New law will restrict access to historical archives?

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Der Alte Fritz

New law will restrict access to historical archives?

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 12 May 2014, 22:19

Have a look at this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/12/world ... .html?_r=0

as it puts forward the idea that historical research will become increasingly government controlled in Russia.

Art
Forum Staff

Re: New law will restrict access to historical archives?

Post by Art » 13 May 2014, 08:43

There is nothing about access to archives in the text actually. As I already said elsewhere the present hysterical reaction seems to be exaggerated as practical consequences would be most likely moderate if any. The main purpose is to demonstrate that politicians are struggling for all good against all bad blah-blah-blah-blah rather than to promote any deliberate policy.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 13 May 2014, 09:20

It is good to hear that this does not signal any change to access to historical archives, even on sensitive subjects. I think peoples concern comes after the tightening up after the laisee faire free-for-all under Yeltsin but then that happens both here in Britain and the USA.

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 13 May 2014, 09:20

It must be said that it's not the first Russian official effort against "historical falsification":
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=155712
The practical result (all that heated debates in the internet not included) was virtually zero. A pure show for public as was said. That makes me to view this case sceptically as well.

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 13 May 2014, 10:53

Der Alte Fritz wrote:It is good to hear that this does not signal any change to access to historical archives
There are problems indeed, but that are unrelated (yet unrelated) to the law discussed or ideology in general. For example the notorious law on privacy of personal data had a particularly serious effect. See the discussion of some consequences here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=159053
From my experience TsAMO blocked access to certain sections of documents (e.g. political report) for the fear that they might contain "personal information". The greatest potential problem with the present law is not some centralized censorship but rather promotion of the same sort of "initiative in the spot" or "administrative ardour" (Dostoyevksy) of low-level officials.

wenty

Post by wenty » 15 May 2014, 12:18

Just in the past 5 years or so Australia has adopted new Freedom of Information laws which allow everyone greater access to material such as that which would previously have been much more restricted or not available to the public at all. I would hope that Russia (and other countries who are in a similar boat) will one day follow suit - after all, suppression of information only leads to more speculation and nonsense about what might or might not be in the files.

Cheers,
Adam.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”