german Coal Miners in Ukraine

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
egmar

german Coal Miners in Ukraine

Post by egmar » 16 Feb 2014, 18:14

Searching for Info re german Coal Mine Workers who moved to Ukraine in Search of Work between 1918 and 1933: some of them returned after 1933 while others stayed in the Ukraine:
what is their Fate? Were they killed by Stalin in Holodomor before 1941, or forcemoved to Siberia like the german Farmers living since Centuries in the Stalingrad Region ("Wolgadeutsche"), or were there Survivors left in the Ukraine which may have assisted German Troops from 1941? If the latter, did some of them return to Germany until 1945, and if Yes given that some of them might have ended up in later D"D"R could they survive there freely, or have they be killed by Ulbricht Regime or thrown into communistic Forced Labor Camps or Prisons such as Bautzen and died there?

Thank You

egmar(a t)t-online.de

GregSingh

Re: german Coal Miners in Ukraine

Post by GregSingh » 08 Mar 2014, 05:59

You mentioned several, quite probable scenarios...
Here is one not considered so far and a real life example of a German coal miner in the Ukraine... :)
Gottfried Grünberg

ML59

Post by ML59 » 08 Mar 2014, 16:12

Nice to know. Amazing how he was lucky enough to escape the Great Terror unscathed.

Granite

Post by Granite » 10 Mar 2014, 10:24

I do not know much about this topic, but i find it interesting, i would like to learn more. I have some stories from my grandmother on tape, and one in particular, mentions working for German engineers in south east Ukraine in 1932. I do not know if they worked in coal mining or some other industry but it was an interesting little slice of life from the times. I can tell you what the evening of dec .24 1932 was like for the German engineers during the Holodomor, if you want.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”