A. M. Ermakov

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

A. M. Ermakov

Post by Jeff Leach » 10 Dec 2014, 21:54

Does anyone know why A. M. Ermakov was removed from command of the 50th Army in November 1941 and later arrested in December? He seems to have been one of the better corps / army commanders of 1941.

GregSingh

Re: A. M. Ermakov

Post by GregSingh » 11 Dec 2014, 01:03

It's A.N.Ermakov (Аркадий Николаевич Ермаков)

I have not seen original Zhukov's order which removed Ermakov from command on 22nd of November, but I suspect it had something to do with a fall of Stalinogorsk (Novomoskovsk) earlier on that day. (And Uzlovaya late on 21st). That was a major setback for Soviets and significant breakthrough by Guderian panzer group.
Possibly just bad timing for Ermakov as only a day earlier Zhukov issued an order which prohibited withdrawals and made commanders responsible for "execution of combat missions".

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Re: A. M. Ermakov

Post by Jeff Leach » 11 Dec 2014, 09:04

I was checking through my notes today and had written sometime ago, "Removed from command by order of General Žukov after the loss of the town of Stalinogorsk."

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”