Russian food rations

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Art
Forum Staff

Re: Russian food rations

Post by Art » 24 Sep 2016, 16:19

I expect this case belonged to the better part of the ration's range. The report hints to this explicitly. From what I remember that nutrition on the front was better than in military districts is a common theme in memoirs.
In any case I was curios how a usual ration looked like. It looks like a custom on the battle line was to have two hot meals in the morning and in the evening, each included a portion of soup and a portion of potato or porridge or similar stuff with meat. In between soldiers had a cold snack of broad with cooked meat or sausage or lard. Far from battle lines that could be replaced with three hot meals per day. Food was not haute cuisine exactly but nutritious with many fats.
The same report also mentioned efforts to introduce green grocery (salad, green onion etc) in rations and also the use of pine infusion (no idea how this thing was like) to provide for necessary vitamins.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”