Strategic bombing raids 1942-07-23 and 24

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
StefanSiverud

Strategic bombing raids 1942-07-23 and 24

Post by StefanSiverud » 31 Mar 2014, 22:00

I'm looking for information regarding USSR bombing raids performed on the night between 1942-07-23 and 24. At least one of the bombers, possibly two, got lost and dropped the bombs near Borgholm on Öland, Sweden. As far as I have been able tell, no one has managed to find out where the bomber(s) came from, what unit they were part of or where they were supposed to go.

Any, preferably English or German, books detailing all strategic bombing missions of the USSR or other ideas on where I can find the above information?

Thanks!

mantill

Re: Strategic bombing raids 1942-07-23 and 24

Post by mantill » 04 Apr 2014, 12:04

Hi Stefan

sorry I don't have anything specific but maybe a few clues.

The dates you give coincide with the battle for Estonia. The air war over Estonia was primarily fought by the air arm of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet (VVS KBF). Amongst other things the VVS KBF flew anti shipping mining operations and torpedo bomber missions in and around the Gulf of Riga.

In addition strategic bombing raids were flown against Berlin by VVS KBF from Saaremaa. Though the first of these raids occurred on the 7th of August, after the dates you give. The Soviet Long Range Airforce (DBA) also joined in the strategic bombing raids, though not until the middle of August so are unlikely to be the source of your aircraft.

So I would say it was likely the planes you are refering to came from VVS KBF, probably 8 BABr, which included the 1 MTAP and 57 BAP regiments. (Sorry I don't have a full OOB for VVS KBF on that date at hand.)

I would suggest the air records for these two regiments would be the best place to start hunting for your wayward bombers.

Regards

Marc

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 04 Apr 2014, 23:26

Given the ordinance dropped (most local sources claim 2 "Molotov breadbaskets", 8 HE bombs - presumably 50-100 kg each looking at the craters - and 1-2 flares) it sounds more like a strategic bombing raid. Given the bombs ended up on Borgholm, Öland, with additional bombs reported on the island of Bornholm, Denmark later that night, it would be most likely the intended target was north-eastern Germany.

Since the thread start (with the aid of Google Translate) I have found plenty of clues suggesting it may indeed have been a strategic bombing raid against East Prussia (Königsberg, Danzig or similar target, possibly even Warsaw in Poland), several of which appear to have been carried out during July 1942. The closest date I have found, however, is the 25th July, but I assume several dates are missing and the dates might be off slightly, especially given several of them were found in newspapers of English speaking countries of the era and without details except for the target.

Thanks for the tips, I will have a look if those units may have been involved. Any idea which museum/archive would be my best bet for inquiries? Any Russian sites detailing missions/missing planes similar to what can be found for western allied air forces?

What I'd really hope to find out is whether the aircraft made it back to friendly territory given the rather grave navigation error..

mantill

Post by mantill » 07 Apr 2014, 23:55

Given the size of the payloads you are talking about it would suggest the aircraft in question were smaller bombers, probably a DB-3 or maybe even an SB, rather than the larger IL-4's and TB-3's used by the DBA. This again would suggest VVS KBF maybe the source of your aircraft.

I can't suggest any sources for these.

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 13 Sep 2014, 23:32

I have been looking around and found this: http://militera.lib.ru/memo/russian/gol ... ae/16.html
The raid described where ten aircraft went missing (even if eight crews were later found to be safe, from what I can tell through the Google translation) due to thunder storms over East Prussia in July 1942 looks like a promising candidate - shame no date is given! Does anyone know when that particular raid took place?

Additionally, the bomb load was apparently 2 "Molotov breadbaskets" (one of which failed to spread the fire bombs), 9 HE bombs, one of them a 350 kg and the others probably lighter, and 2 flares. The ninth bomb was dropped outside Mönsterås on the mainland 15 km NE of Borgholm.

While eyewitnesses describe the aircraft coming out of the clouds, I have not been able to find any description of what it looked like (yet), but several witnesses describe the sound of the engines as very different from the Swedish air force aircraft they were used to hearing.

igorr

Post by igorr » 15 Sep 2014, 06:13

VVS KBF didn't bomb any distant targets in July 1942 - that's for sure. I memoirs in link Golovanov write "it seems like in July" but here source looks like a bit more serious than memoirs: http://victory.sokolniki.com/rus/Histor ... 10066.aspx
So Konigsberg was bombed four times in 19-26 June 1942. In some days in July targets were Memel, Liepaya (Libava) and Tilsit.

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 16 Sep 2014, 20:06

So if that is correct the target will most likely have been Memel/Klaipeda or Libau/Liepaja, or maybe Tilsit/Sovetsk. Where can I find more information? Tsamo?

igorr

Post by igorr » 17 Sep 2014, 03:47

I think, yes. You need information about ADD (Aviatsya Dal'nego Deystviya - Long range bomber aviation).

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 17 Sep 2014, 19:28

Thanks, I guess that's where I will have to look next.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”