when the issues of army supplies, and expressed their views on the need to quickly improve the supply of troops and a robust structure of the rear. The basis of the proposals were based on recommendations developed by the department. At the same time Andrey V. handed over for examination "Regulations on the management of field forces in time of war." to Anastas Ivanovich.
On the same day Mikoyan reported to the project of reorganization of the rear Stalin then called AV Khruleva and announced that Supreme Commander agreed with the proposal and ordered to prepare for this issue a draft decision of the State Defence Committee.
After receiving such instructions, Andrey V. immediately summoned employees of the department, as well as a scientific consultant. Considering again the scheme of organization structure the rear, he took a pencil and a subordinate chief of logistics included one more service - artillery supplies.
K E. Goretskii strongly objected, arguing that it is impossible to identify the service with storage or food supply. In the end the younger A.V. Khrulev agreed with the arguments and ordered me to urgently redraw the scheme on a clean sheet, and he immediately phoned Stalin and asked to take it to him on urgent business.
I went to see Andrei Vasilyevich. I had been often before during the Finnish war, so I walked to the Kremlin on foot. I.V. Stalin respected Khruleva and almost always saw him out of turn. Relations between them, according to Stalin's Secretary A.N. Poskrebysheva were friendly.
... It was three in the morning, when the door of the room where we and Gorketskii continued to discuss a new project, suddenly opened and in rushed with great excitement Andrei Vasilievich. Without saying a word, he laid on the table schema. In the left corner of her blue pencil sprawling handwriting was written: "Approved. And the chief of the rear of the Red Army appoint AV Khruleva. Stalin. 28.07.1941. "
This design formed the basis for the decision of the State Defense Committee on the establishment of independent authorities rear of the Red Army. But since it was drawn with a pencil in a hurry, then the next day have a more relaxed atmosphere I drew in ink a second instance of schemes of unit Chief of the rear of the Red Army, which the People's Commissar of Defence of the USSR, Stalin approved the second time July 30, 1941! At the same time it was approved, and the "Regulations on the management of the Rear of the Red Army during the war."
Earlier, on July 28, AV Khrulev instructed Colonel G.N. Dankova develop draft order of People's Commissar of Defense to establish a self-governing bodies rear, and KE Goretskii to write the Regulations on the organs created by the rear of the Soviet Army. The department started to work together. By morning the drafts of these documents were prepared, and from 29 to 31 July, they finally fine-tuned in the General Amy Headquarters. August 1, 1941 was published NGO Order (Ministry of Defence) "On the organization of the General Logistics Department of the Red Army. On the organization of front and rear control of the army.” Management Regulations.
Since then, AV Khuleva did not supervise the affairs of the Main Quartermaster Directorate but transferred them to his deputy, Major General P. D. Davidov. All the days that followed were taken up with clearing the decision of the State Defence Committee, through the General Staff and the selection of people to staff the new control of the Rear of the Soviet Army.
Deputy Head of the Rear (Logistics) was appointed Major-General MV Zakharov and Military Commissar PA Ermolin, Divisional Commissar VA Bayukoa, Chief of Staff of the Rear (Logistics) - Major General PV Utkin.
The Party Central Committee held radical reorganization of logistic units in the center of the fronts and armies and the beginning of the war was very important. It is fully consistent with the conditions of war. The Armed Forces have received strong and extensive machine control rear. The union in the hands of the organization and management of the rear, allowing supply and evacuation more quickly address the work of logistics, streamline supply troops materiel, efficient use of all modes of transport and provide a solid military order in the rear.
The new organization rear of the Soviet Army fully justified itself in the Great Patriotic War.

1 After the Civil War A. V. Khrulev consistently served as military commissar of the regiment, division, deputy head of the political department of the military district, chief of the Central Military-Financial Management.
2. ЦАМО СССР. ф. 6Т. 03. 12018. д. Н7, дл. 1-10.
3. Т в и ж е. ф. 2, он. 793437, д. 5, дл. 545—-М7.

VIZh July 1979

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”