Kirov Cadets in the 4th Naval Infantry Brigade

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
keith A

Kirov Cadets in the 4th Naval Infantry Brigade

Post by keith A » 03 Dec 2014, 14:27

I found this in the excellent "The Organization and Order of Battle of Militaries in World War II."

"4"h Naval Infantry Brigade (07/41, from cadre from Seregy Mironovich Kirov Naval Academy, Leningrad, Red Banner Baltic Fleet; 09/41, assigned to Neva ...."

Can anyone tell me whether the cadre were cadets or cadet officers, with the bulk of the brigade recruited from ships of the Baltic Fleet? I assume the cadets would be officers in training but did they serve as ordinary riflemen?

regards

Keith

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Kirov Cadets in the 4th Naval Infantry Brigade

Post by Art » 03 Dec 2014, 15:57

"Kirov" was the name of the Military Medical Academy in Leningrad. The Naval Academy was called 'Voroshilov" :D
As for personnel they say:
Personnel were recruited from the submarine training detachment, called-up reservist, crews of ships under construction, volunteers. Command personnel were appointed from academic staff of military education establishments and reserve officers. 20 commanders were from the Naval Medical Academy... Average age was 36 years. There were men who were in their late forties. 1 and 2 battalion were manned with 3rd category reservists. A rifle company commanded by senior engineer-lieutenant V.N. Didenko was formed from the "Petropavlovsk" cruiser crew
http://www.pobeda1945.su/division/5803
"Petropavlovsk" was the former "Lützow" purchased from Germany and not fully completed by mid-1941.
To add confusion the Kirov Military Medical Academy and the Naval Medical Academy were different establishments, both in Leningrad.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”